1 (edited by Salmonson63 2015-01-02 18:16:01)

Topic: Using Slic3r and Printer Firmware

Hey guys this is my first post not his forum, but I have been following along for quite some time.  I have a Da Vinci 1.0, I am really liking the printer so far but am looking forward to using slic3r and my own filament.  Now I have a couple questions regarding the printer firmware and the software version.  As of right now my printer is running FW 1.1.J and xyzware is 1.0.6.  These are what came installed as I have not updated anything.  Now another thing I should mention is I am using a mac which means no base64 encoding is required.  I have tried creating a few files with slic3r, changing the heading, then importing them in to xyzware with no luck.  So my question is what is the newest version and firmware I should be running to make sure I can use slic3r.

Another thing I should mention is I don't need to go through XYZware, I am fine using an SD card extension and bypassing XYZware completely. 

Thanks for the help!

Re: Using Slic3r and Printer Firmware

If you're uploading the gcode straight to the SD card, you don't need any special software or firmware. You just rename the gcode file to SAMPLE01, SAMPLE02 or SAMPLE03 and you're good to go.
The printer doesn't need any special header in the gcode, it's xyzware that uses that.
So you can pretty much use any slicer you want if you're not uploading via xyzware.
I use Cura which requires any lines in the gcode with G0 at the start to be changed to G1 although there's a quick way round that.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

So does that mean I can update my printer to the most current firmware?  The just print directly from the SD card.

"So does that mean I can update my printer to the most current firmware?  The just print directly from the SD card."

I think the newer firmware will lock out the ability to use your own filament and resetting the cartridge.

5 (edited by scobo 2015-01-02 20:50:42)

Salmonson63 wrote:

So does that mean I can update my printer to the most current firmware?  The just print directly from the SD card.

Not too sure about that one. I've never upgraded past 1.1.G. But it should work fine with 1.1.J.
It might not be a good idea to upgrade anyway if you intend to use 3rd party filament as the newer firmwares makes this much more difficult.
I'm using 1.1.E which disables the filament counter allowing you to use any filament.

From some reading I've done some say it is possible to set the filament usage to zero in the gcode then print from the sd card as the demo print.  My question is when I print from the SD card using the demo print does it still decrease the filament count for the cartridge or will the total usage be zero?

If you're on any other firmware than 1.1.E, the filament will still be counted when printing a demo file.

8 (edited by Salmonson63 2015-01-03 07:04:42)

Thanks for the replies.  Well I finally received the SD card extension and can't get anything to print yet.  I've tried saving the slic3r export as SAMPLE01 and then saving straight to the SD card and changing the heading.  Neither have worked.  Let the tinkering continue! I may try downgrading the printers firmware.

That's odd, I would have thought it should work fine on 1.1.J, although I haven't tried higher than 1.1.G myself.
Do the other 2 demo files print ok ?

Finally got it to work!  Slic3r puts in a space before the M109 command to se the bed temp and wait.  Once I deleted this space and changed the heading it's working great!  Im still not quite getting the quality I had hoped as there are still some small blemishes in surface finish.  Hopefully by changing filament will help as I'm still running the trial filament that comes with the machine.  Thanks for all the help!

I'm pretty certain you'll see an improvement with other filaments. I noticed a big difference when I switched to Sainsmart. I've since used other brands and I'd say the xyz stuff has been the worst quality I've used so far !

That is good to hear.  I'm thinking about trying Octave or Voltivo filament.  I haven't heard of Sainsmart.  There are so many choices.  Guess i'll have to do some more research.