Topic: Cartridge Refilling

The XYZPrinting web site has instructions on how to open a filament cart and refill it. Does this mean that they have abandoned their efforts to control us?

Re: Cartridge Refilling

stevendom57 wrote:

The XYZPrinting web site has instructions on how to open a filament cart and refill it. Does this mean that they have abandoned their efforts to control us?

Unless they say so, I doubt it. The filament is their bread and butter.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by scobo 2015-01-08 02:20:30)

Interesting !
I wonder if the xyz refills will be cheaper than the cartridges ?? Even then, I still wouldn't buy it. big_smile

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

For me it is not worth the effort. I tried refilling one once and it took more than an hour and a stiff neck. Now if you made a motorized system to hold the take up reel and a spindle for the host reel it might not be that bad.

5 (edited by scobo 2015-01-08 02:24:42)

There's an adapter on Thingiverse you can connect to a drill to do that.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:423515

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

stevendom57 wrote:

Link?

Here is the link.  support.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Help/tutorial/f10aio?productName=da Vinci 1.0 AiO#20592

If you watch when they show everything in the box it comes with the eeprom chip. So I don't think are going to stop enforcing it.

Based on the video you are still chained to a chip.. So you are also stuck with using their filament.

Here is the response I got from their customer service to my question about not tracking filament

Dear Mr. Customer,
Thank you for the mail.
Please be advised that our refillable cartridge release soon and will support ABS filament .
Please  keep noticing on our website.

So, no response, really

As I could see, maybe it's cheap filament without the cartridge. Some recycle use for it smile

just get an arduino nano for $4.00 and flash your old cartridge back to 240m and you can also set custom temps.

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Be aware the many of the official refill kits purchased have chips that DO NOT WORK.  The firmware detects them as counterfeit chips and doesn't allow it to be used.  I was quite surprised after trying to be good to them by buying their filament.  I feel like a fool I didn't buy cheaper 3rd party filament, as I am still going to be forces to move to repetier firmware just to use the official filament.

Possibly, it is a ploy to get more people to upgrade to their less-hackable recent firmwares that lock out resetters.  For me, it just burned bridges on the idea of not-hacking their firmware.

If their DRM actually worked, that's one thing, but DRM that doesn't allow original equipment to work with official filament?  That is just insulting.

Post's attachments

CartridgeError.png
CartridgeError.png 7.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.