26 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-23 18:46:59)

Re: Y Stepper Belt Slop

I will print the printed parts as soon as my roll of filament dries. It has absorbed a lot of moisture after I had left the window open apparently as I get lots of blobbing in the first layer and it unsticks from the bed from the nozzle hitting the blobby mess...
Just need to find a decent spring then, already found the proper size bearing.
BTW, how do you prefer to screw it to the motor yourself? use shorter screws for screwing the motor to the frame to make room for screws for the other side where this mod will go?

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

And I understand where the screw has to go in your STL. But I just see a hole in the stl, there's no hole on the other side for the screw to come out and tighten it down with a nut, or a hexagonal hole to put a nut in.

The hole for the bearing retention is slightly undersized, and you can simply screw the 3mm screw in and it will thread itself directly into the plastic.  Now nuts needed.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

28 (edited by pirvan 2014-11-23 23:15:03)

redbarret wrote:

I will print the printed parts as soon as my roll of filament dries. It has absorbed a lot of moisture after I had left the window open apparently as I get lots of blobbing in the first layer and it unsticks from the bed from the nozzle hitting the blobby mess...
Just need to find a decent spring then, already found the proper size bearing.
BTW, how do you prefer to screw it to the motor yourself? use shorter screws for screwing the motor to the frame to make room for screws for the other side where this mod will go?

I used some 3mm socket head screws I have in my spare parts.

The one where the arm pivots, is about 18mm long, the one at the other end is 12mm long, and the one that holds the bearing is 8mm long. 

I think that if your motor is the same as mine, the front holes should allow for a 5-6mm depth, before it hits the opposing screw.

I wouldn't replace the opposing screws with shorter ones, I would simply add a washer or two to the screws you're going to use, if you find them to be just a tad too long.  Or cut them to length with a Dremel tool.

Solidoodle needs to take note of this if they intend to continue making the SD4.

but hey they havnt taken notes of anything this forum has proven needs done for several years yet so .....sigh! guess SD falls into the "cant fix stupid" category.

great perseverance solving this issue dude! kudos!

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

with details like this being fine tuned, I think using Bowden setups on SD printers they can be run with same fine print results at 2x-3x normal speeds making it possible to print as many more objects in same amount of time. this is getting exiting being on the 'front line' of the 3D printing revolution.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

31 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-24 15:23:49)

This is a very promising mod, so I hope I'm doing something wrong as I don't get any improvement when  trying this myself. I printed the STLs, got the appropriate bearing, screw it in, screwed the printed parts to the motor and  tried few different springs.

http://i.imgur.com/gpJ1224.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pD53AJy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eb6Kehe.jpg

Result without this mod: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5X-w … 1600/2.jpg

I've also recorded a video of how it works.

One things I noticed was I had to flip the pulley on the y motor so the bearing would align perfectly with the belt.

Solidoodle 4

Hmmm... OK, so there's no improvement on yours. 

As far as your tensioner build is concerned, it looks perfectly fine.  It obviously puts in some tension, as you can see from the belt deflection.  You didn't tighten the nut on the bearing arm, right?  It's supposed to be loose enough to allow the arm to pivot freely and take up the slack as needed.

I was also looking at the video, and it looks like you have some kind of pillow bushing just to the right .  Is that a factory install, or is that a mod you made?  My SD3 didn't have this when I bought it.

Anyway, the reason I ask, is because the original intent of the pillow block was to prevent bending in the middle, due to the long unsupported span.  I have a double bearing pillow block pretty much half way between the right side sprocket and the motor drive sprocket.

I'm wondering if you might have some kind of bending occurring in the middle of the rod that may account for your deviation.

Anyway, just a few things to check.

I dont see the flat spots on your pic b4 mod? maybe yours was ok already?

pirvan wrote:

You didn't tighten the nut on the bearing arm, right?

No, just enough to prevent it from sliding off.

I was also looking at the video, and it looks like you have some kind of pillow bushing just to the right.

Yes, it's a stock bushing most Solidoodle 4's come with.

I have a double bearing pillow block pretty much half way between the right side sprocket and the motor drive sprocket.

