Re: Folger Technology Kits

OK the latest update. In the process of trying to get things better they went south. I am learning a lot on this project which was the main reason I took this on.
FT claims to be working hard to provide tech assistance . The gal at the desk stated over and over if you need help contact tech support. well OK then. There is no e mail adress I see for tech support. so I sent an email through the sales /order dept. after several hours I called and selected tech support on the phone menu and they tell me tech support is e-mail only and expect and anser in 24 -48 hours. Realy ???  . shorly I get a response via e mail.   To make a long story short they were somewhat helpful but not overly impressed.
I apparently blew out the arduino in the process of attempting to straighten out a couple of pins. I thought I had unplugged both connections but apparently only unplugged the main power. But a comedy of errors to troubleshoot. The bed thermistor had a bad connector that had to be tweaked. the extruder driver not working replaced it with the spare.  the screws to hold the extruder in place are too short need to source  . I asked flat out if they could  send a couple 3mm x 40mm screws . the question was seemingly ignored.  ignored. I will have this printing but what I expected to take a long saturday has taken a week so far. I hooked up the lcd display it seems to work.

y and z home fine the x still not homing now if you hit the home button the x coordinate goes to 200 (the correct number but the head does not move at all.

I need some sleep.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

OK the latest update. In the process of trying to get things better they went south. I am learning a lot on this project which was the main reason I took this on.
FT claims to be working hard to provide tech assistance . The gal at the desk stated over and over if you need help contact tech support. well OK then. There is no e mail adress I see for tech support. so I sent an email through the sales /order dept. after several hours I called and selected tech support on the phone menu and they tell me tech support is e-mail only and expect and anser in 24 -48 hours. Realy ???  . shorly I get a response via e mail.   To make a long story short they were somewhat helpful but not overly impressed.
I apparently blew out the arduino in the process of attempting to straighten out a couple of pins. I thought I had unplugged both connections but apparently only unplugged the main power. But a comedy of errors to troubleshoot. The bed thermistor had a bad connector that had to be tweaked. the extruder driver not working replaced it with the spare.  the screws to hold the extruder in place are too short need to source  . I asked flat out if they could  send a couple 3mm x 40mm screws . the question was seemingly ignored.  ignored. I will have this printing but what I expected to take a long saturday has taken a week so far. I hooked up the lcd display it seems to work.

y and z home fine the x still not homing now if you hit the home button the x coordinate goes to 200 (the correct number but the head does not move at all.

I need some sleep.

That means it already thinks it is at 200. Chances are you have the logic on your X axis set wrong in the firmware..

When I got my Kossel I had no issues talking to them and getting parts and giving them advise that was included in the next version. I must admit though that I bought the 3rd Kossel that at the time was the only printer they offered. So I guess being their third big customer carried some weight..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Well carl I will be sending an email to Mr folger I have his cell phone # and e-mail address in front of me.
And I will be making a list of suggestions. I understand  24/7 instant tech support would be unrealistic for a small company like folger tech but a little more communication would be nice like posting tech support hours and a tech support email. An i would not have a problem with lets diagnose all the issues then we will sent the parts you need.
I deal with factory tech support on a fairly regular basis, sometimes very helpful sometimes they send you on the wrong trail and sometimes the answer they give is totally wrong.
In there defence I could have slowed down paid closer attention to the manual and had less frustration . And I should have been more carefull powering the machine down to check connections.

Back to the homing issue: M119 was giving x,y.and Z max triggered.  so we  removed the comment // markers from the  //#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS line   since the x stop is a max  I think I need to move the connector for x from min to max and enable max for x in the firmware not sure how to do that.  probably just type one line and reload.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

That means it already thinks it is at 200. Chances are you have the logic on your X axis set wrong in the firmware..

I think the problem is  the x stp where it is located is a max end stop and it is plugged into a minx slot and the max endstops are disabled.

So my options. 1)  Use only min end stops this means moving the x  stop to the left side of the machine away from the control circuits.
                        2) install and configure a second set (max ) of endstops and configure accordingly (enable max) 

3) re enable max end stops and change to logic of the y and z so they are not showing as triggered and use the z max move over one spot to the x max pin set.
I have been reading here :  http://solidutopia.com/marlin-firmware- … ide-basic/  .

Mechanical settings
End Stops

End stops are switches that trigger before an axis reaches its limit. In other words: It will prevent the printer from trying to move out of its own frame. End stops are also used by the printer as a reference position. It will move each axis in a specific direction until it reaches an end stop, this is the home of the printer.

Pull-ups resistances

It is a good practice to use a pull-up or pull-down circuit for a basic switch. To keep it simple the pull-ups resistance are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.

Fortunately there is already a pull-up resistor integrated in Arduino that can be activated by the software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/DigitalPins#.UyusMYXDIlp

#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pull-up resistors

The Marlin firmware allows one to configure each limit switch individually. You can use multiple end stop types on the same printer.

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS

#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX

#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX

//  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX

#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN

#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN

//  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN

#endif

Invert endswitch logic

Some limit switches are normally closed (NC) and turn off when triggered and some are normally open (NO) and turn on when triggered. Ideally the limit switches would be normally on and turn current off when triggered. The printer would interpret the same signal if the end stop is hit as if the end stop is broken or disconnected.

NO = true

NC = false

const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false;

Use three or six end stops?

Under normal circumstance the printer would always know its position according to the home reference position and never move out of its maximum envelope. In this case three endstops would be enough. While running it is possible the 3D printer loses its position because of a collision or skipped steps. In this case the printer can eventually move out of its normal envelope and cause damage. Using end stops at each end of each axis would prevent such situations.

Uncomment the following lines to disable all max or all min end stops.

//#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

//#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

Tin

just got an email from FT they are trying to help sort this out and are finally sending screws.Also  finished the case for the lcd it is mounted.  And yes I need to post pictures.

Tin

Update :

ft support keeping in touch. Homing sot of working but x coordinates inverted not sure if this will mess up the math on slicer progs. they are finally sending the two screws to mount the extruder. 
Tin

perhaps a read thru this thread will help you sort out the inverted axis thing...ours was printing everything mirrored, we found the fix there... (been a while so I dont remember the details)

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?406,512329

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Trying to get this thing to print is like banging the head against the wall feels good when you stop for a while.  I thought i got this things close enough to run a test print It stated acting funky so I shut it down then i started looking at g code  x and y values in the 300s on a  20 mm test block  supposedly centered and the other weird part it is way over extruding  an e value of 34!! when the x and y values change by 10 wow.  I may just have to move the x home switch to the other side of the printer seems  like the math is messed up and the soft limits are not working or buy another set of end stops and have a full set.  I am disappointed to say the least.

I really did not expect this much aggravation. And they sell this as a first , entry level printer  I am glad I did not start with this kit .
jv

Tin Falcon wrote:

Trying to get this thing to print is like banging the head against the wall feels good when you stop for a while.  I thought i got this things close enough to run a test print It stated acting funky so I shut it down then i started looking at g code  x and y values in the 300s on a  20 mm test block  supposedly centered and the other weird part it is way over extruding  an e value of 34!! when the x and y values change by 10 wow.  I may just have to move the x home switch to the other side of the printer seems  like the math is messed up and the soft limits are not working or buy another set of end stops and have a full set.  I am disappointed to say the least.

I really did not expect this much aggravation. And they sell this as a first , entry level printer  I am glad I did not start with this kit .
jv

Tin,

I can help you here but I need some information that you may have posted already but I would like the most current and in one place. If you can get me this information I can probably get you up and running before the weekend ends.

First images of the location of your end stops.

Then I need you to send an M119 command to the printer through Pronterface or Repetier host with the axis all home and pressing their switches then again with none of the axis home post both results from the printer.

Then I need to know what size stepping you have the jumpers under the drivers set for rather they are 1/8, 1/16, or 1/32.

Finally I need you to copy and paste your current configuration.h from your firmware that the machine currently running.

35 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-07-04 01:34:39)

First of all success !! it is alive and printing finally I still need to clean up the wiring probably adjust the driver pots etc and I am seriously thinking of  moving the x switch to the left side of the machine.   I apparently confused the machine and myself  by using 200, 200 for the front left corner so slicer was adding 200 to all the x,y values.
Right now it feels great to print a humle test cube. I think there are still some issues as the print preview disappeared. 
And carl thanks for the  offer The people here are great!!

1) end stops  all stops x,y,z are min end stops  they are reporting fine triggered when all home open when pint head move away from home position.
Do not think there is a problem with  jumpers  the ramps came pre assembled the test cube looks ok.
the problem is the  x min switch is actulaly in the x max position . so call me stubborn or whatever mayby i should just move it to the opposite side of the printer and be don with this mess rather than fussing with the code.

