1 (edited by Geps 2014-12-01 21:16:07)

Topic: RESOLVED:Problems With First Custom Print

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I can get some thoughts on this last print please?

Had my Da Vinci for 2 days, and started off by just doing one of the sample prints. Seemed to print fine and was impressed with it, so thought I'd get it to print this part for a project I'm working on. I wanted to see how accurate and fine it could print, so set it to slow with 0.1mm etc with the 2nd most dense option selected (one after solid).

Printing took 22 hours but didn't seem to have any problems....gone to get it off the printer this morning and it's clear things didn't go so smoothly:

1) The bed cracked which I see is quite a common problem on here so going to try and get a new one cut (3mm) tomorrow to fix that. Still don't get why - I made sure to clean it and cover it in the glue they provide. I can even seen the glue underneath the glass that's stuck to it.

2) The plastic looks badly burnt underneath - have a look at the pictures, and the top is fine but underneath it looks very dark. This is just with the standard filament it comes with. Any had anything similar? Is this why the bed cracked? Maybe too hot and it melted the glue?

3) If you look at the photos you'll see that the edges have distorted but only opposite each other. IE, if you look at it as a clock, there is problems in the 12 and 6 positions, but the 3 and 9 positions look great. I've noticed there is some lack in the right hand X belt so I'm hoping to loosen the screws to tighten that up unless anyone has another idea to try?

Cheers,

Post's attachments

IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG 2.43 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG 1.56 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-11-30 

IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG 1.84 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by scobo 2014-12-01 21:25:47)

Re: RESOLVED:Problems With First Custom Print

Not too sure what's going on with the bottom of your print but, regarding oval circles, take a look here .... http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci-peersu … d?start=20
In short, check all belts are tight including the shorter one in the top right above the stepper motor.  Check if any bearing mounts are cracked and it may also help to shim the white pulleys.
I had the same problem and had to replace 3 bearing mounts and shimmed the pulleys also.
My circles are now good.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Great, thanks Scobo - I'll give it a try.

No worries.
I realise you haven't had your printer long but the stock bearing mounts really are pretty poor quality and there's been reports of them being broken from day one. Mine didn't last much longer. Broken mounts will prevent the belts from tightening properly.
You can download and print replacements from Thingiverse which are much stronger if required.

Yeah I saw that - I'm thinking though if I can't fit a circle now, there's probably not much point printing new mounts. I was going to try tightening the belts first and then when there is a slight improvement get the new mounts printed.

Thanks again,

That's what I thought but I went ahead and printed them and managed to get them to fit with a bit of sanding.
Even with good circles, you'll probably find you need to sand them a bit anyway.

Just to post an update, I went and got a couple new 2x210x210mm glass sheets today (only cost £2 each) and have slid them under the brackets on top of the cracked stock one.

After abit of messing about calibrating (easy when you get what it's telling you)  I then printed a test print of a tube 5mm high with OD of 80mm and wall thickness of 5mm to test the circle printing ability.

Like you scobo, one of the belts had to be tightened up (top right as you look at it)....even then it was still printing ovals. Checked for squareness as mentioned in that link, by sliding the print head forward as far as possible and noticed that it wasn't square to the belts. Had to loosen up the belts and rotate the LHS one round by 3/4 notches and reprinted nearly perfect!

I've got a slight problem in that my design has a 10mm hole that is coming out at 9.5mm but I think I'll just change that on the CAD file.

On the note of the discolouring, XYZ have said it's because of the long time to print and the heat has no where to dissipate so I should rerun with at least 0.2mm depth. They say the bed is apparently also because I lifted it when it was hot but it had sat there for 4 hours after printing before I had a chance to lift it, so I question that....either way, they've offered to send me a new one out to replace the old one. Think I'm going to replace the bed when they come and then use my new 2mm sheets over the top just to prevent any problems again.

Thanks Scobo, I'm off to print the bearing mounts now I'm back up and running.

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-12-01 23:28:56)

You can also use blue painters tape or Kapton tape. ABS sticks to both very well when hot and snaps right off when cool. The advantage to tape is the print sticks to the tape, not your actual bed.

This glue stick to my knowledge is unique to XYZ and there is nothing different between it and most open source printers other than cartridges and weird firmware. Both of which are easily removed.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.