Maybe it's the combination of the two bearings in the middle + this mod that made it work for you?
Could you maybe take the bushings off and check if everything is okay without it too, please?
If this mod will end up not working by itself without the bushings for you, I'll go ahead and order few flanged bushings online.

Solidoodle 4

redbarret wrote:

Maybe it's the combination of the two bearings in the middle + this mod that made it work for you?

It could very well be.  My original circles were a lot worse than yours.  At small sizes, they weren't even circles.

redbarret wrote:

Could you maybe take the bushings off and check if everything is okay without it too, please?
If this mod will end up not working by itself without the bushings for you, I'll go ahead and order few flanged bushings online.

Er... that's not gonna happen.  If you want to test the effect of the tensioning mod without a pillow block, you can try that on your own printer.

Strengthening of the drive rod through proper pillow bearings (not bushings) is definitely an important part of the system that shouldn't be overlooked, in my opinion. The stock bushing-based bearing doesn't really do a lot of strengthening considering the tolerances between the rod and bushing, I don't think.

So pirvan, what awesome circular things are you going to do with your printer now? wink

37 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-25 01:18:05)

pirvan wrote:

Er... that's not gonna happen.  If you want to test the effect of the tensioning mod without a pillow block, you can try that on your own printer.

That's not what I want to test. I wanted to know if the bearings had any positive effect on the circles and how much they contributed to your solution vs this mod (because this mod by itself doesn't seem to help me at all) before I would buy and wait for my own flanged bearings to ship.
The stock SD4 pillow is easy to remove. I guess the custom one you are using isn't. Sorry then, I didn't know.

Well then, can you please post a straight top-down photo of a circle you have printed after this mod? The photos are at a bit of an angle and hard to tell for me.

I'm glad at least one of us Solidoodle 4 owners has reached a point where hes satisfied with the quality of the prints. Even if the rest of us don't know exactly what the solution is. Will just order stuff online and add one upgrade after the other I guess.

Solidoodle 4

jagowilson wrote:

So pirvan, what awesome circular things are you going to do with your printer now? wink

I've been planning on printing a few models that go together in pieces via ball joints  Like this guys here:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=6854

before this I usually didn't attempt to print anything that had circles, meshing gears or ball joints.  Now I can. wink

Post's attachments

bionic robo.jpg
bionic robo.jpg 142.48 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

39 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-25 09:01:54)

Wait, I feel an idiot now for missing this. So you have a Solidoodle 3?
Jagowilson, I guess our problem is not Solidoodle 4 exclusive then.

However, it could still be an issue with newer batches of Solidoodle 3 and SD4, like swtiching to different quality parts on the printer.
Otherwise wardjr either got lucky with his specific Solidoodle 3 for not suffering from this problem or his SD3 still has some things privan's was missing to print fine without any mod.

Anyway, I'm really excited someone was able to fix the problem finally.
Though I'll be annoying and again ask for top-down photo of a circle print after you installed this mod. The last one you shoot was very close just a bit front view rather than top view.

BTW, have you also repaced the side bushings with flanged bearing as well, or only that pillow in the middle of the rod (Thingiverse link?)

Solidoodle 4

40 (edited by pirvan 2014-11-25 15:24:21)

redbarret wrote:

Though I'll be annoying and again ask for top-down photo of a circle print after you installed this mod. The last one you shoot was very close just a bit front view rather than top view.

Yes, this is getting annoying. 

I did the test, posted a photo, as close as I could get to it, but that's it.  If that's not good enough for you, sorry.  It's good enough for me.  I see no reason to do it again, and I'm certainly not taking the glass off and putting it on a scanner.

41 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-25 16:32:04)

It was a joke, I don't think I'm annoying for asking this basic thing which many others have done already. There's no need for the rudeness. I'm just asking for a photo because the one you made was at an angle and that adds perspective to the circles. It doesn't matter if the photo was good enough for you, I'm the one asking you for help.
It takes 40 seconds to print and 4 cm of filament. I'd certainly do if others who still suffer from this problem thought it could help them. But then again I'd also spend my time to remove any other mod to see which one(s) were necessary for solving the issue so others wouldn't spend time and money buying bearings and printing pillow blocks and printing this mod without knowing if they all are necessary (in fact, I'm talking with others with this issue in the forums, pm and via email now). I guess we think differently.