#ifndef CONFIGURATION_H
#define CONFIGURATION_H

// This configurtion file contains the basic settings.
// Advanced settings can be found in Configuration_adv.h 
// BASIC SETTINGS: select your board type, temperature sensor type, axis scaling, and endstop configuration

//User specified version info of this build to display in [Pronterface, etc] terminal window during startup.
//Implementation of an idea by Prof Braino to inform user that any changes made
//to this build by the user have been successfully uploaded into firmware.
#define STRING_VERSION_CONFIG_H __DATE__ "  5-20-15 " __TIME__ // build date and time
#define STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR "(FOLGER TECH, 8 i3 Prusa Config)" //Who made the changes.

// SERIAL_PORT selects which serial port should be used for communication with the host.
// This allows the connection of wireless adapters (for instance) to non-default port pins.
// Serial port 0 is still used by the Arduino bootloader regardless of this setting.
#define SERIAL_PORT 0

// This determines the communication speed of the printer
#define BAUDRATE 250000
//#define BAUDRATE 115200

//// The following define selects which electronics board you have. Please choose the one that matches your setup
// 10 = Gen7 custom (Alfons3 Version) "[url]https://github.com/Alfons3/Generation_7_Electronics[/url]"
// 11 = Gen7 v1.1, v1.2 = 11
// 12 = Gen7 v1.3
// 13 = Gen7 v1.4
// 3  = MEGA/RAMPS up to 1.2 = 3
// 33 = RAMPS 1.3 (Power outputs: Extruder, Bed, Fan)
// 34 = RAMPS 1.3 (Power outputs: Extruder0, Extruder1, Bed)
// 4  = Duemilanove w/ ATMega328P pin assignment
// 5  = Gen6
// 51 = Gen6 deluxe
// 6  = Sanguinololu < 1.2
// 62 = Sanguinololu 1.2 and above
// 63 = Melzi
// 7  = Ultimaker
// 71 = Ultimaker (Older electronics. Pre 1.5.4. This is rare)
// 8  = Teensylu
// 81 = Printrboard (AT90USB1286)
// 82 = Brainwave (AT90USB646)
// 9  = Gen3+
// 70 = Megatronics
// 90 = Alpha OMCA board
// 91 = Final OMCA board
// 301 = Rambo

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD 33
#endif

//// The following define selects which power supply you have. Please choose the one that matches your setup
// 1 = ATX
// 2 = X-Box 360 203Watts (the blue wire connected to PS_ON and the red wire to VCC)

#define POWER_SUPPLY 1

//===========================================================================
//=============================Thermal Settings  ============================
//
//--NORMAL IS 4.7kohm PULLUP!-- 1kohm pullup can be used on hotend sensor, using correct resistor and table
//
//// Temperature sensor settings:
// -2 is thermocouple with MAX6675 (only for sensor 0)
// -1 is thermocouple with AD595
// 0 is not used
// 1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)
// 2 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (4.7k pullup)
// 3 is mendel-parts thermistor (4.7k pullup)
// 4 is 10k thermistor !! do not use it for a hotend. It gives bad resolution at high temp. !!
// 5 is 100K thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (4.7k pullup)
// 6 is 100k EPCOS - Not as accurate as table 1 (created using a fluke thermocouple) (4.7k pullup)
// 7 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAG-J01 (4.7k pullup)
// 8 is 100k 0603 SMD Vishay NTCS0603E3104FXT (4.7k pullup)
// 9 is 100k GE Sensing AL03006-58.2K-97-G1 (4.7k pullup)
// 10 is 100k RS thermistor 198-961 (4.7k pullup)
//
//    1k ohm pullup tables - This is not normal, you would have to have changed out your 4.7k for 1k 
//                          (but gives greater accuracy and more stable PID)
// 51 is 100k thermistor - EPCOS (1k pullup)
// 52 is 200k thermistor - ATC Semitec 204GT-2 (1k pullup)
// 55 is 100k thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2 (Used in ParCan) (1k pullup)

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 6
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 6

// Actual temperature must be close to target for this long before M109 returns success
#define TEMP_RESIDENCY_TIME 10    // (seconds)
#define TEMP_HYSTERESIS 3       // (degC) range of +/- temperatures considered "close" to the target one
#define TEMP_WINDOW     1       // (degC) Window around target to start the recidency timer x degC early.

