1 (edited by mike.caputo 2015-01-27 14:40:44)

Topic: two Macs - one can see printer, one can't

Successfully printed to my new Press from a 15" Macbook Pro Retina running Yosemite, but I'd really rather dedicate an older Mac Pro (tower). The Mac Pro is an old 2006 running Lion (10.7). Fresh install. Everything updated. It's a killer computer, perfect as a file server and print server, but can't update beyond 10.7 (it's Rev A of the firmware, a first-gen Mac Pro).

All the software for the Press successfully installed (Soliprint, Repetier-Host, etc) but none of it can "see" the printer.

If I unplug the printer and plug it into the Macbook Pro Retina, it works, so I know the issue is with the Mac Pro.

I think the OS should be enough (10.7) so I'm thinking it's a problem with the USB bus.

Does the Press require USB 2 or 3? Pretty sure the ol' Mac Pro is USB 1.1.

Appreciate any thoughts,
Mike C.

UPDATE - I checked the specs on the Mac Pro and it looks like all the USB ports are USB 2, so either it's a software issue or the Press requires USB 3?

Re: two Macs - one can see printer, one can't

USB 3 is backward compatible with 2.  Chances are your Mac is seeing the USB device, it just doesn't know what to do with it.

So, no one has any idea why this would be?

It's a clean new install of OS 10.7, all updates installed. Soliprint nor Repetier Host cannot see the printer, although it looks like it's a visible device on the USB bus. And my other Mac works great with the printer (but that one is running OS 10.10)

Mike

mike.caputo wrote:

So, no one has any idea why this would be?

It's a clean new install of OS 10.7, all updates installed. Soliprint nor Repetier Host cannot see the printer, although it looks like it's a visible device on the USB bus. And my other Mac works great with the printer (but that one is running OS 10.10)

Mike

This is pretty much what happens in Windows, the Press is visible on the USB bus but can't be seen in software.  It seems to be a timing issue more than anything, like the Press timeouts and stops listening for commands after a set time.

What I've done to get consistent connections, again this is on Windows, is make sure Soliprint is running before I turn the Press on and sometimes I have to turn the Press off then immediately back on to get it to be seen.

While USB 3 is supposedly backward compatible with USB 2 I have had a number of issues with USB serial devices on Windows machines where they initially won't work over USB 3. I actually ended up contacting FTDI (The company that makes the chip) about it, and it is a known issue.

It is possible that this is an issue with their Mac drivers as well. Maybe try contacting them about it?

Some success!  Got Repetier-Host to see and control the printer. Trying to print something now.
Still can't get Soliprint to see it, tho.
?

What version of Soliprint are you using? 1.1 doesn't work on Macs.

Fredjikrang wrote:

V1.1 has just been fixed for Mac today, have a look at their FB page, they have posted a link for the new download

Robny wrote:
Fredjikrang wrote:

V1.1 has just been fixed for Mac today, have a look at their FB page, they have posted a link for the new download

It bothers me that they released a fix for v1.1 and are still listing the version as v1.1.0.

>> V1.1 has just been fixed for Mac today, have a look at their FB page, they have posted a link for the new download

Can someone post a link for the download? I'm not on Facebook. 

Thanks in advance!