1 (edited by macmub 2012-08-17 22:22:47)

Topic: Solidoodle Guide 101 - Startup

Just wondering if any of you guys who have experience with printing would be interested in compiling a short dot point guide to how us novice's should go about starting up with our solidoodles. I think it should be up to a stage where we can start printing and start tweaking our settings to suit our personal applications.

We have to remember, some people buying these printers have absolutely no engineering or 3d printing background which will make it very difficult to get accustomed to. Personally Ive never touched a 3d printer in my life & im guessing alot of solidoodles customers haven't either.

The easier we make the introduction to the printer the less people will be running to the forums to complain about something "broken" that may have been easily avoided by having a easy walk though guide to follow. Lets face it, most of us will go weak at the knees when we see the solidoodle arrive and all patience & common sense will go straight out the window! Having a guide will certainly make me feel alot better.

At moment, mine reads something like this.

•    TEST AXIS
•   
•    UPDATE FIRMWARE
•   
•    TEST HOMING OF AXIS
•   
•    HEAT BED *CHECK TEMPS WITH LASER*
•   
•    HEAT NOZZLE *CHECK TEMPS WITH LASER*
•   
•    MEASURE DIA OF FILAMENT & ADJUST SLIC3R TO SUIT
•   
•    TEST NOZZLE - EXTRUDE PLASTIC *MAKE SURE NOZZLE UPTO TEMP*
•   
•    CALIBRATE EXTRUSION LENGTH
•   
•    TEST & ADJUST Z HEIGHT WITH PAPER
•   
•    PRINT TEST BOXES & SET FLOW RATE
•   
•    PRINT INDICATOR HOLDER
•   
•    LEVEL BED USING INDICATOR ASSY
•   
•    RESET Z HEIGHT USING INDICATOR & VOLT METER

I always feel better when ive got a checklist like this in front of me, means i shouldnt forget anything. Its clear, easy to understand. And it should get me to a point where I can start printing things and playing with my slic3r settings.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Dale

Re: Solidoodle Guide 101 - Startup

The first print doesn't have to be the best.   I think it would be-

Install software (This was done weeks prior I'm sure, like shaking the presents under the christmas tree)

Connect Printer

Start Heating

While heating run each axis to the endstops to make sure everything goes in the right direction (don't use home buttons)

Check the heat and extrude some of the test filament to make sure it works before replacing it with filament from the spool.

Print a bottle opener using Skeinforge and the Solidoodle profile

Use it to open a celebratory beverage (never mind that it is a twist-off)

Then from there do the firmware update and calibration things, the first of which should be checking bed level with the paper to get started, and dialing in the Z Offset screw.

I would recommend ordering a dial indicator and digital caliper while waiting on the printer so those are ready to go when it arrives.  I'm not sure how the indicator mount will work with the current printers because the bottom set of bolts on the extruder have been turned around the other way.

I'm working on a printable tool thing that will make it possible to calibrate the X and Y axis by using a caliper to measure the movement of the extruder, rather than measuring the dimensions of a print.  It's a track that clips onto the bed, and a box that slides in the track.  You push the box along the track with the nozzle and use the caliper to measure the distance between the box and the end of the track.

3 (edited by lawsy 2012-08-18 01:04:15)

I agree that this is a great idea, but I think it should not be in a forum like this, but rather an official Solidoodle hosted wiki.

If we wait for them to write the info it will never happen, but if they install the wiki then the good people here and on the Google group can get to work.

-edit-

I've just emailed them requesting they set it up.

Started moving some of this info over to Getting Started on the wiki.