Topic: Press making a loud noise on power up?

My Press has been working fairly well since it came in, but last night I've started having problems with it.

Upon power up, it starts making a very loud noise, almost like a motor or a fan working too hard, coming from somewhere inside the back wall of the printer.

It's definitely not the same noise as the Y-axis grinding issue. Last night I was able to get it to stop making the noise after rebooting it a few times and moving it around a bit, but tonight I can't seem to get it to stop.

I thought it was the test print getting caught in some sort of machinery at first, but I've finally managed to shake it loose and it still seems to be making the noise. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix?

Re: Press making a loud noise on power up?

Mine does it too....... seems to stop when connected to software.

3 (edited by Illy 2015-01-24 17:22:09)

zburhop wrote:

That didn't seem to work for me?

Last night the problem seemed to fix itself again and I'm entirely not sure how. Turned it on after a lot of tinkering, was still making the noise, turned it off and went to grab a camera to document the noise... Turned it on again and it was gone.

And now it's back again today. 100% sure it has not been touched since I was done using it last night and now, so not sure what is going on. Was able to catch it on video this time, though.

youtube.c om/watch?v=utAF44zXBIg

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-24 17:26:17)

Illy wrote:
zburhop wrote:

That didn't seem to work for me?

Last night the problem seemed to fix itself again and I'm entirely not sure how. Turned it on after a lot of tinkering, was still making the noise, turned it off and went to grab a camera to document the noise... Turned it on again and it was gone.

And now it's back again today. 100% sure it has not been touched since I was done using it last night and now, so not sure what is going on. Was able to catch it on video this time, though.

youtube.c om/watch?v=utAF44zXBIg

You have a fan with failing bearings. No big deal. Tap the fan where the blades connect to the motor while its in motion. Usually this will align the bearings back up and stop the noise. Solidoodle uses junky sleeve bearing fans (can't blame them, they probably significantly reduce costs). Consider replacing it.