// The minimal temperature defines the temperature below which the heater will not be enabled It is used
// to check that the wiring to the thermistor is not broken. 
// Otherwise this would lead to the heater being powered on all the time.
#define HEATER_0_MINTEMP 5
#define HEATER_1_MINTEMP 5
#define HEATER_2_MINTEMP 5
#define BED_MINTEMP 5

// When temperature exceeds max temp, your heater will be switched off.
// This feature exists to protect your hotend from overheating accidentally, but *NOT* from thermistor short/failure!
// You should use MINTEMP for thermistor short/failure protection.
#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 270
#define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 245
#define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 245
#define BED_MAXTEMP 200

// If your bed has low resistance e.g. .6 ohm and throws the fuse you can duty cycle it to reduce the
// average current. The value should be an integer and the heat bed will be turned on for 1 interval of
// HEATER_BED_DUTY_CYCLE_DIVIDER intervals.
//#define HEATER_BED_DUTY_CYCLE_DIVIDER 4

// PID settings:
// Comment the following line to disable PID and enable bang-bang.
#define PIDTEMP
#define PID_MAX 256 // limits current to nozzle; 256=full current
#ifdef PIDTEMP
  //#define PID_DEBUG // Sends debug data to the serial port. 
  //#define PID_OPENLOOP 1 // Puts PID in open loop. M104/M140 sets the output power from 0 to PID_MAX
  #define PID_FUNCTIONAL_RANGE 10 // If the temperature difference between the target temperature and the actual temperature
                                  // is more then PID_FUNCTIONAL_RANGE then the PID will be shut off and the heater will be set to min/max.
  #define PID_INTEGRAL_DRIVE_MAX 255  //limit for the integral term
  #define K1 0.95 //smoothing factor withing the PID
  #define PID_dT ((16.0 * 8.0)/(F_CPU / 64.0 / 256.0)) //sampling period of the temperature routine

// If you are using a preconfigured hotend then you can use one of the value sets by uncommenting it
// Ultimaker
    #define  DEFAULT_Kp 22.2
    #define  DEFAULT_Ki 1.08  
    #define  DEFAULT_Kd 114  

// Makergear
//    #define  DEFAULT_Kp 7.0
//    #define  DEFAULT_Ki 0.1  
//    #define  DEFAULT_Kd 12  

// Mendel Parts V9 on 12V    
//    #define  DEFAULT_Kp 63.0
//    #define  DEFAULT_Ki 2.25
//    #define  DEFAULT_Kd 440
#endif // PIDTEMP

// Bed Temperature Control
// Select PID or bang-bang with PIDTEMPBED.  If bang-bang, BED_LIMIT_SWITCHING will enable hysteresis
//
// uncomment this to enable PID on the bed.   It uses the same ferquency PWM as the extruder. 
// If your PID_dT above is the default, and correct for your hardware/configuration, that means 7.689Hz,
// which is fine for driving a square wave into a resistive load and does not significantly impact you FET heating.
// This also works fine on a Fotek SSR-10DA Solid State Relay into a 250W heater. 
// If your configuration is significantly different than this and you don't understand the issues involved, you proabaly 
// shouldn't use bed PID until someone else verifies your hardware works.
// If this is enabled, find your own PID constants below.
//#define PIDTEMPBED
//
//#define BED_LIMIT_SWITCHING

// This sets the max power delived to the bed, and replaces the HEATER_BED_DUTY_CYCLE_DIVIDER option.
// all forms of bed control obey this (PID, bang-bang, bang-bang with hysteresis)
// setting this to anything other than 256 enables a form of PWM to the bed just like HEATER_BED_DUTY_CYCLE_DIVIDER did,
// so you shouldn't use it unless you are OK with PWM on your bed.  (see the comment on enabling PIDTEMPBED)
#define MAX_BED_POWER 256 // limits duty cycle to bed; 256=full current

#ifdef PIDTEMPBED
//120v 250W silicone heater into 4mm borosilicate (MendelMax 1.5+)
//from FOPDT model - kp=.39 Tp=405 Tdead=66, Tc set to 79.2, argressive factor of .15 (vs .1, 1, 10)
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 10.00
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi .023
    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 305.4

//120v 250W silicone heater into 4mm borosilicate (MendelMax 1.5+)
//from pidautotune
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKp 97.1
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKi 1.41
//    #define  DEFAULT_bedKd 1675.16

// FIND YOUR OWN: "M303 E-1 C8 S90" to run autotune on the bed at 90 degreesC for 8 cycles.
#endif // PIDTEMPBED

//this prevents dangerous Extruder moves, i.e. if the temperature is under the limit
//can be software-disabled for whatever purposes by
#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE
//if PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE is on, you can still disable (uncomment) very long bits of extrusion separately.
#define PREVENT_LENGTHY_EXTRUDE

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170
#define EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH (X_MAX_LENGTH+Y_MAX_LENGTH) //prevent extrusion of very large distances.

