Topic: Press - questions from beginner

This is the first 3D printer I've owned, and I suspect I'll have some questions here and there.  I have my first one right off the bat - I've installed the SoliPrint software (v1.0.0) and I'm connected to the printer.  I've clicked the "Heat Printer" button and the Status shows as "Printer is heating up..." but the extruder and bed temperatures haven't budged - they're at 21.9C and 19.6C respectively, and checking the physical temps with a shows that nothing is happening, all bits are at ambient, about 22C.  Clicking Cool printer changes the status to "Turning OFF heat to the bed" and nothing else changes, clicking heat again switches the message back but nothing else.  Obviously I'm missing something, but what?

Re: Press - questions from beginner

I think that when you're plugged in over USB, the electronics are powered on, but none of the high-power stuff (like the motors and heaters). Have you turned on the Press by pressing the button on top? The button should be lit up.

It doesn't connect to the computer until I turn it on.  I just got it to heat by turning it off, restarting the software, and turning it back on.  Must have been a glitch somewhere.

Question #2 - how do I lower the bed all the way?

krel wrote:

It doesn't connect to the computer until I turn it on.  I just got it to heat by turning it off, restarting the software, and turning it back on.  Must have been a glitch somewhere.

why do you want bed all the way down?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
krel wrote:

why do you want bed all the way down?

I ran the z-offset calibration per the setup/getting started page and when it finished it left the bed up at the top of the unit, perhaps an inch below the extruder.  There's not room to get in there to see "which line looks the best" let alone clean the bed off.  Speaking of which, I assume there's some sort of coating on the glass to make it sticky? Any tricks to cleaning the bed, and does that coating need to be redone?  Like I said, very new at this.

Found that I can use the Repetier-Host Solidoodle software to move the bed down.  Is there no way to do that within the Soliprint software?

You can move the printer axises from the Tools -> Printer Setting screen. There's sliders that you drag the direction you want it to move and let go, and it moves the motor for that axis in the direction you want.

Not the most intuitive of interfaces, but it does work.

krel wrote:

Found that I can use the Repetier-Host Solidoodle software to move the bed down.  Is there no way to do that within the Soliprint software?

I appreciate you posting your newbie discoveries here.  This is my first 3d printer and I'm sure I'll have the exact questions you posting solutions for.

Thanks!

9 (edited by krel 2015-01-14 16:56:35)

cptskippy wrote:
krel wrote:

I appreciate you posting your newbie discoveries here.  This is my first 3d printer and I'm sure I'll have the exact questions you posting solutions for.

Thanks!

Hopefully we can get a bit of a thread going for us clueless noobs. smile  I suspect there's a ton of tips and tricks out there that people who have been doing this for a while take for granted.

I just tried to print my first object - just a 10mm cube from thingiverse.  Didn't turn out so well.  I stopped the print about 1/3 of the way through when I saw it wasn't working correctly, the misplacement is towards the front of the printer if that matters.  Here's the object I used and a pic of my deformed result.  I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently but you can just copypaste these.

thingiverse.com/thing:253861

i.imgur.com/gBedHB6.jpg

Any ideas?

10 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-14 17:09:53)

krel wrote:

thingiverse.com/thing:253861

i.imgur.com/gBedHB6.jpg

Any ideas?

Looks like poor adhesion, did the print head drag it around? If Solidoodle didn't tell you folks, you will need to get some Aquanet hairspray or Elmer's glue sticks for proper adhesion to the glass. While they may have sprayed it at the factory, I find myself spraying my glass every 5 or so prints to keep a good coat on there, and I eventually clean it with alcohol to give it a fresh start.

They used to put Kapton directly on the bed and you would print on that, if you didn't want to use glass, but success was pretty varied, which is why a lot of people print on glass instead.

If it did not drag it around and your printer made some clunking sounds, that could be your belts too loose.

Hope this helps.

if spraying glass do not do this with it in the printer or moving parts will gum up fast

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I've been pretty happy with glue stick. Plus like n2ri said, no chance of the mist getting onto/into your moving parts. My sd2 pro had/has a mirror with a layer of blue painters tape and I used the glue stick on that. I haven't used a glass bed so I'm not sure if painters tape will help or hinder results. Hope that helps. I have a Press on order but I'm in the 31xx range so I'm enjoying all of the heads up info.

I've been using an ABS / Acetone mix to keep the prints on the bed on the Lulzbot I use at work. It seems to do well so far...

