Topic: Cool idea for extruder fan cowling

If you go here

http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/

and search for "Richard Gain's Book" you will find an interesting approach to cooling the extruded PLA.  The cowling puts out air in a ring around the hot end...

Re: Cool idea for extruder fan cowling

That's the way the Solidoodle fan duct works - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30828

With the Solidoodle, the fan needs to be more vertical to fit within the case, and it still bumps the door.  I have to make a new one to fit around the J-Head, and I'm looking for a way to mount it at the side so it doesn't hit the door.  Another possibility is using a squirrel cage (sideways fan) and mounting it under the X axis, but those are harder to find in a small enough size.

I guess I never saw, from the pictures, what was going on.  Very cool...

I think the current design is pretty good for what we are doing.  We are all limited to the confines of the solidoodle and its frame. Obviously itd be nice to have a fan system that wouldn't hit anything,  but it might be tough to get .

Why not mount the fan elsewhere and run the air through tubing to a small ring?  I know the fans you're using now wouldn't pull enough air to push through the tube but the concept should be solid.  Think of a dust blower on a hobby saw or something of that nature.

cmetzel wrote:

Why not mount the fan elsewhere and run the air through tubing to a small ring?  I know the fans you're using now wouldn't pull enough air to push through the tube but the concept should be solid.  Think of a dust blower on a hobby saw or something of that nature.

That's a really good idea. You'd need a squirrel cage blower or something to generate the static pressure though.

You'd need a squirrel cage blower or something to generate the static pressure though.  Exactly that is the main problem with the "duct" designs.  K.I.S.S. mounts are preferred for low CFM fans by most.

That would be cool if it works with a squirrel cage.  I've tried it with a regular fan funneled into a hose, and it didn't really work.  You can get a slight airflow with an aquarium pump, but there isn't any gcode control.   If a squirrel cage can push air through a hose, then you don't need one small enough to mount on the X carriage, you can put a bigger one on the floor of the case.

You can get a slight airflow with an aquarium pump, but there isn't any g-code control. 

Just use one of the Fotek DC/AC Solid State Relays on the fan output to retain g-code control for any AC hardware (Aqua pump, Squirrel Cage Fan, etc); the response time of SSR(s) is near that of the speed of light so you won't notice any delay and then you could use any size fan you want. (just remember you are using mains voltage and those shocks are not so fun).