//=============================Mechanical Settings===========================

// Uncomment the following line to enable CoreXY kinematics
// #define COREXY

// corse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
//  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
//  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
//  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops. 
const bool Y_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops. 
const bool Z_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstops. 

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

// Disables axis when it's not being used.
#define DISABLE_X false
#define DISABLE_Y false
#define DISABLE_Z false
#define DISABLE_E false // For all extruders

#define INVERT_X_DIR true   // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true    // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR false    // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops false //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true  //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 200
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 200
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 175
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

#define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)

// The position of the homing switches
//#define MANUAL_HOME_POSITIONS  // If defined, MANUAL_*_HOME_POS below will be used
//#define BED_CENTER_AT_0_0  // If defined, the center of the bed is at (X=0, Y=0)

//Manual homing switch locations:
#define MANUAL_X_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Y_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 0

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 50, 0}  // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings 

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,3840,90}  // default steps per unit for ultimaker {78.7402,78.7402,200*8/3,760*1.1}920
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {250, 250, 2, 22}    // (mm/sec)    
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {1000,1000,5,1000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          500    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves 
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  500   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00}  // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instanteneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                20.0    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4     // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0    // (mm/sec)

//=============================Additional Features===========================

// EEPROM
// the microcontroller can store settings in the EEPROM, e.g. max velocity...
// M500 - stores paramters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).  
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings".  You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.
//define this to enable eeprom support
//#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
//to disable EEPROM Serial responses and decrease program space by ~1700 byte: comment this out:
// please keep turned on if you can.
//#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT

//LCD and SD support
//#define ULTRA_LCD  //general lcd support, also 16x2
//#define SDSUPPORT // Enable SD Card Support in Hardware Console

//#define ULTIMAKERCONTROLLER //as available from the ultimaker online store.
//#define ULTIPANEL  //the ultipanel as on thingiverse

// The RepRapDiscount Smart Controller (white PCB)
// [url]http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller[/url]
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

// The GADGETS3D G3D LCD/SD Controller (blue PCB)
// [url]http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.3/1.4_GADGETS3D_Shield_with_Panel[/url]
//#define G3D_PANEL

//automatic expansion
#if defined(ULTIMAKERCONTROLLER) || defined(REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER) || defined(G3D_PANEL)
 #define ULTIPANEL
 #define NEWPANEL
#endif 

// Preheat Constants
#define PLA_PREHEAT_HOTEND_TEMP 180 
#define PLA_PREHEAT_HPB_TEMP 70
#define PLA_PREHEAT_FAN_SPEED 255        // Insert Value between 0 and 255

#define ABS_PREHEAT_HOTEND_TEMP 225
#define ABS_PREHEAT_HPB_TEMP 100
#define ABS_PREHEAT_FAN_SPEED 255        // Insert Value between 0 and 255

#ifdef ULTIPANEL
//  #define NEWPANEL  //enable this if you have a click-encoder panel
  #define SDSUPPORT
  #define ULTRA_LCD
  #define LCD_WIDTH 20
  #define LCD_HEIGHT 4

#else //no panel but just lcd 
  #ifdef ULTRA_LCD
    #define LCD_WIDTH 16
    #define LCD_HEIGHT 2    
  #endif
#endif

// Increase the FAN pwm frequency. Removes the PWM noise but increases heating in the FET/Arduino
//#define FAST_PWM_FAN

// M240  Triggers a camera by emulating a Canon RC-1 Remote
// Data from: [url]http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/rc-1_hacked/[/url]
// #define PHOTOGRAPH_PIN     23

// SF send wrong arc g-codes when using Arc Point as fillet procedure
//#define SF_ARC_FIX

#include "Configuration_adv.h"
#include "thermistortables.h"

#endif //__CONFIGURATION_H

Well I guess you don't need me after all. Also I believe the min and max descrepancie is an error on their part. I would move the connection to min on your board, change firmware if needed and print on..

