Re: Repetier host

it is indeed the Y-axis. I just checked all four of the set screws in those two gears off the Y-motor, they're all tight.  I just changed the EEPROM steps for Y - 80 was default, so 80 * 9.70 / 10 = 77.6 is where I set it, running another test now.  Almost there, I think.

27 (edited by krel 2015-01-22 01:16:32)

I have my X and Y steps tweaked now such that the cube is coming out at about 10.05 in both directions, and I increased the feed steps a bit, up to 105.  I also added a five second delay between layers which has really helped with the overall shape. I'm getting very close to having this printing like I want, but I have four issues remaining that I could use some input on.

1. One of the four corners is still coming out a little flattened, the other three are nice and sharp.  In the bottom right picture, it's the bottom right corner.

2. The top fill isn't as solid as I'd like, there's some gaps.  Perhaps my extruder temp is a little low?  I have RH106 set up to start the extruder and bed at 240/70, then drop to 235/50.

3. There's a "foot" for lack of a better term around the base of the piece.  You can see it pretty well in the left picture.  Is this also perhaps a function of temperature?

4. Finally, the height of the block, "Z" is only about 9.35mm.  Do I just need to tweak the Z steps per mm in the firmware as I did with the Y until I get close to 10?  Could this be related to #3 at all, perhaps it's sagging down/out a bit for the first few layers?  When I increase the Z steps, do I also need to increase the feed steps per mm?

As soon as I get this working correctly I'll screenshot all my config tabs to share.

http://i.imgur.com/GEi6vLa.jpg

You have a lot of backlash happening so you might look at your belts.
Also I am fairly certain the extruder on the press has a .9 degree stepper.  That means there is no reason for that much Moire.  You need to adjust the VREF on that driver.
Both of these things will help with your top layer.
As far as the Foot it looks like your z is not moving real consistently and your first layer a little to squished.  Other than that your prints are looking pretty OK.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I just wanted to note that using soliryans info posted above I got The latest repetier host working with my press.  Now I can use CURA to slice instead of slic3r.  I printed (2) 3 hour jobs yesterday with much better results and no jams.

I've tweaked the Z steps, it's at 450.00 now (default was 400) and it's producing a block that's just a hair over 10mm high now, 10.02ish.  Moire is next, sounds like.  As far as the first layer being squished, in Slic3r config under layers and perimeters, the layer height is at 0.3 and the first layer height is at 0.36, settings copied from soliprint.  Should I tweak that?

I don't think I'd go much higher but what about the z offset as part of the auto level.  I am not familiar with how that all works but there must be a way to set the height past just using first layer height.  What I am saying is how do you set the nozzle height to the bed for the first layer?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Good question.  Looking through the Slic3r config, there's the layer height section in layers and perimeters, and that has "layer height which is 0.3 and First layer height which is 0.36.  On the Advanced tab, there's an Extrusion width section, and in there we have the Default extrusion width, which is set to 0 (auto), First layer which is set to 200%, I can change that to 0 for "default" whatever that means.

This would have to be on the g-code for the auto leveling sequence of Z offset in slicer.

oh - I'm using the start g-code settings that were provided by soliryan (I think.)

G21; set mm units
G90; set absolute coordinates
G28 X0 Y0; home x and y
G29; probe bed
G92 E0; reset extrusion distance

Warning to anyone adjusting the steps/mm in Repetier Host. 

Lowering the Steps/mm on the X axis will result in the probe not deploying, which can lead to a Z crash when attempting to probe the bed.

36 (edited by mikeflynn 2015-01-22 07:08:16)

mikeflynn wrote:

I've got the latest version of Repetier Host running (Mac) and trying to print this empty cube for some calibration: cisana.net/extruder-calibration (Sorry, I'm apparently allowed a maximum of zero links so you'll have to copy/paste.)

The brim and base all print fine with Repetier and their suggested settings but when it gets to the walls of the cube the speed picks up and the extruder can't seem to keep up. The filament isn't coming out fast enough leaving gaps and I hear (and see) the thumping sound of the extruder wheel stuttering. I then printed the same cube, with the same settings (as many as Soliprint's Sli3r gives you) on Soliprint and while it printed the walls a lot more slowly, it went fine without any stuttering / thumping.

Any idea what the difference is with Repetier's settings and Soliprints that would cause this?

