Topic: Press Extruder Issues

I just got my first 3D Printer - the Solidoodle Press. I am having an issue trying to get the filament extruded - it seems as if there is a wheel that should be pushing the filament through to the nozzle (forgive me if the terminology is wrong here) but it appears that only the spindle on the wheel is turning - but not the wheel itself. I have read about similar issues, but did not understand the solution. I have a video and will link to it after it is done uploading later.

What is the best way to fix this? So much for plug and play. In the warnings in the guide it says printer is not user serviceable - that should read that printer only works after user service! lol.

On a side note - did anyone order there printer with a extra spool of filament, and receive it with the printer? I did and did not receive mine, and no surprise, Solidoodle does not seem to want to respond to my emails about this.

Also, just a question about 3D printing in general - I see that the extruder is by default set to 250 degrees C, is it the whole extruder that gets that hot or just the very tip? Just trying to be safe here.

Re: Press Extruder Issues

I found this:

MacGyverX wrote:

Okay so the knocking sound I've been getting is coming from the extruder stepper. Turns out the grub screw on the hobbed gear was less than finger tight. The stepper shaft is a "D" type. The thumping sound is the sharp side of the shaft rubbing against the grub screw.

In order to get to that, You have to take off everything around the extruder. Huh. Totally didn't expect that. On that note- The extruder is nice. It is all metal. The two main parts come off with thumb screws- The rest are M3's. Wasn't that bad to take apart.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Also, there are no knocking sounds or other odd sounds. I have a video of the problem, but it is not allowing me to post it! I cant even post a link. Let try this: go to youtube dot com slash watch?v=4FqYinmoo-U

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9226/pre … t-jamming/

that has a pic linked, you can tighten the set screw with a 1.5mm allen wrench through the fins from the left side.

Thank you, krel, that appears to have worked! It took me a bit to figure out, but I had to rotate the wheel, then go though the left side and tighten a screw on on the wheel itself.