1 (edited by wimismith 2014-11-18 03:03:38)

Topic: has anyone done a lithophane with the da vinci?

i'm wanting to make some lithophanes for my mother for Christmas, wanting to do some pictures of my nieces because I think she'd like that. im wondering if anyone has been able to do lithophanes with their da vinci printer?

Re: has anyone done a lithophane with the da vinci?

What software are you using to create them?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

A freeware program called bmp2iges-2d to 3d converter.

These are cool, I just played around with that software.  They definitely don't slice well in the stock XYZ software though.

5 (edited by Jacek 2014-11-18 22:02:17)

I tired doing that, but the result is a question of discussion...
I used  imprimindo3d software and it was free and pretty ok.
The slicing process however is a trouble... XYZ firmware does a really messy path, Cura works better, however it is still far from being perfect. I suggest that you use some translucent filament, or at least natural ABS. I tried with white and blue original XYZ filaments, and I really wans't satisfied. Let me know what you're up to:) I'm considering making a lithophanes Christmas post cards wink

Jacek wrote:

I tired doing that, but the result is a question of discussion...
I used  imprimindo3d software and it was free and pretty ok.
The slicing process however is a trouble... XYZ firmware does a really messy path, Cura works better, however it is still far from being perfect. I suggest that you use some translucent filament, or at least natural ABS. I tried with white and blue original XYZ filaments, and I really wans't satisfied. Let me know what you're up to:) I'm considering making a lithophanes Christmas post cards wink

I'm wanting to make a picture box that has my nieces pictures on it as a gift for my mother for Christmas, something I think she'd really like, ya'know? I played around in the program last night, but haven't put it into xyz yet, I've also got some of the 113d software, so maybe that'll slice better? If I can't get this to work, maybe I can get 123d catch to work and just print some statutes of my nieces out instead.

If you're having trouble with the file, don't forget to try running the STL through
cloud.netfabb.com

A lot of software has crummy STL generation that makes it hard for the slic3r to deal with...Though, if you're using repetier that should often be noticable now (it has somewhat recently had basic file problem detection.)

The one I created and sliced with stock XYZ software actually looked better before running it through netfabb.  I haven't printed one yet though.  I will try to pick up some natural filament and see how they print.

thingaverse has a custmizer for lithopanes just upload pic for stl even different shapes availible. takes long time to slice and print and must use thin layers solid infill for good results.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Here is my first attempt.  I used the generator on thingiverse to make this, then used stock XYZ software/firmware to slice.  Printed with XYZ white.  This is my 2 yr olds school picture from this year.  I thought it was a complete failure until I put it up to the light.  Doesn't look like much until backlit.  Didn't turn out too bad for a few minutes of work and a couple hours printing.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/scotthayka/3D%20Printing/20141118_232637_zpsd0ec48c9.jpg

That's pretty good, I'll have to check into the thingverse thing. I kept having a problem with the xyz ware freezing up when I tried to open the .stl files generated by that freeware program, although autodesks programs opened then just fine. I downloaded the demo for photo to mesh, and it seems to work alright, the xyz ware reads it, just have to try a test print tomorrow when I get home from work.

scotthay what is the thickness of the picture you made?

It generates it to about 2.2mm thick at the border

My settings for the customizer are as follows;   http://www.thingiverse.com/apps/customi … g_id=74322

Standard Photo
Vertical Orientation
Large Pane Size
Invert Colors (this is important, otherwise it looks like an x-ray when you print it)

Include Hole
Hole size 10
Layer Height .1
Number of layers 20

When I sliced it in XYZ I set it to;

Solid 90%
Normal Shells
.1 Layer height
Standard Speed

I am not convinced that invert colors does anything, I tried to get a decent print of a pic of my daughter and it keeps looking like an x-ray no matter the setting, I think the background might be too dark, it is making the background thick and my daughters image thin for some reason.

invert colors makes it a negative so when back lit the darks are dark and lights are liaght. the Thingaverse one should print 3mm thick using 30.1mm layers for best results

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

lithopanes are all about contrast and grey scale. so the sharper the image the better quality lithopane will have

It won't let me choose more than 20 layers at .1 

Unless there is more than one litho generator on thingiverse?