Topic: Dremel Drill Press V1.0

Not sure where the borderline between prints and projects are. Anyway, spent quite a bit of time this evening modelling myself up a Dremel drill press. Almost everything will be 3d printed, apart from rubber bands/springs and PVC tubing as the vertical frame.

Here are some renders of the completed model:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iPJIkb8hydA/UOmSLNvo6PI/AAAAAAAAA9E/25KjnJOBsis/s640/DrillPressFront.png
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c-EBVuoUMxI/UOmSLGhqsjI/AAAAAAAAA9I/stH5fTShbrQ/s640/DrillPressRear.png
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WmByMuLJXB8/UOmSLobNlRI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/PNw6QxawfPA/s640/DrillPressInternals.png

Everything is designed to snap together. Here is a wireframe of the pinion/axle setup:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o2zl7wtXqQg/UOmTlYFWzYI/AAAAAAAAA94/syhG6fdk3GU/s640/PinionWireframe.png

One it all works, and I have all the tolerances sorted out. I'll release the STL's.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

2 (edited by Tomek 2013-01-06 15:50:14)

Re: Dremel Drill Press V1.0

i'm excited! You're the man. This will be really nice to have around. My university makes it a PITA to use their student equipment, so to have a mini drill press in my dorm makes me much more comfortable to leave my father's workshop and head back to school tongue.  The gears on your Z-lift in the initial photo seems a little poorly suited to plastic (they seem to be metal-sized) but maybe I'm just not imagining well.

Depending on what your drilling into, you may want to design it to use a cordless or corded drill instead. Would give you a better chuck and better range of speed.

Cwalster wrote:

Depending on what your drilling into, you may want to design it to use a cordless or corded drill instead. Would give you a better chuck and better range of speed.

That's a lot of weight for plastic parts!

5 (edited by Cwalster 2013-01-06 19:44:51)

Some of the smaller cordless drills are in the same weight category, though I guess the torque would be more of a concern. It just comes down to the size of bit your trying to use.

Most cordless drills don't have speed switches, or a threaded collar like the dremel. You can buy properl dremel drill presses, but where is the fun in that?

@Tomek I did test print the rack and pinion before I designed the whole drill press. They seem to work just fine.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

I'm going to be using your design or a close derivative soon. Been making a few PCBs and want a good solution.

Ordered a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Small-PC … amp;_uhb=1

Looking forward to you releasing your STL files.

I finally have some time this weekend to actually print it.

caswal wrote:

I finally have some time this weekend to actually print it.

Show us picture's when it's done. I could use a drill press myself at home.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

So got it all printed and working. Only needed to reprint 1 piece so far. Here are some photo's, will add some better ones when I get the DSLR back off my friend.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HizJPpWu3Mw/UQ-cEX61P2I/AAAAAAAABE4/APi95yJ8x-0/s720/P1000703.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Jw78LVvZ9QI/UQ-b_Qj3_lI/AAAAAAAABEg/Fevu1Wk0GHw/s1280/P1000706.JPG

And a video if it in action:

Very nicely done

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Great job caswal

Nice!!! Caswal, So are you going to design a vice for the baseplate? ... maybe with a crossslide smile

Better yet, model a hole in the wheel (if possible, don't know the tolerances) and then make a spindle handle that locks in to the hole to allow you to spin the wheel via the handle.

cckens wrote:

Better yet, model a hole in the wheel (if possible, don't know the tolerances) and then make a spindle handle that locks in to the hole to allow you to spin the wheel via the handle.

Not a bad idea, will give it a go. (If I can can get the wheel off again, pretty tight push fit).

I'll get my DSLR and make a proper video tonight talking about it, and take it apart a bit more.

Looks great, Are you going to release the STLs?

My drills and motors arrived yesterday.

lawsy wrote:

Looks great, Are you going to release the STLs?

My drills and motors arrived yesterday.

Got a couple of things I want to adjust before I release the STL's. Things that I fixed with the dremel post print. Give me a day or 2.

Still havn't had time to fix these up like I want. So I'll just put the STL's up and list the couple of problems I had. This'll be spread over a couple of posts. As it is a lot of STL files.

Post's attachments

DremelHolder.STL 18.93 kb, 18 downloads since 2013-02-16 

DriveGear.STL 19.61 kb, 18 downloads since 2013-02-16 

MainCarriage_2.STL 35.43 kb, 18 downloads since 2013-02-16 

MainShaft.STL 4.96 kb, 15 downloads since 2013-02-16 

Rack.STL 59.65 kb, 17 downloads since 2013-02-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The Dremel holder has slots in the back of it, to connect it to the rack. I found these got a little misprinted (the overhangs are a little much), and were not quite wide enough so needed to dremel'd a little wider.

The Shim is a little cludge fix, that gets stuck to the back of the main carriage at the top. To keep the 15mm PVC pipe/carriage in alignment.

I would also integrate the Wheel, Wheel Connector Shaft, and Square Connector all as one piece, rather than 3 seperate pieces.

All of the fittings such as the shafts (both square and round) will need a little bit of a sand.

Post's attachments

ShaftEndStop.STL 4.18 kb, 15 downloads since 2013-02-16 

Shim.STL 2.62 kb, 15 downloads since 2013-02-16 

SquareConnector.STL 684 b, 16 downloads since 2013-02-16 

Wheel.STL 131.72 kb, 16 downloads since 2013-02-16 

WheelConnectorShaft.STL 4.96 kb, 16 downloads since 2013-02-16 

The final 2 pieces.

The main carriage also uses an M6 Bolt and Nut to grip onto the 15mm PVC pipe used as the vertical rail/support.

Post's attachments

Base.STL 41.88 kb, 16 downloads since 2013-02-16 

PVC Holder.STL 60.43 kb, 16 downloads since 2013-02-16 

Thanks caswal.

Mine will be a bit different but you have saved me a great deal of time, no doubt.

Just had mine partly break on a part I feared it might happen on. I had one of the shaft parts (just as it enters the pinion gear) sheer across the grain.

is there an lock/holding screw to keep rack from moving due to vibration running Dremel?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs