Topic: Bed Heater - Loose Wire

Well, 170ish hours on the machine and one of the wires going to the heated build plate detached from the thin film heating element.
I have emailed XYZ to see if they can send a replacement under warranty. Outside of warranty its $60 from their site (plus tax / ship). I still have about a month left on the warranty if they chose to honor it.

Ugh... guess the next thing to go is the power supply... thats the only spare part on their site I have not ordered besides the build plate. Good thing parts are relatively cheap.

Beware of the cheap parts in these printers. Connections are fragile. I honestly didn't damage the printer accidentally. I started to notice that my prints were not sticking to the bed anymore. Then when the wire broke the error 0010 (same for a bad heater core / connector) displayed.

Joy.

Re: Bed Heater - Loose Wire

Support wants me to upgrade to the latest firmware, provide machine hours, take a picture of the wire etc.

WTF does a broken wire have to do with firmware?

dsell wrote:

Support wants me to upgrade to the latest firmware, provide machine hours, take a picture of the wire etc.

They want to confirm you are using and force you to use the latest firmware so they can make sure you are using their filament and non-hacked cartridges. The newest firmware allows them to connect to it during a print and confirm if the cartridge is official. If it is not they will disable the printer till an official cartridge is installed. 

The rest of the request is to give them options they might be able to turn around on you. Thats the way warranty claims work. Trust me, I am a warranty tech for a large electronic subcontractor. I am always trying to prove customer fault.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
dsell wrote:

They want to confirm you are using and force you to use the latest firmware so they can make sure you are using their filament and non-hacked cartridges. The newest firmware allows them to connect to it during a print and confirm if the cartridge is official. If it is not they will disable the printer till an official cartridge is installed. 

The rest of the request is to give them options they might be able to turn around on you. Thats the way warranty claims work. Trust me, I am a warranty tech for a large electronic subcontractor. I am always trying to prove customer fault.

@carl_m1968 So your saying your part of the problem then wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
dsell wrote:

Actually I am just one of those rebels who refuses to accept proprietary poopoo.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

6 (edited by dsell 2014-11-27 00:39:00)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Actually I am just one of those rebels who refuses to accept proprietary poopoo.

If they dont honor the warranty because of any of these reasons its really no big deal. Its a $60 part that I may be able to fix anyway. The printer is young and shouldnt have a part failure like this one, especially when all I do is level the print bed every few prints.

Problem for XYZ with this printer is that its based on somewhat non-proprietary hardware. Its hackable, and the board is definitely replaceable with a bit of work.

I purchased it as a first 3D printer. After the warranty is up I will probably get the firmware replaced, go crazy on hacks and break it for good smile

For now I just want to make some presents for the kids!

carl_m1968 wrote:
wardjr wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I hear ya.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions