Topic: nothing works

I have 2 Solidoodles.  One of them ("A") had a problem where the wiring between the controller and the extruder failed, so the hot end would not heat.  The other ("B") had a problem where the connector at the hot end failed (wires pulled out).

I fixed the latter (B), by stuffing the wires into the connector, and then crimping the connector with a pliers.  I then was able to print one part (the door knob) with that printer.

I started to print another part with that printer (B).  As the extruder heated up, it suddenly failed again (graphed temperature slowly fell).  The bed was still heating.

Now none of the heaters on either printer work.  I expected to measure 12 V DC on the outputs of the controllers, but none of them shows 12 V.  I tested the meter by measuring a 1.5 V battery, and it is not the meter.

I'm both stumped and exhausted.  Everything seems to be unreliable and failing.

I've worked around electronics long enough to be pretty sure that I did not accidentally short out the heaters.  I know that I never saw a spark.  The beds were heating up until about an hour ago.  It is possible that the crimping solution that I did for "B", combined with high temperatures at that extruder, could have caused the connector to fail/short, but I don't see how that would have caused the beds to fail.

Anyone calm enough to walk me through some triage?

Re: nothing works

I think I figured out why everything stopped working. I disconnected the hot end thermistors, when I was fiddling with the hot ends, which then disabled all of the heaters.  With the thermistors re-connected, the voltages are appearing again.  Still need to figure out how to get power to the hot ends reliably, but that is an ongoing battle.

Do you have any spare female motherboard connectors? They've been working for me - I cut a 3" pigtail, soldered the wires to the power resistor. The solder has stayed solid, no melting at the connector.

A picture might help me see what you are doing.  I have lots of dead motherboards and the like.

I wonder if there are different solders, with different melting points.

I'm thinking of using some butt-end crimp connectors.  The insulation on the ones that I have is only rated at 100 C, so that is a non-starter.  Off to the hardware store tomorrow.

5 (edited by elmoret 2012-12-28 01:24:54)

It's this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … nAodxioAfA

I'm not home for a week, or I'd take a picture of my Solidoodle. Sorry.

Just female connector to bare wires.

I wouldn't worry about the 100C insulation rating. I've been running 125C heatshrink that goes all the way up to the resistor without issue. At 100C it's not as strong physically or electrically, but that doesn't mean it'll catch fire or melt.

I've replaced my wiring with these and had great success. I use a 6" in the back to bring it up to the bundle and then a 12" from there with it taped down to provide strain relief. I'm using them on the hot end wires and thermistor wires.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/67

Brilliant!  I have a bag of these, and one of my printers is now working again!  Now I can print the parts to fix the other one!  Thank you!

jooshs wrote:

I've replaced my wiring with these and had great success. I use a 6" in the back to bring it up to the bundle and then a 12" from there with it taped down to provide strain relief. I'm using them on the hot end wires and thermistor wires.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/67

8 (edited by jooshs 2012-12-28 21:49:05)

No problem!  Just let me know if they fail on you as I'm not sure if they're rated for the current draw. However, I've put a couple dozen hours in without any issues.  Oh ya, and I have the connections taped with kapton to double up on the security of it.

The Pololu wires are still working fine after a week.  The hot end: not so much.  I keep digging divots into the filament

goodluck hope its al working good now!

One of the printers is now working OK.  By "now" and "OK" I mean "I printed for 2 hours without a failure".  Time will tell.