Thanks for sharing the STLs.

redbarret wrote:

BTW, have you also repaced the side bushings with flanged bearing as well, or only that pillow in the middle of the rod (Thingiverse link?)

Solidoodle 4

I'll leave it to the other users to decide who the rude one is here.

43 (edited by Claghorn 2014-11-27 18:25:21)

I was taking everything apart to finish my fishing line conversion and install a better bearing support on the Y rod, so I printed up one of these gadgets to try out while I was at it. Here's a comparison (the circle on the left is after adding the spring and bearing to enable the gadget):

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/solidoodle/ytension/compare1.jpg

More details here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … nsion.html

I gotta make a slightly longer spring now and see if it gets even better with more force, but it is definitely headed in the right direction (actually didn't seem to make much difference with a more powerful spring).

Now I'm wondering if a bearing on both sides would work even better? I'm imagining something like a scissors arrangement with a bearing on both sides of the belt (if there is room) and a tension spring or bungee at the bottom to try and close the scissors on the belt.

44 (edited by pirvan 2014-11-27 17:07:21)

@ Claghorn: Your links are not working.

I did a bit of back tracing and found the actual web page.  The linksyou posted are of your internal LAN, not the external (WAN) address. 

Here is the link to the actual project page:

https://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/ha … nsion.html

You might also want to fix the link to the image.

https://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware//solidoodle/ytension/compare1.jpg

pirvan wrote:

@ Claghorn: Your links are not working.

Thanks! I fixed 'em now. That's the trouble with having my local copy, everything works when I check it from here :-).

redbarret wrote:

This is a very promising mod, so I hope I'm doing something wrong as I don't get any improvement when  trying this myself. I printed the STLs, got the appropriate bearing, screw it in, screwed the printed parts to the motor and  tried few different springs.

http://i.imgur.com/gpJ1224.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pD53AJy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eb6Kehe.jpg

Result without this mod: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5X-w … 1600/2.jpg

I've also recorded a video of how it works.

One things I noticed was I had to flip the pulley on the y motor so the bearing would align perfectly with the belt.

one thing I see in your video, not seen in others machines is the huge adjusting knob for 'Z' stop. is it touching either shaft/rod for 'Z' or 'Y'? that may be a point to watch as any slight friction on them can cause deflection as they are easy to turn/move.

47 (edited by pirvan 2014-11-30 00:45:55)

Here is what I see that is "different". When the belt is on a down stroke (moving counter-clockwise), it pushes the pressure bearing out, when it's on the up stroke it relaxes more, and the bearing pushes the belt in more.

That tells me the belt has more authority over the bearing, and It should be the other way around.

That means the spring is not strong enough.

On my printer, the bearing seems to have the same pressure in both direction.

48 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-30 06:21:00)

pirvan wrote:

Here is what I see that is "different". When the belt is on a down stroke (moving counter-clockwise), it pushes the pressure bearing out, when it's on the up stroke it relaxes more, and the bearing pushes the belt in more.

That tells me the belt has more authority over the bearing, and It should be the other way around.

Thanks for that info.
I did have a problem of step skipping with the next stronger spring I had in hand.
Maybe I should try this mod again when I get bearings for the back rod like you have to decrease the pressure on the Y motor a little.

I think this mod is better than moving the Y motor down instead, since because it creates more surface for the belt on the pulley, you probably need less tension to achieve the same result. I think this is jagowilson's theory also if I understood him correctly.

Solidoodle 4

pirvan wrote:

That means the spring is not strong enough.

I'd second this was worth chasing up: if the tensioner is moving, it means the relative length of the belt on each side is changing, which means the relative angle of the two pulleys is changing with direction... Which comes out as backlash. Ideally the belt doesn't change shape with direction, the aim of this tensioner is to squish it in enough that it doesn't?

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi