Topic: Repetire Host 0.4 mm Layer instead of 0.1 mm

Hello fellow doodlers,

after a long time, waiting for some kapton tape to repair my extruder (holidays ftw), it's up and running again.

When I slice in repetier host, with the Solidoodle 0.1 mm configuration, the Layer thickness is always 0.4 mm.

The configuration of Sclicer is correct, and configured @0.1 mm but when sclicing is done, there is an comment about 0.4 mm layer thickness in the g-code and the layercount for the whole 15 cm is at 375 layers instead of over 500 (like in the 0.3 mm setting). Even the preview looks really bulky.

The next problem is the lack of filament getting dispensed. I have no clue where to configure the filament dispesing rate, but the machine isn't printing at all.

It drives me nuts... why doesn't it just work properly? I used the exact same configuration downloaded from the solidoodle homepage.

PLUS there is no Raft.

SHort: Printer is configured at 0.4 mm layer thickness instead of 0.1 even though solidoodle claims it's the 0.1 mm configuration.

HALP! I can't use the printer at ALL!!! (It's completly worthless at the moment, except I print 0.3 mm,.. even this doens't work well. (Never has)

Re: Repetire Host 0.4 mm Layer instead of 0.1 mm

Try going back a version with Repetier.  There have been some reports of a bug causing the Slic3r configs to not be used.

Slic3r doesn't have a raft, but you can get a similar effect by setting the 1st layer extrusion width to 200%.

3 (edited by Aldo 2013-01-08 21:17:16)

Thank you for your advice.

I have tried V8.2c and V8.0 without any effect. But wait! There is more sad

1. The Repetier starts on home position and then drives right into the middle of the build platform.

2. After that he starts printing, but the Filament doesn't stick at all.

3. This could be corrected, but the resolution of the print is just ridicioulous. The gaps between the lines are at about 2 mm.

4. The movements are so violent, that the filament rips the printed parts apart.

5. It's hard to see in the video, but the extrusion speed isn't even high enough to get material on the First Layer.

NONE!!! I REPEAT!!! NONE of the problems mentioned above occur by using pronterface. I used the Config File and did the "Monkey See Monkey Do"-Manual provided by Solidoodle. The Printer was merly used, so it's "out of the box".

+ The Bed Temperature has exactly 90 Degrees Celsius.

What could be the Problem? Please anybody help? Or post a working profile for 0.1mm?

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uzvg327htaoe … .29.38.mp4

Aldo,

Can you post the top commented part of your output gcode? I think other people have had this issue, where it is trying to print .1mm layers at a .3mm line height.

What OS and what version of Repetier-Host are you using?

In repetier, under the Slicer tab, make sure you have the SD profiles selected and not Default (For all settings, Print Settings, Printer Settings, Extruder 1,2,3 etc).

Sometimes in Repetier when you load in a config from the ini files, it does not select them afterwards. The Default settings have 0.4mm layer height.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

Aldo wrote:

Hello fellow doodlers,

after a long time, waiting for some kapton tape to repair my extruder (holidays ftw), it's up and running again.

When I slice in repetier host, with the Solidoodle 0.1 mm configuration, the Layer thickness is always 0.4 mm.

The configuration of Sclicer is correct, and configured @0.1 mm but when sclicing is done, there is an comment about 0.4 mm layer thickness in the g-code and the layercount for the whole 15 cm is at 375 layers instead of over 500 (like in the 0.3 mm setting). Even the preview looks really bulky.

The next problem is the lack of filament getting dispensed. I have no clue where to configure the filament dispesing rate, but the machine isn't printing at all.

It drives me nuts... why doesn't it just work properly? I used the exact same configuration downloaded from the solidoodle homepage.

PLUS there is no Raft.

SHort: Printer is configured at 0.4 mm layer thickness instead of 0.1 even though solidoodle claims it's the 0.1 mm configuration.

HALP! I can't use the printer at ALL!!! (It's completly worthless at the moment, except I print 0.3 mm,.. even this doens't work well. (Never has)

Personally, I would try to get the .3 printing working right before I jumped up to .1 as it would make troubleshooting a lot easier and quicker for problems like partial clogs and problematic filament which it seems you may be experiencing.

