Topic: Green Power Light

I notice that when I print in soliprint that the power lights on my press will fade in and out.  Then when I print in RH the glow is steady and unchanging.  That leads me to believe that there is an extra serial command that soliprint sends to control the green power lights.  For fun, I want to add that command to my RH start script.

I don't have my printer in front of me this morning to test, but I found a few clues in the source code.  Nothing about lights or LEDs for the Printrboard motherboard, but there is an output pin defined to tell the attiny chip to do something.  I seem to remember it mentioned that this attiny chip is a new addition, only for the Press.  If the attiny is the controller for the lights, then codes M100 and M101 would seem to control the lights.

#define PRINTING_PIN         PIND4            // OUTPUT tell ATtiny we are printing
        case 100: // M100 - set printing status
        {
            digitalWrite(PRINTING_PIN, HIGH);
            SERIAL_ECHOLNPGM("Print started");
            break;
        }
        case 101: // M101 - turn off printing status
        {
          digitalWrite(PRINTING_PIN, LOW);
            SERIAL_ECHOLNPGM("Print ended");
            break;
        }

2 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-26 15:39:10)

Re: Green Power Light

Wasn't it a tad overkill for them to add an Attiny just for this? Surely it does more, or there was an easier way and they didn't do it... Did they release the code running on the Attiny as well? It would be nice to know what it does so button functionality could be transferred to another board.

3 (edited by thatdecade 2015-01-28 15:55:12)

Re: Green Power Light

No source was released for the attiny.  They are not obligated to do so as it likely was not based on an open source project.

I confirmed the following codes to control the green light.

• Code M100 will command the green light to fade in and out.

• Code M101 will command the green light to be steady.

I also noticed that the attiny takes a few seconds for the light to respond to the command.  Processes the light animation in a loop, and checks the input PRINTING_PIN before processing the animation again.