I pulled the glass out and cleaned it off completely, and used a glue stick to put down a new layer.  I'm printing the cube again now, we'll see how it goes this time.

I am having problems with the cable getting pinched behind the mount for the printhead.  Not sure what to do about that, I don't see any way to hold it up without interfering with the movement of the printhead.

Post a picture and maybe we can come up with some ideas.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I added a ziptie around the z-axis motor and the cable like this - which seems so far to be keeping the cable out of the way.  Time will tell if it's actually a solution or not, I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/Ju5xjhb.jpg

I printed the same cube file on low resolution (0.3mm) and it came out ok.  I just printed it again on high resolution (0.1mm) and it did the same thing, where it started pushing the material off the front of the piece. It didn't happen at the same point in the model, it was farther on in the print.  I took video of it this time, you can see that the head is moving in the square pattern of the cube but it's moving forward as well.  By the end of the print, it was drawing in the air quite a bit in front of the cube.  Also, when it got close to the end of the print, the Y axis motor (belt) starting making noises as if it was skipping.  Didn't happen when it started getting out of alignment, just towards the very end of the print, maybe in the last 10% or so.

Here's the video -

http://i.imgur.com/veo7HEb.jpg

Your belts are loose. That is what we call a step skip, in other words, the motors didn't move the Y axis when they should have, and now the printer no longer knows where it is. Tighten up the belts a bit.

That's what I figured, but it was definitely worth asking to get a second opinion, thanks.   Any idea what I adjust to do that on this printer?  I don't know if there's any documentation on how to tighten the Y-axis belt on the Press yet?

19 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-15 20:07:10)

i don't own one so I don't know. analyze the system and see what's going on. I know the press uses closed-loop belts, so there is probably a tensioner at either the front, or rear, of the printer. If you take detailed pictures of the drive system, I might be able to spot where it is. Take pictures that clearly show where each belt goes. There should be a total of 4 belts on your machine, unless they designed the Y axis differently than previous models.

krel wrote:

That's what I figured, but it was definitely worth asking to get a second opinion, thanks.   Any idea what I adjust to do that on this printer?  I don't know if there's any documentation on how to tighten the Y-axis belt on the Press yet?

Check the idler bracket(on the opposite side from the motor) there may  be an adjustment screw to move the idler pulley in or out.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I don't see anything that specifically stands out, odds are I just don't know what I'm looking for yet.  There are four belts, one on the X, one on the Z and two on the Y.  I went ahead and ran the 0.1mm print again with the top open to see if I could spot anything slipping, and this time it completed without error.  Comparing the 0.3mm cube with the 0.1mm cube, the former is more accurate - the sides are smoother on the 0.1 but the 0.3 cube is a more perfect shape.  The 0.1 has sort of a divot along two of the vertical corners, where it has sort of a reverse corner, stair-step effect.

Going to try to print it using the other software, the Repetier-Host version, to see if I get any better results.  I noticed that the RH software also allows you to configure speeds, the soliprint software seems to jerk the head very rapidly during non-printing sections, I wonder if that might cause the slipping?

22 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-15 21:33:17)

Those errors you describe are from over-extrusion so I'm guessing Solidoodle did not calibrate the extruder for you.

With regards to the belts if you take good pictures with good lighting we should be able to point out the tensioners. Yes, higher speeds will cause slipping if a belt is loose. Honestly even on a stock machine you should be able to do travel moves pretty fast, but the default is 75 mm/s.

In the RH software, "Speed for non-print moves" is set to 130mm/s.  Should I change it?

I googled calibrating the extruder, is this link accurate?  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- … /?ALLSTEPS Or do you have a better one?

For the belts, I took a bunch of pictures, but I don't know what you need to see so if it's not in this bunch let me know and I can take more.

http://imgur.com/a/pY1Lx

I'm gonna make this thing work right, just needs some tweaking, and I need some of that there edumacating. smile

You've got the right attitude!

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

25 (edited by krel 2015-01-16 15:02:44)

Tried another print - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:238073/#files and this is the result before I killed it. sad  The extra spaghetti was towards the back of the printer, along the Y axis again.  It's off by at least two inches there.  I had the top open while printing so I could see, but I couldn't tell if it was the smaller belt or the larger one that's skipping, although I _think_ it's the larger one. I submitted a ticket to Solidoodle support, hopefully this is straightforward to adjust.

http://i.imgur.com/uge4Wiz.jpg