1 (edited by aeschneider.tech 2015-01-18 15:30:36)

Topic: SoliPrint says bed and extruder aren't heating up

When I got my printer, I set it up at work and started doing some test pieces. Halfway through a print it stopped and crashed (I guess? I'm new at this).

It was the end of the work day anyway, so I took it home with me.

Now when clicking the "Heat Printer" it reads that the nozzle is at 0 degrees and the print bed is 15 degrees.

Tried two different computers (both running Windows 8.1) and problem is the same.

Any ideas on how to fix this software issue (which is what I am assuming it is)?

Re: SoliPrint says bed and extruder aren't heating up

A further update:

I have installed Soliprint on my Windows Vista laptop and same issue. It will not heat up either the bed or the extruder.

I have downloaded Repeteir (and while I am not familiar with this program), it hooked up to my Press and I clicked "Heat Bed" and "Heat Extruder". It said that it was heating it up, but both the bed and extruder are cold to the touch.

Connections to the motherboard on the bottom look fine. Nothing loose. Connections look fine to the extruder and the print bed (from what I can see).

Trying to figure out this problem, as I'd really like to print today.

Are you sure R-H is actually connected?  Do you have control over the motors?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I don't have control over the motors.

In Repetier host /printer settings/ connection tab is it set to serial printer not virtual and correct com port?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

I have tried it on both COM3 and COM4 - I think it should be COM4 based on the SoliPrint connection I had.

Look at device manager to see what port it is actually connected to.  Make sure reset on connect is disabled plus everything mentioned above.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Almost got it working. There must be some sort of bad software connection.

New update: We tried a new cable and -gasp- it started working! We're sitting there watching the bed and extruder heat up, and they get to the desired temperature! We then did a test extrusion of 10mm, and that worked. Then, as we opened the door to grab the extruded plastic so we could run the config - it crashed again and we can't get the connection back.

What really stinks is that I've been reading about all these other problems that people have been having (which seem very fixable) and I haven't seen anyone else with this problem on this forum. I'm doing my best to troubleshoot - and I'm ready to troubleshoot the actual printer!

I hope this gets resolved soon, as I'd really like to print something with my first 3D printer.

So a new cable seemed to fix the problem, but after touching the printer it failed. 
Static discharge maybe messing with your USB connection?  I would focus on the USB connection ensuring it is good and solid with a quality cord.  I have seen instances where having the wrong type of light plugged in next to the printer has messed up the USB connection.

Have you ever encountered a problem with a printer not liking the connection to a laptop? Is it recommended to connect the printer to a desktop vs a laptop?

There is no particular recommendation as far as laptop vs desktop.  I routinely run 3 printers from my laptop with no issues.
I have another laptop that no matter how hard I try just wont connect.

Tried two new cords and plugging both the laptop and the printer directly into the wall instead of into the same surge protector. Nothing else is plugged into that outlet. Going to try to use the desktop computer instead of the laptop next.

No dice on the desktop. Extruder reads 0 degrees - which is freezing - which seems impossible to me. Bed is reading at 16.7ish, which is room temperature.

Extruder reading zero would indicate a problem with the wiring of that thermistor.  Follow the wires from the nozzle all the way to the board.

Alright. Was able to follow all wires regarding the nozzle and the bed to the board. All four connectors seem to be seated well on the board, the wires seem secure in them. I was able to test the wires going to the H-Ext with my multimeter and those wires are good all the way to the nozzle. I can't get to the end of the wires of the E-Temp near the nozzle though. I am not sure how else to test these things. I haven't tried testing the bed wires with my multimeter either.

I'm pretty new at this stuff, so let me know if I am doing it wrong. And thanks for all the help.

Did you check for continuity or resistance  across the thermistor?

17 (edited by aeschneider.tech 2015-01-19 23:18:55)

I checked for continuity on the H-Ext.

I think that would be a safe assumption.

I can't access any wires to check for continuity on the E-Temp.

You can't unplug it from the board?

I unplugged it from the board - I got some resistance going across the two wires. Good sign, I assume.

Ummm how much resistance?

Multimeter reads 144 when switched to 200k dial.

I am not the thermistor expert by any means but I thought they should be somewhere around 100.  Hopefully elmoret will chime in on this as he has a much better understanding of what values to expect.

I have brought the printer back to my work to try it with my work computer (it was the first computer I tried it with and was successful). Also no dice. I've tried several printer cables and variations of where it was plugged in. Is there an easy way to reset the firmware maybe on the motherboard? Or any other options to try?