Well carl the IMHO the firmware version is flawed or the design is flawed but they do not match.  the physical position of the x home switch is max but if you load the firmware into a bare arduino and hook to rh and run a m119 the max endstops show as triggered I had to uncomment the line to disable the max endstops.   Like I said I think I am just going to move the x min endstop to where it belongs adjust rh and move on.  I expected to have this thing running in a day or maybe two.
Tin

I will be testing a new version of firmware for the FT 2020 prusa soon. Another 3d printer friend that has one of these printers has been working on it to try to fix the issues with the stock firmware. Will let you know how it goes.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Based on what I know from my Kossel from FT, there is nothing strange or different about their firmware. It is just a vanilla version of Marlin or Repetier. The issue is they simply missed some configuration steps. This is where is pays to have some firmware experience.

I still dont believe that 3d printing is for somebody to just jump into. You need to tead and study and know what your getting into. You also need to learn, and know the firmware. Become comfortable with making changes to it as they will need to be done for proper tuning even if the supplier did configure it properly which is rare.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Based on what I know from my Kossel from FT, there is nothing strange or different about their firmware. It is just a vanilla version of Marlin or Repetier. The issue is they simply missed some configuration steps. This is where is pays to have some firmware experience.

I still dont believe that 3d printing is for somebody to just jump into. You need to read and study and know what your getting into. You also need to learn, and know the firmware. Become comfortable with making changes to it as they will need to be done for proper tuning even if the supplier did configure it properly which is rare.

Yes, it is a good idea to understand at least the basics of firmware and how to upload it, but when they are selling these kits to the general public, it would be a good idea to have the firmware sorted out and actually ready to run the printer, don't you think?

They way it is right now, the "stock" firmware does have issues that need to be corrected. Since I got my kit nearly a year ago, i don't remember exactly what changes I made to make it work right - my memory isn't that good (the info is in the reprap forums, however). tongue
Fortunately there are folks that are willing to take the time to try to do that to make it easier for future users of these kits. As in a simple download of the fixed firmware, a flash to the board and done.

I will be testing a new version of firmware for the FT 2020 prusa soon. Another 3d printer friend that has one of these printers has been working on it to try to fix the issues with the stock firmware. Will let you know how it goes.

Certainly interested in the outcome.

I still don't believe that 3d printing is for somebody to just jump into. You need to read and study and know what your getting into.

The makers of these kits lead the public to believe otherwise. And I am doing my best to help people understand what they are getting into . Of some of the reasons  i purchased this kit was to gain the experience of building one. Understanding of how to  load and adjust the firmware, Print off the lcd controls  and have this as a test / learning tool.

That said. Before purchasing a 3d printer I did several months of one line research. Then purchased a used sd 4 to learn how to operate a printer before attempting to build one. I have years of electronics experience  I have converted a couple of small machine tools  ie lathe and milling machine to cnc control I have extensive training and experience in mechanical arts machining welding aircraft structural repair. I have worked in professional models shop and 6 years research and development for a boat/ yacht manufacturer.  IMHO a kit built and billed as a beginners kit should not take an engineer to build and an experience technician should not have to deal with these defects in the designs end execution of the kit.

Fortunately there are folks that are willing to take the time to try to do that to make it easier for future users of these kits. As in a simple download of the fixed firmware, a flash to the board and done.

and there is hope.
Tin

42 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-03-14 01:32:52)

I took the more or less easy route out  moved the x home switch to the left "0" side of the bed and flipped the  x home logic switch from true to false.  the print preview is working again  cleaned up the wiring some. and ran a couple prints.   not the cleanest smoothest prints I have ever seen but the first prints off the SD4 were not stellar either.  My current concern is the lcd control screen flickers off about every 8-10 seconds. Guess I should look at the   temp curve this may be the heat bed cycle time  the head bed is probably drawing 90 watts based on the ohm readings I took and the extruder heater is rated at 40 I did not  take ohm readings on that.

