1 (edited by Double A 2014-12-12 22:53:24)

Topic: Slic3r Gcode questions

Hey all,

Im trying to get Slic3r working with my DaVinci 1.0 firmware v1.2.3 and Im a bit unsure of editing the Gcode.  Last time I tried this (modded XYZware) the nozzle hit the bed and the prints were fast and stringy.

Im referencing this setup video on youtube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeXzS7pNR_w

I downloaded the DaVinci .ini file (from jasongao on github - listed on the youtube video info) and loaded that as the config file.
What Gcode 'flavor' should I be using?  RepRap/Repetier is the default.

My biggest hangup is how the Gcode should look.  The youtube video shows this for the header.
; filename = composition.3w
; machine = daVinciF10
; material = abs
; layer_height = 0.2
; total_layers = 173
; total_filament = 0.00
; extruder = 1
G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S100 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached

Mine shows this;
; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2014-12-12 at 17:16:31

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.42mm

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S105 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached

I cannot find where the total layers is listed.  Should I overwrite all layers up to G21 and replace it with the example on the youtube video, or add it to what is there already?
This is my first time actually diving into Gcode, so Im a little hesitant about entering the wrong info and damaging something.
Thanks!

Re: Slic3r Gcode questions

I went around this issue when I was trying to use Slic3r basically you don't need the text at the top of the gcode file. If you do want it then you have to use stock xyzware to generate the filament amount and printing time and then manually copy that text across to the gcode file generated by Slic3r.the other thing to check is that all G0 instructions are replaced with G1 instructions as the da vinci only uses the G1 instructions. Use notepad++ to edit the text files.

Hope that helps

Regards

Grant

Just install xyzware open mod -http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-software/28-xyz-software-repository

It makes everything way easier to use.

Thank you for the replies.

grantgibson45 wrote:

I went around this issue when I was trying to use Slic3r basically you don't need the text at the top of the gcode file. If you do want it then you have to use stock xyzware to generate the filament amount and printing time and then manually copy that text across to the gcode file generated by Slic3r.the other thing to check is that all G0 instructions are replaced with G1 instructions as the da vinci only uses the G1 instructions. Use notepad++ to edit the text files.

Hope that helps

Regards

Grant

Interesting.  So the top text isnt needed at all, and change G0 to G1 for all lines?
Im a little confused about editing the gcode, wont the filament amount/printing time from XYZware be different if its sliced with Sli3r?

rawkstar320 wrote:

Just install xyzware open mod -http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-software/28-xyz-software-repository
It makes everything way easier to use.

I tried XYZ Open mod originally and had a lot of printing issues.  The nozzle hit the bed and chipped it (very small chip luckily) on the first print.  After I adjusted, all of the prints were very stringy, as though it was moving too fast or not extruding material fast enough.  Editing the settings didnt appear to have any change, so I ended up going  back to stock XYZware so I could print.
Do you have to set any particular settings in XYZ Open, or leave the default settings?

Yeah it probably will be which is why I just leave it out. Basically I generate the gcode and then open with notepad++ then press ctrl + h replace G0 with G1 and hit replace all save the gcode as SAMPLE01 or SAMPLE02 etc on to the Sd card and then print from the card. You don't get a time left displayed on the screen but it does display a running timer. To be honest I have been using craftware to slice and it estimates the print on the screen. The way I look at it is do I really need to know and I came up with the conclusion that it was a nice to have piece of information not a necessity

Regards

Grant