From the video: your gcode is messed up. The first layer is not right, bed is too low. Bed temp may be too low, not sure how you measured it?

Hope this helps smile

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback and time.

1. @ronsii: "From the video: your gcode is messed up. The first layer is not right, bed is too low. Bed temp may be too low, not sure how you measured it?"

- I have an Infrared Thermometer, the bed Temperature was at 80 degrees (Repetier showed 70 degrees).

2.@nickythegeek: "Can you post the top commented part of your output gcode?"

; layer_height = 0.1
; perimeters = 4
; top_solid_layers = 4
; bottom_solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.2
; perimeter_speed = 55
; infill_speed = 60
; travel_speed = 60
; scale = 1
; nozzle_diameter = .35
; filament_diameter = 1.67                                <- This one was changed by myself. I Measured my Filament.
; extrusion_multiplier = .8
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.42mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.42mm

3. @caswal: Thank you. I sliced manually in Slicer but it didn't help ether.

@All: I'm 100% shure the first Layer is the Problem. The Head of the Printer isn't close enough to the build platform, and isn't extruding enough material to get this "fat sticky raft" effect. I don't want to screw the Build Platform all the way up, because it works fine in pronterface.

If you don't want to adjust the Z offset screw in the back, you can try a negative number in the Z Offset setting in Slic3r under Printer settings.  Maybe start with -.1 and go from there.  You'll have to relice every time you tweak it however. 

You could also print the Z screw thumbwheel that has the markings on it.  Then you can remember what position works for Skeinforge and which works for Slic3r and dial it back and forth.

9 (edited by Aldo 2013-01-09 21:05:33)

Thanks Ian, but I'm quite shure Repetier is just trolling me.

I have used the Slicer external with the 0.1mm values, now the (cleaned) extruder is stopping in the right corner and extruding a blob. After this he proceeds to move to the print position. Now with an complety dirty blob of filament on the tip. This happens when I put the extrusion rate of the first layer a little higher (to get the raft at 250%).

After I changed nothing but the extrusion of the first layer back to normal (the program was never closed) I tried to slice again, and almost destroyed my printer. The head rushed to the front/left corner an ran over the allowed perimeter.
There is an relativly long screw which fits perfectly to the cable of the temperature sensor,... well, now I have to solder,.. again.

I'll leave Repetier alone. I never want to experience this sound again.

Did I mention the G-Code Preview showed the sliced part (carabiner) right in the middle of the printing area?

Edit: I attatched the G-Code. What the hell just happend?

Edit2: The Distance from objet "Loop" is just waaay to big! How the hell did this happen? This is a screenshot of the unchanged configuration! But the G-Code definetly shows an huge circle around the object. I didn't see this because I look in a too steep ankle. http://i.imgur.com/4wOBA.jpg

Edit3: Out of curiousity I sliced again. Same settings... look at this: http://i.imgur.com/U22rG.jpg

I'm out. Repetier is definetly broken,... or Slicer. I'll reinstall everything and retry.

Post's attachments

carabiner201.gcode 1001.99 kb, 6 downloads since 2013-01-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

10 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-01-09 21:16:46)

The dirty blob is called an 'anchor' and I had trouble with it at the back right corner as well.  You can remove that code altogether if you want by deleting the line with the anchor comment in slic3r config start g-code section.  I decided to print mine in the front left corner instead of the back right and now it works great.

I recommend trying a brim to replace the raft over the extrusion layer height change.  A brim of 2mm is good for most objects, 4mm should guarantee that it sticks to my bed (glass+hairspray mod, temp: 90).  Brims are easy to remove as well.

I've had the same problem with Repetier-Host wanting to slice at 0.4mm.  I work around it by hitting "configure" in the Slicer tab, then just slicing it myself using Slicer (so basically circumvent the Slicer integration with Repetier-Host).  It is a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

If you are getting the .4mm g-code, check the slic3r Setup in repetier.  If I put anything in the Configuration Directory text box, I get .4mm layers when slicing which is the default for slic3r.  Also,the drop downs will be greyed out but show my last configuration I viewed in the Slic3r settings which made me think it was using mine.