Topic: Press - Plastic film on glass?

Just got my press. Things are going okay. Already cleared my first jam.

The plastic film (coating?) on the glass plate came all beat up and scratched. Am I supposed to be peeling this off? Or is it supposed to be permanently adhered to the glass?

Re: Press - Plastic film on glass?

I think it's either hairspray or residue from a glue stick. In my case, it's evenly textured except one section where it looks like something pooled and dried.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Are you going to try and remove it?

I removed it from mine. I have been using glue stick to get the ABS to stick to the build plate, and it has been working pretty well.

You removed what? A plastic flim? Took me 20 mins to scrap the gunk off with a razor. In my case it was not a film of any kind. I replaced it with a sheet of kapton.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I just used some citrus based glass cleaner and it came right off. Took two minutes.

I was thinking it might have been an acetone slurry because the pattern on my bed looked more like it was drizzled and smeared on, not sprayed.  And after my first print cooled, the supplied knife scrapped it up in a fine powdery residue.

A citrus based cleaner wouldn't disolve ABS though would it?

You want to use acetone. Cleaners may leave an oily residue that would destroy chances of adhesion. At the very least, let it sit under a hot tap for a few minutes. If it is slurry, it should loosen up enough to easily peel off.

Regardless, grab some acetone if you don't already have some.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Yeah that's what I did. Acetone, Razor blade and elbow grease.

What type of glue stick are you using Elmers 3m ?

• Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice
• Creates plastic parts up to 6" x 6" x 8"
• Heated Aluminum Build Platform with Glass Bed
• Dual extruder

I cleaned my glass with window cleaner after a few prints.

Tried hairspray, but it didn't work. (Tressemme Freeze Hold)

I've had good success with glue sticks. And it cleans up easily. (Scotch Wrinkle Free Glue Stick - Clear)