Re: better heated bed for SD4?

wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:
wardjr wrote:

@grob -  You are so nice smile

+1
I have been debating on this for some time and am a dumb dumb with electronics (see my sig) big_smile

You were debating whether or not grob is a nice guy? wink or whether or not to do this mod? Or whether or not to post a diagram how to do this mod?
big_smile big_smile big_smile

Well.. I honestly haven't met a single soul who is unaware of grob's level of awesomeness, so quite possibly the last two big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:
wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

+1
I have been debating on this for some time and am a dumb dumb with electronics (see my sig) big_smile

You were debating whether or not grob is a nice guy? wink or whether or not to do this mod? Or whether or not to post a diagram how to do this mod?

Well.. I honestly haven't met a single soul who is unaware of grob's level of awesomeness, so quite possibly the last two big_smile

Smooth recovery wink of course I'd have to agree.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Wow...I guess that leaves me in the "Bah Humbug" category for NOT posting a diagram today!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

IronMan wrote:
wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

Wow...I guess that leaves me in the "Bah Humbug" category for NOT posting a diagram today!

Just do what I do and blame your day job smile

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:
IronMan wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Just do what I do and blame your day job smile

You got that right...tough day sad Better now with a Martini smile

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:

For shame, good sir! wink
Thank you for all of your help as well smile

Back on topic though, the given diagram really does show how easy it can be. Granted, I understand it is important to properly set up for such upgrade for safety reasons, but this is seeming more like something I am capable of.

And I screwed up a RUMBA twice wink

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

AZERATE wrote:
IronMan wrote:

For shame, good sir! wink
Thank you for all of your help as well smile

Back on topic though, the given diagram really does show how easy it can be. Granted, I understand it is important to properly set up for such upgrade for safety reasons, but this is seeming more like something I am capable of.

I wouldn't bet on it wink
On a side note: anyone interested in starting a pool as to whether or not AZERATE screws this up?  big_smile

wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

this is seeming more like something I am capable of.

I wouldn't bet on it wink
On a side note: anyone interested in starting a pool as to whether or not AZERATE screws this up?  big_smile

I bet $5. May as well monopolize on the reputation at this point big_smile

59 (edited by jagowilson 2014-12-18 03:03:04)

Fire, fire everywhere ... wink let's hope not big_smile

I'm placing a bunch of orders for various parts I need while I'm away from my machine. Some sort of heatpad and SSR are on the list for sure... Gonna have to heat that bed up well all around to fully utilize that volcano wink

is there a reason to use a 30A relay? Seems like 20A would still be around 10 Amps more than needed just for safety.

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

is there a reason to use a 30A relay? Seems like 20A would still be around 10 Amps more than needed just for safety.

Some SSRs will build up their own resistance and it's better to overkill on the rating...I got a 60A rated SSR to control a maximum 20A board.

I also bought the optional heat sink and put a fan on it to keep it cool.

62 (edited by redbarret 2014-12-18 11:57:37)

Thanks again. So no harm from more Amperage rating?
lets say I only find 20 or 30A, how will I know it still isn't enough? Heat generated? Or is some heat generated normal?

Solidoodle 4

63 (edited by IronMan 2014-12-18 12:03:54)

redbarret wrote:

Thanks again. So no harm from more Amperage rating?
lets say I only find 20 or 30A, how will I know it still isn't enough? Heat generated? Or is some heat generated normal?

With regard to the SSR, I fried a 30A rated version when my PCB heater was rated for 20A...so I ended up with a 60A SSR...it still gets warm, but with a heat sink and cooling fan it works great.

Really just trial and error...

64 (edited by redbarret 2014-12-18 13:07:39)

How much A is your heated bed?

BTW, what happened when you fried your SSR? The heater just stopped working? or some damage was done to the mobo?

Solidoodle 4

65 (edited by IronMan 2014-12-18 13:50:45)

redbarret wrote:

How much A is your heated bed?

BTW, what happened when you fried your SSR? The heater just stopped working? or some damage was done to the mobo?

The bed draws 18-20A during warmup...then draws about 16A to keep temp.  Bear in mind my PCB is 10" x 10" big_smile

When the SSR failed, it just heated up so much that it fried the MOSFET within and melted the outer casing.  It also failed in the ON condition which would have been pretty serious if I had not been supervising.

Nothing happened to the Motherboard.

Thanks for the info. So I guess a SSR can have serious consequences on the motherboard, but it depends on each case?

BTW, this is off topic, but you have a Solidoodle 2 but a 10''x10'' heated bed? Any reason for that?

Solidoodle 4

My SD2 is stock with a glass bed; the 10" x 10" is my self-built Ord Bot Hadron...

The larger amperage should keep it cooler, not working at max lvl. Also the board will draw what it needs. 10 to 14 amps depending on the heat bed replacement you decide on getting. You want a solid state relay as you  do not want it getting stuck on as it could cause a fire.

Hey redbarret here's another http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Amp-Relay-Bo … 4d1ce63f9b

According to their page they ship world wide, same thing as the other, just different set up.

SD3/SD4 Mods completed: glass bed, changed zrod to 5mm, slop nut, aluminum arm-originally wood, plexi-glass case, Z Wobble Preventer,  Lawsy Carriages, X\Y motor fans, control board fans, extruder cartridge heater, MK5, Esd Lite
Mods working on:Direct Y Drive
Remember.......All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be....Pink Floyd...Dark Side of the Moon.

Yup! More info if you're interested:

* Higher amp rating = cooler running. Note that the full rating is specified assuming a pretty serious heatsink.
* As ironman can attest, failure can be fail-on, which is potentially a fire hazard, so it's worth investing in headroom. The SSR isolates the motherboard from the heatbed current, so a massive SSR failure will usually not damage the motherboard - this is an advantage of a relay in general.
* Mechanical relays also fail-on in high current applications (contacts spark, resistance goes up, heat generated increases, finally enough to weld), so really you don't lose anything by picking an SSR.
* The SSR can switch on and off quite quickly, and has a near infinite cycle life, so is compatible with PWM control of the bed (a mechanical relay will buzz and not last very long!!). Note that it may run hotter in PWM mode than bang-bang, as heat is generated in the transition as it switches. I'm not actually sure what kind of frequency the bed PWM runs at, I think it's quite low so you might not notice this...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

redbarret wrote:

jagowilson, where have you found PCB beds with 3 holes instead of 4?

BTW, can someone explain how connecting a silicone pad to the motherboard bed heater pins directly can damage the motherboard like the eBay seller said? I would only think of it not heating or not heating properly. Not that I'm going to get a silicone pad, but just curious.

It's not necessarily the silicon pad that damages, it's the fact that most (?) silicon pads are higher wattage than 'stock' bed heaters.  Since watts are volts multiplied by amps, for a fixed voltage (like with a 12V power supply) a higher wattage load (heater) will require (and 'take', or draw) more current.  The FET/TRansistor/Wiring/Etc on the controller board can only handle so much current.  Too much current asked from it will cause it to over-heat and something will burn out.

Kind of like when you see in comics someone plugging in too many things into one household outlet (with adapters, power strips, etc) all these things draw extra watts, or extra current, and when it adds up to more than the outlet can handle, things get hot, something melts, hand something shorts out....

- Steve

71 (edited by redbarret 2015-02-08 20:41:41)

So I have to come back to this thread again.
Many people here suggested me to go with PCB beds instead of larger heater pads.
But I recently looked up some ir images of heated bed comparisons, and MK2B heatbed shows 10-15C difference between the center of the bed compared to closer to the edges.
While an aluminum with appropriately sized heater mat below provides more uniform heating.

So I have a question to those who suggested me and anyone else who would suggest the PCB beds...
Do you guys print anything large? Where the edges of your model reach the edges of the print bed? Does that 10-15C deviation in temp cause warping for you guys?

My PCB bed hasn't shipped yet and I'm seriously considering not using them now and going with 8''x8'' silicone heater mat instead, if the temperature deviation would be an issue with warping, which is the sole reason I want to switch the stock 6''x6'' mat with a larger heater in the first place...

Solidoodle 4

Agreed that most PCB beds will have that heat variation to the edges...but if you run it at 110C for ABS, the variation at the edges is still fine for good adhesion...

If this is still a concern, then the silicone heat pad could be a better choice for you...

73 (edited by redbarret 2015-02-09 16:29:07)

It's not a concern as long as my prints don't warp.
So as long as middle of bed being 10C higher doesn't cause warping as long as the edges of the bed are still above a certain temp, then I don't have a problem.
If, however, warping will happen at any temp if there's a temperature variations on the bed, then yeah, that's an issue.

That's the reason I wanted to replace the stock heater as I mentioned in my first post.

redbarret wrote:

Okay, so I'm unable to get anything to stick closer to the edges of my bed. I've tried both kapton tape and glass+ hairspray. If glue sticks dont work either, Im going to conclude the heated bed of SD4 cant provide even distribution of heat and switch th a PCB bed.

What's the largest object you've printed so far IronMan?

Solidoodle 4

My bed is 10" x 10"...since I'm still using binder clips I avoid 1/2" along the edges.  Longest print span I ever did along one axis was about 8.5" with no lifting...except when I tried using the BuildTak surface!  IMHO it is not good for ABS!

Again, your call on the silicone pad.  For me, the PCB works, but if you want better consistency on the surface, then go for the silicone...at the end of the day, you need to be happy with your mods!!

75 (edited by redbarret 2015-02-09 19:39:40)

I just want some info on PCB beds from people who use it.
All I care is not getting warping on the edges. If I won't, then I don't care if the edge is same temp as the middle or different.
I already bought PCB beds and silicone bed isn't cheap. Not to mention i can't find any with 3 holes for a Solidoodle 8'' bed. Is there any?

8.5 for 10'' bed with no warping sounds good. What did you use? Glass and hairspray/glue stick?
What was the height and infill of the object? I've heard the denser and bigger the print, the more likely it is to warp.

I would like to hear pirvan's experience as well, he said the silicone mats were the ones not providing even heat distribution for him instead.

Solidoodle 4