Topic: Y axis not working anymore

During a print last night, the Y axis on my printer stopped working. After canceling the print and attempting to home on the Y axis I confirmed that something mechanical was wrong. The Y motor, and the attached pulley is turning, however, the extruder assembly does not respond.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Re: Y axis not working anymore

I would examine both pulleys that connect the stepper to the shaft at the back of the printer. 

Each has two set screws (you need a 1.5mm allen wrench).  I'd guess that the one on the rear shaft is loose...  That is a problem I had that was causing major backlash. 

It can be difficult to tell whether that back shaft is rotating or not... I made a mark on it with a sharpie, so I could determine if it was moving when the belt moved.

I meant to post a picture showing those pulleys for the "Press Problems" thread, but I haven't taken one yet.

Re: Y axis not working anymore

Dream-Cypher,

Thanks for the advice. It was a loose set screw. I tightened it back up, and the y axis is now working correctly. However, I've noticed that the axis motor gets very hot. So hot, that it appears to be melting the the little belt that it drives.

Has anyone else noticed this?