I still can't figure out this issue I'm having between Soliprint and Repetier / Slic3r. Here's two half-finished prints from the same STL file (the one from the post in the quote above) with as many of the same settings Soliprint would give me access too:

Soliprint: soliprint.JPG
Repitier: repitier.JPG
Side by Side: both.JPG

The Repitier print seems to take an odd path to a wider brim (set at 3mm) and then the print starts to stutter and won't extrude consistently while printing the walls. None of this is a problem for Soliprint. I'm at a loss.

Post's attachments

both.jpg 1.38 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

repitier.JPG
repitier.JPG 752.82 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

soliprint.JPG
soliprint.JPG 823.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

krel wrote:

I have my X and Y steps tweaked now such that the cube is coming out at about 10.05 in both directions, and I increased the feed steps a bit, up to 105.  I also added a five second delay between layers which has really helped with the overall shape. I'm getting very close to having this printing like I want, but I have four issues remaining that I could use some input on.

1. One of the four corners is still coming out a little flattened, the other three are nice and sharp.  In the bottom right picture, it's the bottom right corner.

2. The top fill isn't as solid as I'd like, there's some gaps.  Perhaps my extruder temp is a little low?  I have RH106 set up to start the extruder and bed at 240/70, then drop to 235/50.

I'm experiencing both of these issues, regardless of using Slic3r, cura, or Simplify 3D. 

I've tried slowing the infill rate, which may have helped a slight amount, but still doesn't result in a solid top layer.  Maybe the problem is due to not printing an entirely solid piece, but shouldn't I be able to use 20-50% infill for most of the piece and still have a solid top?  (The third piece, printed with Simplify 3D, had an extruder jam, and didn't finish, so the small tower never got a solid infill.  but the two shorter "steps" completed, and as you can see, they still have gaps, rather than a solid top.)

In regards tot he Y axis, I had tightened the bets on the stepper/shaft due to major backlash, but I still seem to have a small amount.  All of my parts are withing close tolerance on the X and Z axis, but the Y axis is consistently .5-.6 mm smaller, regardless of whether it is a 10mm part or a 30mm part.  This indicates some type of additional backlash, I believe, but I'm not sure where.  You can see this effect on the Concentric circles, which have flat spots on the front and back.

I have adjusted the extruder stepper to reduce moire... it didn't help with the top layer much.

Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/1q5kr3A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FUYSmzx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OkLJgoL.jpg

How many top layers are you printing? I believe that the default in Soliprint is 4.

I really wish I had a Press at my disposal.  What I can tell you is most of your issues appear to be mechanical in nature.
I would focus on the Y-axis and proper alignment of those belts.
If you are using Slic3r you can change the extrusion width for different things like the top layer so you may be able to decrease that width (tool path) and see if it helps with the top of your print.

Shortly after starting a print in RH, my hot end temp drops from 245 to 215.  What causes this?

I am sitting by the machine for the first few mins of a print anyway, so I notice that hot end begins to jam and have to manually increase the temperature back up.

thatdecade wrote:

Shortly after starting a print in RH, my hot end temp drops from 245 to 215.  What causes this?

I am sitting by the machine for the first few mins of a print anyway, so I notice that hot end begins to jam and have to manually increase the temperature back up.

Check your RH and slicer temperature settings and be sure you are selecting the correct profiles.

Former Solidoodle employee

mikeflynn wrote:
mikeflynn wrote:

I've got the latest version of Repetier Host running (Mac) and trying to print this empty cube for some calibration: cisana.net/extruder-calibration (Sorry, I'm apparently allowed a maximum of zero links so you'll have to copy/paste.)

The brim and base all print fine with Repetier and their suggested settings but when it gets to the walls of the cube the speed picks up and the extruder can't seem to keep up. The filament isn't coming out fast enough leaving gaps and I hear (and see) the thumping sound of the extruder wheel stuttering. I then printed the same cube, with the same settings (as many as Soliprint's Sli3r gives you) on Soliprint and while it printed the walls a lot more slowly, it went fine without any stuttering / thumping.

Any idea what the difference is with Repetier's settings and Soliprints that would cause this?

I still can't figure out this issue I'm having between Soliprint and Repetier / Slic3r. Here's two half-finished prints from the same STL file (the one from the post in the quote above) with as many of the same settings Soliprint would give me access too:

The Repitier print seems to take an odd path to a wider brim (set at 3mm) and then the print starts to stutter and won't extrude consistently while printing the walls. None of this is a problem for Soliprint. I'm at a loss.

I don't want to be the annoying "bump" guy but I think my post got a little lost in the shuffle. Any suggestions? I'd really prefer to use RH rather than the buggy Soliprint.

