Topic: A big hello from the Netherlands

hello fellow doodles my name is Kay and im from the Netherlands
i have studied game design and development but there are no jobs for me here so im now going to do something completely different like getting my truckers license
im still making 3D models for fun and my own projects so when i found out about the solidoodle i could not be happier

after waiting 5 months and 3 days i finaly recieved my printer a few days ago
when i got the big box i directly unpacked it and tried to connect everything
i say i tried because i did not think about that a US power cable is a little different than the european one tongue
so after buying a conversion plug i got everything set up and working out of the box wich made me very happy

i did stumble on a little annoying problem and that is on prints that take about 1 and a half hour
somewhere random it misses a step on the y axis and on the y axis only and always in the same direction
it than just continues printing but its painfully visible (see attachment)
sometimes it happens only once and in other objects even 4 times just destroying the object

this does not happen on prints that take 20 or 30 minutes so i guess this is completley random

i searched the internet for sollutions and tried quit a few of them:

checking the belts tension,
making sure the motor gets enough power but not to much
checking the lubrication on the rods <-

i tried moving the print head on the y axis by hand with the motors disabled but i need to use 2 hands and about 2~3 times more strengt than when i try to move it in the X axis, is this normal??

and after 2 days i already have my first clog....

i found a lot of helpfull posts about this so i will be making a trip to my local hardware store to get everything required to get rid of this pest, and maybe even drop by a music instrument store

beside these 2 things it works perfectly
i noticed a lot of people saying that repetier-host is better than pronterface
i tried the software and it does look a lot better and it has everything needed and the best part is that you can freely place parts and visually see how big they are going to be

in repetier host slicing with skeinforge does not work
when printing, it just does weird sounds and movement
and i have yet to get the slic3r part working
the only real problem i have with slic3r is that i believe that the Z-bed is to high because it squishes the plastic a lot more than in pronterface using skeinforge

in the end it is wel worth the 5 months waiting and i am really happy with it

if anyone has any extra tips or info for me about my Y-axis problem, with repetier-host or some DO's and DONT's with removing clogs i would really appreciate it

your newest member:
Kay

Post's attachments

Test.jpg
Test.jpg 1.14 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: A big hello from the Netherlands

Hi Kuon, hast Du immer noch Probleme mit der Y- Bewegung?Da könnte ich Dir helfen. du könntest mir eventuell helfen meinen SD3 zum laufen zu bringen. Ciao, Ulli

Hello Kay, Welcome to the best forum for solidoodle users!!!

Sorry to hear your printer is messing the prints, since you mention it usually happens on longer prints it may the driver boards getting too hot... try a small fan pointing at the electronics on the back of the printer.

You also mention it is a lot harder to hand move the y carriage...it should be a little harder just because there is more moving parts,belts and pulleys but it sounds like it is too much from your description.... one thing that can cause binding is the y axis not being perpendicular to the x axis... to test this just make a big 90 degree 'L' and have it print a couple layers then check it whith a square and adjust as necessary using one of the back y shaft pulleys.

Other than that the best advice I can give you is search through the troubleshooting section on this forum as most problems have been covered multiple times.

And yes slicing between slic3r and skeinforge uses different z heights and should be compensated for.

Hi Kuon and welcome!

I was in your country a couple years ago. It was a nice place and everyone spoke better English than I do!

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

Hi Kuon,
bei mir war auch die Y- Bewegung ein Problem. ich musste die ganzen Teile auseinanderbauen nachdem Y total blockiert war. die Ursache war ein Kunststoff-Lagerteil das nicht gerade produziert war. Fest angezogen hat es die Lagerbuchse verkantet. Die Lösung war einfach. Dieses Lagerteil habe ich einfach nicht fest verschraubt, ist also etwas lose. Die Y- Bewegung ist jetzt wieder beweglich.
Viel Erfolg!
Ciao Ulli

sorry ulli paul i dont speak a word of German even though we are sort of neighbors
try contacting solidoodle help desk they are very fast with their reply's

the Y problems are long gone and i dont even know why it stopped doing it XD
almost finished my second kilo of plastic and seriously considering a filastruder if they are available:P
had a lot of problems with the printer but the help desk is second to non
they reply within a day and really know what their doing and always helped me on my way