1 (edited by alexandernadeau 2014-12-05 21:46:55)

Topic: Can you tell me why this hourglass action happens on my prints?

Hi guys

This hourglass action shaping near the bottom of all of my prints, when they're supposed to be completely cylindrical. Any reason why this happens to almost all of my prints and what I can to do stop it?

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 756.96 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-12-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Can you tell me why this hourglass action happens on my prints?

I should probably define my problem, it is at the bottom of the print. the larger separation near the top is supposed to be there smile

alexandernadeau wrote:

I should probably define my problem, it is at the bottom of the print. the larger separation near the top is supposed to be there smile

Are you asking about the lifting around the edges?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
alexandernadeau wrote:

no, there is no lifting of the edges, I am meaning the hourglass shaping at the bottom, its supposed to be completely cylindrical.

carl_m1968 wrote:
alexandernadeau wrote:

I have adjusted my post and title accordingly.

alexandernadeau wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
alexandernadeau wrote:

Judging by the discoloration I would say your temperature is too high in that region. Maybe try printing at a higher speed or lowering the temp. The first layer is really the only one that needs to be hotter and slower.

This problem plagued me for weeks and weeks, I tried changing speeds, temps, different locations on the print bead, I tried many things.  I switched filament and poof, gone.  I am personally using ExcelFil, and I don't have this issue at all and I recommend nothing else for filament.  The problem is as it prints, the edges are curling, and that's what is actually causing it.  I recommend trying it, I get mine through cubicity.com.  They provide exact printing temps for ideal printing for every color they make on voltivos site, in addition if you use slic3r, they have a slic3r config file you can download and import into slic3r so you get the optimum slicer filament settings for their filament.  You don't have to use ExcelFil, but I would recommend trying a different filament.

Jaeg wrote:

This problem plagued me for weeks and weeks, I tried changing speeds, temps, different locations on the print bead, I tried many things.  I switched filament and poof, gone.  I am personally using ExcelFil, and I don't have this issue at all and I recommend nothing else for filament.  The problem is as it prints, the edges are curling, and that's what is actually causing it.  I recommend trying it, I get mine through cubicity.com.  They provide exact printing temps for ideal printing for every color they make on voltivos site, in addition if you use slic3r, they have a slic3r config file you can download and import into slic3r so you get the optimum slicer filament settings for their filament.  You don't have to use ExcelFil, but I would recommend trying a different filament.

ive tried 2 different filaments at the time, and they both had the problem, both different qualitys and companies.

carl_m1968 wrote:
alexandernadeau wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Judging by the discoloration I would say your temperature is too high in that region. Maybe try printing at a higher speed or lowering the temp. The first layer is really the only one that needs to be hotter and slower.

What temperature differences would you try after the first layer?

thanks
alex

alexandernadeau wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
alexandernadeau wrote:

What temperature differences would you try after the first layer?

thanks
alex

I have converted my Dav to use Repetier  firmware and Host.  I also use Kapton or blue painters tape. I heat my bed to about 110 and then I print at 210 for the entire model. I actually have been playing around with bed temps between 80 and 110 as I am getting warping sometimes on my edges.  I am going to try to install a second ducted fan to help with thst issue however.