1 (edited by creation_49221 2015-01-29 02:24:11)

Topic: Press Success... Maker Faire Robot Action Figure PIP

There has been a lot of frustration regarding the Solidoodle Press. My order number was in the range of the first units that shipped in January of this year, so I expected "first-run" problems that usually come with new technology.

First Impressions (overall, best out-of-box experience yet):
Out of the box, the Press printed... well, OK. There were some "first-run" issues with the unit - like the wire blocking the axis stop, causing the leveling sensor to not drop, resulting in the print head jamming into the bed! - which I had. Very frustrating indeed. The way that it printed, once I tied the wire up, and did the basic z-offset calibration, was just OK.
However, it printed well enough that it really was an out-of-the-box experience. This was the least (By far!) I ever had to do to get a 3D printer going from box to first print... for the price. Having a printrbot simple metal, though, I knew I wanted the oob quality to be improved (similar priced units).

Also, great looking device! Looks like it belongs in the room :-)

Make magazine did a fantastic job this year of reviewing printers and I always like to use the same test prints they did and compare the results (when possible).
The one that really shines is the- Maker Faire Robot Action Figure PIP - this tests a lot of of features but mostly shows the Print-In-Place capability of the printer.

Out-of-box -> No PIP :-(

After minor tweaking of the software (and some persistence!) -> YES PIP! :-)

When I say minor, I really mean minor compared to other 3D printers - especially at this price point. Ultimately, the problem was over-extrusion. I calibrated the extrusion by normal means, measuring 100mm, extruding 100mm, taking the difference and using GCODE to set and save the new value.
!! All done in SoliPrint !!
M501 to see original setting
Original -> M92 E138 , 100mm extrude went 135mm at 250 degrees
Changed -> M92 E103 , 100mm extrude went 100mm
M501 to see changed setting,
M500 to save
At this point the extrusion multiplier can be used when needed/necessary
!! All done in SoliPrint !!

No mechanical changes, No need to switch to Repetier to change settings not in SoliPrint... Still Able to succeed in PIP

Notes on SoliPrint:
For a simple, easy to use, first of its kind software it does what it needs to. Bugs are expected, enhancements are sure to come, but there are a lot of options and its a good first showing.
Needed enhancements:
- Pause Print Button
- Emergency Stop Button
- Option to turn off extruder and bed heat after a long print is complete
All are needed for even basic users in my opinion.

Attached are pictures of the Makey Robot Action Figure. Head moves, arms move, legs move, leg joints move.... So SO cool!

P.S. I am new to the forum so I couldn't post links to my tweaks. I tried explaining without droning, so, if anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks! D

Post's attachments

IMAG1698.jpg
IMAG1698.jpg 149.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMAG1702.jpg
IMAG1702.jpg 423.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMAG1711.jpg 175.17 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Press Success... Maker Faire Robot Action Figure PIP

I remember reading that tapping the button on top of the printer will pause. Haven't tried it.

Nice Prints!

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

trayracing wrote:

I remember reading that tapping the button on top of the printer will pause. Haven't tried it.

You have to hold the button for 2 seconds to pause.  Of course if you hold it for longer then the printer shuts off.