It took me two weeks to get this thing up and running not sure how many hours,
I did not use the upgrade parts I have. the aluminum carriages are too short I would have to make spacers and I  need a different mound feed mechanism to use the ED# i probably will get and uminum feed head made for the printbots. 
Tin

Ok Tin, i gave this one a quick try, and with the endstops in the stock locations, X motor wire flipped at the board and X endstop plugged into the MAX spot on the board this firmware does seem to work pretty well. (also set X as Max in RH)

You may still need to adjust your steps/mm for the extruder, and depending on your exact configuration, the Z height may need to be adjusted - it is set to 150mm but everyone seems to get a slightly different number... mine was around 160 in stock form...

This is also set up for LCD support (which I don't have, so cant comment on)

I asked and have permission to share it here - it is still being tweaked, but he would like a few testers to make sure things are working as they should...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tws5zmppzgwa … D.zip?dl=0

If you do try it out, please share your feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestions so they can be passed on. He is working with FolgerTech to make this the standard firmware to be used on their kits.

thank I will likely try it for now I just downloaded it and browsed through in arduino.

i haven't had a chance to give it a full run yet - I still need to tweak for where my Y endstop is set (mine is in front, not the rear), and I need to adjust the Z height - I added Z motor standoffs for a little more height - but once I do that I plan to give it a full run and see how it does on mine.

maybe a read through this string will offer you some assistance with sorting out the rearranged pivot thing...

*****Hey******

Well another Month plus has gone by.
I will say the Folger 2020 Prusa I3 does indeed work as a 3d printer.   As mentioned in previous posts my intention was to mount a ED3 hot end but the initial build used the stock hot end.
So with the availability of the Titan extruder I purchased one.  I got the titan mounted but have been busy . I finally assembled the ED3v6 and got things reconfigured and tuned. at east some . probably more to do.
but once again the machine is printing.

FYI I ended up with a setting of 441.5 steps for the E  and had to turn the Invert E0 logic to false.

And here is a poor photo to prove I did indeed build this machine and upgrade it.

http://soliforum.com/i/?6QaMjG4.jpg

Tin

I bought some linear rods from them and had a pretty bad experience.  Both rods I bought were visibly bent, as in there is no way you could not have noticed it as it was being packaged. I tried to contact them, and their phone number states that all support must be through their webpage support form. I use the form, tell them that they sent me rods that were bent to hell, and asked if they had any kind of tolerance/specifications. Several days go by, and I give up, and just cut the rods into smaller less bent pieces for a mini project. The did eventually get back to me, saying that they don't have specs but will try and get them, and asking me to send pictures  of the rods so that their claims department can figure out if they can be replaced. They also apologized for letting my ticket get "lost in their inbox". 

In the end it was only like $30, and I did end up finding a use for them, but the whole thing left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. The rods were so bent that I noticed it immediately upon taking them out of the box, and there's just no way whoever packed them couldn't have noticed unless they did it without looking at all. The outside of the package was spotless. so I doubt it happened during shipping. The whole picture thing kind of threw me for a loop, maybe it was a combination of me already being pissed off at them in general and the fact that they took so long to respond that I just cut the rods up and couldn't show them how messed up they had been. It just kind of bothered me because it seems arbitrary to decide the acceptability of the rods based off of a picture. I mean, you could 100% have seen the bend in a crappy cellphone picture, but you can have a not so noticeable bend that might not be immediately apparent, but would still cause bearings to bind up. A picture might not show you that, and it seemed to have been implied that  if they could not see the bend  they would not accept a return. And what if the rods had been out of round, or under/oversize? What would a picture have done any good then? I did end up getting my money's worth, but I don't think I would buy any components or kits from them in the future.

I am using the I3  it seems like one of the weak points is the end stop holders . and it is pain to reinstall and adjust the z axis end stop. but life goes on. time to print another set of spares.

Tin

Tin - there are far better Z axis endstop mounts on thingiverse - some even have the adjustment screw integrated for quick, easy tweaks

the biggest issue I have is their use of the MK8/9 extruders - I absolutely despise that extruder setup. Having the motor heatsink & fan in front of the filament drive gear is just a terrible design to me - can't see what is going on without having to take the stupid thing apart. And to take it apart means shutting it all down so you don't destroy the fan by sticking a screwdriver in the blades tongue

The FT-5 comes with a MK9 type. I finally have it all wired up and trying to test... everything moves, bed and hotend heat up fine, but it wont feed the filament... reason why it wont feed? there is an alignment problem between extruder body and the mounting block for the hotend - by several millimeters!

I am currently printing up the version I used on the Prusa that I hope will solve this problem (allows a little more freedom of movement for the filament)