Topic: Futurist of 3D printing?

Is there an expert on the likely direction of 3D printing? Of the many different technologies used to 3D print objects in layers and even a subtractive method which is likely to be the commercial version for average non-tinkering people that just want consistent results?

Re: Futurist of 3D printing?

subtraction method = left over material = having a cost to recycle it or toss it(wasted material) = -$$$$ just from a general perspective.

TunerSR wrote:

subtraction method = left over material = having a cost to recycle it or toss it(wasted material) = -$$$$ just from a general perspective.

If the item comes out right the first time and there are no limitations to do with overhangs it just might cost less. And I would imagine PLA could be used as a recyclable material?

My main question is who is the expert on the most likely direction for commercial 3D printing? Nozzle and filament drawing like SD, makerbot, printerbot, etc. Jets and binding substance like with Objet and metal 3D printing. Or closer to liquid resin that is cured with a laser? What is going to win out?

HP is thinking it will be them.  I don't remember the exact process, but I think it is a variation on binder in a powder bed with the ability to include additives to affect color and material properties-

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-pri … nting.html