Topic: Model shifting mid print

For a little background here, I am a newbie, I have finally calibrated my Solidoodle (leveling board, extrusion etc) and I still have not had a successful print (except for a tiny box I made just to get the extrusion right).

So here's my problem:  The solidoodle starts the first layer and perimeter fine, then it gets confused and starts printing the rest of the model a cm off in the y-direction.

As you can see in the picture I was printing a map of the state of Michigan.  I ran the model through cloud.netfabb so I'm fairly positive it is not the model causing this, and because this also happened with a couple other designs I previously tested.  So then I upload the design into Repetier and sliced with Slic3r. In the viewing window, the model looked fine so I hit print.  But then after the first layer, the model is shifted down.  If you look at the south border of michigan, you can see that the perimeter was printed3 separate times, each time shifted down about a cm.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Post's attachments

shifted design 2.JPG
shifted design 2.JPG 38.76 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-20 

shifted design.JPG
shifted design.JPG 46.66 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Model shifting mid print

Skipping steps! Could be mechanical binding (probably) or electrical. Lots of troubleshooting posted so far, search around a bit.

I agree... judging by the screw placements this is y-axis issue.  Check movement on y-axis by manually moving the y-carriage by hand to see if it's smooth.  Check the belt tensions and adjust as necessary.  After that, it very well may be an electrical issue so you'll have to do some searching on the forums to see how this was tackled.

Check here:
http://vimeo.com/55031028

for Solidoodle's true circle alignment as this also shows y-carriage adjustments.

4 (edited by ysb 2012-12-20 17:37:13)

also check your endstop...

the last time i had this problem, it was a short-cut on one cable of the endstop of the x carriage. (i redo the solder point on the endstop switch to correct the problem and replug all endstop connector)

during the print, the switch send false information that the head touch the endstop, and the print shift because the printer think that the head is not where it think it is..

Thanks everyone for the help. 

So last night I did the y-axis alignment and belt tightening per the video at wiki.solidoodle.com/solidoodle-1      (In case anyone else wants to do the same)

According to the video, this should get everything running so smooth you can print a perfect circle, so thats what I tried to print first.  I posted the picture below.  I am pretty excited about this print because I think I finally got all the setting right and the circle turned out pretty good. 

Then I thought I would print a star for my Christmas Tree.  And you can see I had the same shifting problem as before.  I think I can eliminate any mechanical problems.  There was no motor griding, all belts are aligned with no rubbing or contact.  The plastic was free and did not interfere witht the extruder.

So I think the next step is seeing if there is an electrical, which I plan to do tonight.

Is there any way that this could be caused by the software?  Maybe something I did while installing it?

Post's attachments

cylinder.JPG
cylinder.JPG 26.74 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-12-21 

shifted star.JPG
shifted star.JPG 40.43 kb, 5 downloads since 2012-12-21 

When you slide the Y axis back and forth, is the motion smooth, or are there any points along the way where there is a little more resistance?  The drive rod on mine is bent slightly, so with every revolution there is a point where it has to push a little harder.  There might still be a mechanical issue that is at a point in the Y axis that the circle didn't reach, but the star does.   If there is a sticking point, the motor belt might be tight enough to bind it there.

The voltage on the driver being off is another possibility, so that is worth checking as well.

you can try to print a bigger circle..

Still no luck.....

the y-axis seems really smooth when I move it by hand, and the rods seems straight.  I also checked the connection on the end stop, it looked fine but I re-soldered it anyways because I had all the tools ready.  Sadly, this didn't do anything. 

Ian I think next I will check the drive motor, any advice on where to start with that?  I'm also going to buy some lube and just make sure the carriage is gliding smooth.  But after that I am fresh out of ideas.

Try removing the set screw on the pulley on the side without the x motor, and printing again.

Finally the holiday break is over and I can try to fix this thing again!!

So I have been trouble shooting with all the suggestions from everyone, but nothing is working.  So I recorded a print.  The printer stalls, or gets caught while traveling on the y-plane, but I can’t seem to tell if it’s binding somewhere or if the motor isn’t getting enough juice or what.

Check out the video if you have a minute, the first time it skips is at 2:40, but really just skip to minute 5 and watch.  It skips at 5:03, 5:24, 5:36, 5:46, 5:55, 6:05….. it actually skips 31 times in the 9 minute video.  I couldn't get the video to upload here so I put it on YouTube.  I don't have permission to add links yet but its here:

youtube.com/watch?v=yN78VY8Nrcg

I just borrowed a buddies voltmeter so I am about to check the motor.  I have looked around and I can’t find anything about what amps/volts I should be reading.  So if anyone knows please don’t hold out on me!!