43 (edited by Dream-Cypher 2015-01-24 05:46:11)

wardjr wrote:

I really wish I had a Press at my disposal.  What I can tell you is most of your issues appear to be mechanical in nature.
I would focus on the Y-axis and proper alignment of those belts.

Sadly, I think you hit the nail on the head with the Y-belts.  After further examination, the tension on the Y-belts seems very loose, and I could find no way of adjusting it without having to potentially completely disassemble the printer. 

I am seriously considering seeing about a refund.  I know it was an inexpensive printer at $399, and I'm happy to tweak and adjust, but the plastic design of this printer seems to make a lot of that difficult or impossible. :-(

I'm going to open a support case with Solidoodle about it's inability to print real circles (and the fact that I found that one of the side panel mounts is broken.), but I'm feeling a bit discouraged at this point.

aeschneider.tech wrote:

ht  tp://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/articles/201546664

I found the version of Repeteir on the Solidoodle website that has the Press configurations included.

Unfortunately, those of us with Macs are SOL if we want to use an SD-blessed version of Repetier - they haven't done a Mac version with Press profiles, and when asked specifically about this, their response was simply a link to Soliprint.

bibulb wrote:
aeschneider.tech wrote:

ht  tp://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/articles/201546664

I found the version of Repeteir on the Solidoodle website that has the Press configurations included.

Unfortunately, those of us with Macs are SOL if we want to use an SD-blessed version of Repetier - they haven't done a Mac version with Press profiles, and when asked specifically about this, their response was simply a link to Soliprint.

That answers my question I was about to ask, I downloaded the RH software for Mac and only noticed the profiles for SD 2 and SD3, guess I will download the Windows version and hopefully run it via Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on the Mac

Thanks for answering my question before I asked smile

Lets see

soliryan wrote:
thatdecade wrote:

Check your RH and slicer temperature settings and be sure you are selecting the correct profiles.

Confirmed. Slicer setting was overriding my temperature selection after layer 0.  I set the slicer extrude temp and bed temp to 0. Disabling the feature

No more problem. Thanks

47 (edited by Illy 2015-01-24 16:36:33)

soliryan wrote:

We do not use the newer version of Repetier Host because it has gone closed source, so we are unable to create a custom installer for it. You can of course use any version (or any other software) as long as you have the correct connection settings and set your start code to include G29. In the newer versions of RH, go to the Preview tab, then the G-Code Editor tab and select Start Code from the dropdown.
The reason the new RH is only touching the bed once and printing above the bed is because it is homing Z and not actually probing to measure the bed and not using the Z offset.

I've been trying to run Repetier Host in Mac with these settings, and for some reason the filament seems to just end up curling over and bunching into a big wiry ball around the nozzle. Sometimes it'll get a little bit of traction on the bed, but that might more be a result of how thick it starts to bunch up at the end, though.

I've also noticed that sometimes the wheel that drives the filament extrusion just doesn't even start spinning at all until a couple seconds into the print?

For reference, been printing at a .3 mm height. Same settings on Soliprint has absolutely no troubles at all. Already tightened the grub screw on the extrusion wheel, and there's no thumping coming from there. Any ideas?

48 (edited by mikeflynn 2015-01-24 21:14:35)

mikeflynn wrote:
mikeflynn wrote:

I've given up on getting RH working and have gone back to Soliprint. It's buggy and doesn't have half the features RH has (like saving Slic3r configs!!!!) but at least it prints.

I wish there was a better guide from Solidoodle about how to set up the Press with the latest RH (both Windows and Mac)...or at least tell me how to get the full list of settings / gcode out of Soliprint.

After giving up, I heard that the older RH version that Solidoodle added the Press profile too was working well for people...but people running Windows. So as a last ditch effort, I spent last night dual booting my Mac and installed Windows 7 on it with the Solidoodle RH host. I then printed the same calibration cube as with my previous RH attempts (detailed previously on the thread) and the results were far far better (see pics attached below).

The brim got a little messed up and there was an issue with one or two loops in the walls, but since I was only getting a mess before it's a dramatic improvement. I might just stay with Windows for a while since I'm fortunate enough to have a dedicated machine for my Press, but once I feel adventurous again I will try moving over all the various settings to the latest RH version on OS X and see if that gets the job done (which logically, it should). I the meantime, if anyone is interested in seeing the settings my Solidoodle RH is running (both printer settings and Slic3r) let me know and I can post that information.

Post's attachments

IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG 851.2 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-26 

IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG 918.59 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG 982.58 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Great print results. Which version of RH did you use? I'm hoping to get setup of RH by using this thread.