Topic: Printing with polycarbonate

I recently purchased a Filastruder and have had fantastic results with it. I am using it to make polycarbonate filament. My problem, however, is when I print, I can't get it to stick to the build plate. I have a Makerbot 2X with a heated aluminum plate covered in Kapton tape. It won't stick to that at all; it pretty much globs up and scoots it around. So I tried painter's tape, and it sticks for a little bit, but after about the first layer, it starts coming off. I also tried hairspray on both the painters tape and kaptop tape with no better luck.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Thanks in advance.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Re: Printing with polycarbonate

josh.aeauto wrote:

I recently purchased a Filastruder and have had fantastic results with it.

That's great to hear! Would you mind posting a bit about your setup, and what pellets you're using?

josh.aeauto wrote:

My problem, however, is when I print, I can't get it to stick to the build plate. I have a Makerbot 2X with a heated aluminum plate covered in Kapton tape. It won't stick to that at all; it pretty much globs up and scoots it around. So I tried painter's tape, and it sticks for a little bit, but after about the first layer, it starts coming off. I also tried hairspray on both the painters tape and kaptop tape with no better luck.

I'm surprised the Makerbot can get hot enough in stock form to print PC. You may find this helpful:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

You're going to need a very hot bed/glass plate, and a warm enclosure in order to have bed adhesion and avoid warping.

Sure thing, I would be happy to post some pictures later.

The makerbot's hot end will top out at 280C, which happens to be fine. The bed will go up to 130 degrees. I have tried it at 110 (default), I will try it again at 130 and see if it makes a difference. Do you suggest finding a glass bed for the makerbot 2x?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

280C is right on the cool end of what I've heard is recommended.

I've never printed PC personally, just reporting what I've read. You can get a sheet of glass from the hardware store and put it on top, then hold in place with bulldog clips or similar.

I will look into doing that.

I have a sheet of 1/8" polycarbonate or acrylic (I can't remember which) that was left over from something work related - what kind of results do you think I would get if I put it on the bed?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

If its polycarb, probably great bonding - maybe too good. I'd put a layer of hairspray down between them first as a release agent. If that doesn't bond, clean the hairspray off and try again - but it might mean the sheets become sacrificial.

Just by way of an update, I am getting pretty good results from the Kaptop tape and heating the bed up to 175 degrees C. Actually, it seems to stick just as good if not better than ABS did.

This is my part - I put it directly on the build plate with no raft due to the amount of surface area it has.
**EDIT: It didn't let me add my picture.

At 110 degrees (Kapton tape), the part curled significantly and separated from the bed within the first few layers.
At 130 degrees, the part curled significantly, and separated after about 5 layers.
At 150 degrees, the part stuck to the bed for the duration of the build, but the edged were beginning to curl.
At 175 degrees, the part did not curl at all and stuck to the build plate just fine. I had to use a small amount of force to remove it from the plate.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Post the URL to the picture with a space in it, you can host it on www.imgur.com or something.

You need 10 posts to be able to post photos, it is a spam filter thing.

175C is a hot bed!

Let's try this -

i.imgur.com/yreqERu.jpg

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Embedding here:

http://i.imgur.com/yreqERu.jpg

That looks pretty good!

What sort of diameter range did you see on the extruded filament?

11 (edited by wardjr 2015-01-07 17:15:55)

175! That's cookin'
Is that with the stock bed heater?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

12 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-01-07 17:30:48)

elmoret wrote:

I had to upgrade the power supply to get the heater to stay hot enough - after turning on the fans, the temperature dropped significantly (even after insulating the heater/thermocouple with Kapton tape). I also had to install an extra fan - the filament stretched while extruding, resulting in a very inconstant diameter. I ended up extruding at 230 degrees C.

That said, I was able to get 1.45mm. While it is a little small, it is very consistent, so I just adjusted the printer's settings accordingly. Any suggestions on thickening it up would be much appreciated.

wardjr wrote:

Is that with the stock bed heater?

Yes, everything on it is original. I was very surprised!

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:
elmoret wrote:

I had to upgrade the power supply to get the heater to stay hot enough - after turning on the fans, the temperature dropped significantly (even after insulating the heater/thermocouple with Kapton tape). I also had to install an extra fan - the filament stretched while extruding, resulting in a very inconstant diameter.

That said, I was able to get 1.45mm. While it is a little small, it is very consistent, so I just adjusted the printer's settings accordingly. Any suggestions on thickening it up would be much appreciated.

You can just drill the nozzle out if you like. I leave them a bit small as it is easier to make a small hole bigger than a big hole smaller. They're drilled 1/16" (1.58mm) by default, I'd try 1.8-1.9mm or so.

What is "very consistent"? Could you measure it over a length with calipers? Where did you get the resin from?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking to help other folks out.

elmoret wrote:

You can just drill the nozzle out if you like.

Can I still drill it out the same with a melt filter nozzle?

elmoret wrote:

What is "very consistent"? Could you measure it over a length with calipers?

I didn't write it down (it's on a spool now), but if I remember correctly, I got about 1.44 +/- .2mm over a length of about 5-7 meters. I will be extruding some more today, so I will be sure to write down my results this time and will post them here.

elmoret wrote:

Where did you get the resin from?

I got it off of ebay. It was listed as "Encom PC 2012" I suspect though that it might have some ABS in it, because it flows really easily.
www.ebay. com/itm/121232747054

elmoret wrote:

Sorry for all the questions, just looking to help other folks out.

Not a problem! I am happy to share.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:

Can I still drill it out the same with a melt filter nozzle?

Yes, just remove the screen first if possible, or mark the bit so you don't drill through the screen.

josh.aeauto wrote:

I didn't write it down (it's on a spool now), but if I remember correctly, I got about 1.44 +/- .2mm over a length of about 5-7 meters. I will be extruding some more today, so I will be sure to write down my results this time and will post them here.

+/-0.2mm? I wouldn't call that very consistent, unless you meant +/-0.02mm?

elmoret wrote:

+/-0.2mm? I wouldn't call that very consistent, unless you meant +/-0.02mm?

Yes, sorry, +/-0.02mm

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Then that's great, better than most commercial polycarbonate filament vendors!

I agree! I will go ahead and start another run, and can post a new thread describing my setup and the results I got, if you'd like.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Sure, you can post it here:

http://www.soliforum.com/forum/23/diy-f … materials/

If you follow this format:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/7406/sto … t-reviews/

You'll qualify for $25 in store credit.