Thanks again everyone.

11 (edited by jooshs 2013-01-06 01:28:58)

Wow, that is really loud!  It does actually sound like there might be an issue with stepper motor and I didn't hear it grinding when it shifted prints. That high pitched sinusoidal sound is often an indication of the motor trying to pull to much current.

http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/troubleshooting/

That has the voltage/current requirements.

It can be drawing too much current if there is too much friction to move the carriage or the trimpot is not properly adjusted. Also, how do you have your filament mounted?  There appears to be a lot of tension in the line. First things first though, check your board and check all of your set screws in the pulleys.

Edit:  Tomek is correct... The stepper motors are going to pull current dependent on the voltage settings not the friction unlike brushed dc motors.

The stepper motor will be drawing the same amount of current, dependent on that voltage setting, irrespective of the friction.

I watched the video and am not sure what's going on... Are your Y-axis sliders in alignment?

Have you checked the below?

An improperly set trimpot on a stepper motor driver. The trimpots, which control motor current, could be set too high or too low. The four stepper motor drivers (X, Y, Z and E) are located on the motherboard and can be adjusted with a small screwdriver. This is a tricky problem to diagnose, so we recommend you contact us first so we may walk you through it.

14 (edited by ronsii 2013-01-06 04:45:16)

You might try to add some additional load with your hand (be careful you shouldn't need much) with the manual move controls in pronterface, just move the printhead back an forward with your hand giving some drag then do the same left and right just to give you an idea of how much force is required to make the motors lose steps after you have done this with your hand on the printhead then do the same on either end of the x axis, if the axis is slipping out of alignment you should feel it on one side and it is most likely the drive gears on one side slipping against the shaft.

edit: just do small moves and keep an eye on where the head is so you don't get pinched :0

ysb wrote:

you can try to print a bigger circle..

hahah yes i agree

It worked!!  So I followed the instructions on the troubleshooting section on Solidoodles site and played Operation with the motherboard.  The voltage for the y motor was set to .48, and I adjusted it to the recommended .52  per the instructions.  I successfully completed 2 prints without the stalling I was experiencing, which was somewhere around an hour of trouble free printing.  I started off with an easy print of a money clip, and by the time it finished I felt a hundered times better than those  2 dollars I shoved in it.  (Picture attached)

Then I moved on to an X-wing starship and got a little more light saber than spaceship if ya know what I mean…. Seriously though, look at the pic its hard to miss.  But now that I can complete a print I can start messing around with the settings to get these to come out better.  I did actually run into another problem though, I was printing the Yoda bust (this is all coincidence, I’m not a Star Wars nerd…. Well I guess deep down who isn’t though right?)  and a half hour into the print it just stopped printing.  No warning, no weird noises or anything, it just froze up.  So I tried it again and the same thing happened (not at the same spot though).  I’m going to search around and see if this has happened to anyone else, but if you have any advice on that feel free to comment, otherwise Thanks again everyone!!

Post's attachments

money clip.JPG
money clip.JPG 31.3 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-07 

xwing.JPG 28.97 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-07 

17 (edited by ysb 2013-01-07 17:36:43)

.. it just stopped printing.  No warning, no weird noises or anything, it just froze up..

my printer do this thing sometimes.. it seems to be related with a probleme with the USB buffer and/or slic3r... (i never had this problem with another slicer...)

i reboot my computer and the printer (unplug printer from USB and turn off power ) and all come back to the normal until the next time.. (very rare...)

Fixed it, I have.

Seriously this printer is awesome.  I made it through my first 2 hour (ish) print, and I saw a lot of people were following this topic so I thought I would add the happy ending and show my yoda print.

Post's attachments

yoda.JPG
yoda.JPG 33.25 kb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-08 

a0devito wrote:

Fixed it, I have.

Seriously this printer is awesome.  I made it through my first 2 hour (ish) print, and I saw a lot of people were following this topic so I thought I would add the happy ending and show my yoda print.

so what was the solution for mid stop issue?

was it b/c your computer was running something else?
was it b/c your computer just needs a reboot?

or the problem is intermittent.  :-(?

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

The problem had nothing to do with my computer.  After I adjusted the voltage being supplied to the y stepper motor I have not had an issue.

Read all the posts here, there is also a video on youtube where you can see exactly how the printer was acting.