Topic: Axis Rods? Where to get them?

I found out today my right side X-axis rod is warped. If I move the head over the right front quarter of my bed and rotate the rod by hand the head will move up and down a total of 1mm or a little more.

So where can I get rods from? MY issue is I am just a single guy in an apartment with nothing but basic power tools. I don't have the equipment to cut the grooves for the snap rings into a new rod. If I could I would have no issue then replacing this rod. Heck I would change out all the rods to a harder better quality if I could do that.

So has anyone found a source for these rods yet? I am not going to send XYZ a blank check..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Axis Rods? Where to get them?

I honestly think you are going to need to make them.  Now if my memory serves about how they are built (I am not near my machine now) how exact/perfect the groves are shouldn't matter that much.  As a result I would try either a hacksaw or perhaps a pipe cutter (for copper pipes) may work to create those groves.  I suspect the distance will be off by a bit, but yo can fix that with shims.  Worth a shot I would guess.  Better then a worthless printer.
The other option is you could bring the part to a machine shop.  I don't suspect that making a new one would cost that much.  Just be sure when you tell them to make you one "just like this" to add "without the bend to it.  You don't want them making you an exact duplicate, with a bend in it.

Check McMaster Carr. I haven't measured it, but you should be able to get something from them.

Where in the world are you. I Am on a couple forums that the main focus in building model engines. SOO i know a few guys with lathes.  would need the original or a good sketch or drawing to work with.
My other thought is can you use a collar to hold the rods in place that is what solidoodle does. No machining required.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

rawkstar320 wrote:

Check McMaster Carr. I haven't measured it, but you should be able to get something from them.

I can get the rod, no issues. It is getting the groove for the snap rings at each end cut is where my set back is. All I have is a dremel and it will not give me the accuracy I need..

I have a few options. I also could get it straightened as well. The bend is very minor but equates to 1mm or more of difference in head height over plate.

lol print a little jig so you can cut the groove with the dremel.

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

why not sure it could be done.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

georgehine wrote:

lol print a little jig so you can cut the groove with the dremel.

Might do that, but first working on a new carriage for PEEK j-head snd Bowden setup while I still have ABS left. Think it makes better carriage material since it has higher heat resistances.

9 (edited by Claghorn 2014-12-21 14:28:49)

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for my solidoodle from Misumi USA http://us.misumi-ec.com/ - that's the US web site, but they sell all over the world. They have a customizer web page you can go through which included a vast number of different ways to machine the ends - don't remember if grooves for snap rings was an option, but you could check the web site.

Also, I have no idea what an XYZ looks like, but possibly you could substitute plain rods with a shaft collar to hold it in place.

Claghorn wrote:

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for my solidoodle from Misumi USA http://us.misumi-ec.com/ - that's the US web site, but they sell all over the world. They have a customizer web page you can go through which included a vast number of different ways to machine the ends - don't remember if grooves for snap rings was an option, but you could check the web site.

Also, I have no idea what an XYZ looks like, but possibly you could substitute plain rods with a shaft collar to hold it in place.

I was just about to suggest misumi. I order a lot of stuff from them (for work). End machine is definitely an offering from them.

I would not suggest cutting the rods with a dremel...buy I guess you can try. Case hardened rods are pretty hard....