Topic: Printer not showing up

A couple of weeks ago I unplugged my printer and took out my sd card from the back. When i put it back in it boot and works on the lcd but does show up on both windows and mac XYZware. I have tried different SD card, unplugging then replugging but it always does not show up. I have recently only been able to print by replacing the g-code files for the demos with my sliced models. Please help I need to get my printer running again.

Ps-when the sd is removed the printer added a new file in addition to the original sd car files(offlien print ...ect) for every time i took it out.

Thanks in advance

Re: Printer not showing up

johnluksas wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I unplugged my printer and took out my sd card from the back. When i put it back in it boot and works on the lcd but does show up on both windows and mac XYZware. I have tried different SD card, unplugging then replugging but it always does not show up. I have recently only been able to print by replacing the g-code files for the demos with my sliced models. Please help I need to get my printer running again.

Ps-when the sd is removed the printer added a new file in addition to the original sd car files(offlien print ...ect) for every time i took it out.

Thanks in advance

The offline file is the gcode that your host sent to the printer for the current print job. With the Da V and it's host what normally happens is you slice the model in the host. when you click print it uploads the entire gcode to the sd card and prints from the offline file on the sd card. You could unplug the USB cable and it would still print unlike other printers that are sent data real time over the USB.

Have confirmed that the com port has not changed? If you use a different usb port it will give you a different com port and you will have to click on the little printer icon of your host  and point it to the right port.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

need to delete the other 3 copies of this topic

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Yes I have tried to use other usb ports and look in devices-->usb and I always find it never shows up(mac and pc. What I was trying to say in the first one is I have no ability to even connect and upload any files. This happened after I attempted to start the machine after inserting the sd card after I took it out. On start up with the sd card in the printer is usable fro, the LCD with the ability to print from the samples. I am not sure if it is on the software side (reset maybe) or if my usb connecter on my PCB is bad. Thanks for your quick replies already.

johnluksas wrote:

Yes I have tried to use other usb ports and look in devices-->usb and I always find it never shows up(mac and pc. What I was trying to say in the first one is I have no ability to even connect and upload any files. This happened after I attempted to start the machine after inserting the sd card after I took it out. On start up with the sd card in the printer is usable fro, the LCD with the ability to print from the samples. I am not sure if it is on the software side (reset maybe) or if my usb connecter on my PCB is bad. Thanks for your quick replies already.

I would suggest going to XYZ's site and download the drivers. You may need to download the newest host to do so and install it. Sounds like the drivers are corrupt and the PC can't identify the device.

One question, when you unplug it and plug it in to the Windows machine do you get the sound it makes to confirm a device has been attached and unattached?

No it does not even make the sound or show up in devices on mac or pc

Here is what my sd card looks like

Post's attachments

da_vinci.jpg
da_vinci.jpg 26.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

johnluksas wrote:

Here is what my sd card looks like

Card files look fine. The issue is not the card. They issue is some how during your removal of the card you damaged the USB port. If the computer does not mske the sound it normally does when a device is plugged in then your USB port or port controller on your Printers main board is bad. This has nothing to do with the card. At this point all you are left with is moving files to the card and tenaming them to sample0 whatever and printing through the printers control panel. The bad port was my suspicion and reason for my question.

So is there no way to fix it

10 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-12-10 02:50:28)

johnluksas wrote:

So is there no way to fix it

Unless you can pull the board out and visually inspect it to see if there is any visible damage, no. If you did find damage getting the part and doing the repair would be a whole different issue. You could search on ebay and see if a mainboard is there.  They show up sometimes. Otherwise see if XYZ will sell you one. I doubt it since they are paranoid of reversed engineering even though it has already been done.

I noticed you mentioned you unplugged the printer and removed the card. My guess is that you damaged the port through ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). When it is unplugged the path to ground is no longer there and thus if you hit it with static the static has no safe place to go but into the board. When I do work on it I will turn it off but never unplug it as the ground through the power cord is the only ground and only path for static to leave.

I know many do work on printed circuit boards with no ill affects all the time. But there is always that chance and many are just lucky.

Thanks a lot for your help Carl