1 (edited by krel 2015-01-17 06:15:41)

Topic: clogged nozzle, how to clear?

My nozzle seems to have become completely clogged.  I've tried clearing the top out as much as possible but I can't get any filament to go through.  A bit of googling leads me to think I should be able to remove the nozzle and heat it to clean it out or soak it in acetone, but I'm not having any luck unscrewing the nozzle from the heating block piece.  I've got a 7mm driver I'm trying to use and a crescent wrench on the block, but it's stuck tight and I don't want to break it.  Am I on the right track?

edit - I loosened up the two grub screws on the block and was able to remove it together with the nozzle.  The nozzle fits a 1/4" socket not 7mm, I don't have them separated yet though.

2 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-17 06:16:35)

Re: clogged nozzle, how to clear?

First- with the nozzle hot, can you push plastic through by hand? If so, it is not clogged and the issue lies at the extruder rather than the hotend.

Second- I don't know what hotend is on the press, but it appears to be all metal. With all metal hotends, you typically have to beat it up to remove the nozzle because thermal expansion/contraction lock the threads very tight. I would not take it apart until you have confirmed it is a clog, and even then, it may be advisable to contact Solidoodle because none of us have taken one apart or know what's involved exactly. I am also just assuming it is an all metal hotend, but do not know this for certain

3 (edited by krel 2015-01-17 06:17:24)

It's clogged.  can't push by hand, can't see light through it.  Any reason I can't soak the whole thing, block and nozzle, in acetone without separating them?

4 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-17 06:24:48)

That seems ill-advised, because you definitely don't want any acetone in the nozzle when you heat it up. From my experience with the e3d, you are on the right track of how to remove the nozzle. Try heating it up in the software.

But again, no experience with that hotend.

5 (edited by krel 2015-01-17 07:10:38)

hrm.  soaking in acetone is one of the suggested ways to unclog a nozzle that's clogged with ABS.  Anyway, I got them apart, put the block in my vise and used a t-handle with 1/4" socket, I just needed a little more leverage. All three parts are separated now.  The nozzle was definitely packed up, as was the top piece.  cleaning the top piece was pretty easy, as it's plenty big enough to run a small drillbit through the center, the rest came out with acetone.  The nozzle is going to take longer.

I'll take a couple pictures before I reassemble it.

Success.  A shot of compressed air this morning, and the nozzle is clear.  Put it back together and it works, yay! Couple pictures - all the parts, and assembled.  Note that when I put it back together, I screwed in the nozzle first and then the top piece, and the flat sides on the top piece weren't parallel to the sides of the block, so I backed out the nozzle and screwed the top piece (guide? dunno what to call it) in a bit more until parallel, then tightened the nozzle back down.

http://i.imgur.com/cRmi7bD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lWGypQ4.jpg

The top piece you refer to as the guide would be called a heatbreak.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions