Topic: Some Matter and Form scan results

Just in case anyone is interested, I decided to try to scan and print a rock and see how close the result was to the original. Not too bad:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … -rock.html

I do wonder what is the cause of the extra distinct layers that started appearing near the top of the print of the result, but that probably has nothing to do with the scanner.

Re: Some Matter and Form scan results

I'd be interested in your impressions of the Matter and Form scanner.  I've been pondering buying one, but want to see its output.

I'm mostly interested in scanning some old Christmas ornaments and decorations (figures and such) that are no longer made, so I can print them on my SD4.

Thanks!

The one thing they don't mention much till you dive into the detailed help pages is that shiny things don't scan worth beans. You have to dust shiny stuff with baby powder to make it less shiny, and if you are trying to scan something mechanical or electronic you want to make a case for, you might be kind of reluctant to get baby power all over it :-).

If you look at the pictures in the web page above, you can see that really fine detail disappears, so it is much better at scanning moderately sized things. Something tiny like green plastic army men would probably be hopeless, bigger things maybe golf ball size and up would work better.

But it definitely works for a lot of things. For instance http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:447026 was built using a scan of the keyfob to subtract off the inside of the sheath so it fits really well. My top level matterform web page has more babbling:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/har … rform.html

I have  matterform scanner too.  I was  beta tester. Here is  an example scan.

Post's attachments

ducks.jpg
ducks.jpg 1.12 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

rocks can have luminescent particles in them giving laser false depth readings

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Thanks guys; lots of good info!

I'm not sure scanning in Christmas ornaments (that may include some shiny areas) is a realistic possibility.  Too bad, because I have a little brass angel that I'd like to duplicate.

The duck seemed to turn out okay.  I'd like to see Claghorn's final results with that elephant!

use baby powder on shinny model before the scan..

for lasers black matte/flat surfaces work best so try finding a black fine powder like soot. in HVAC service we stuck black electrical tape on duct vents to get best readings with laser temp tools. but at least a dull surface and for scanning sometimes a line pattern is needed for depth/distance detection.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Just bought one of these but I have to say, I'm a bit didsapointed with it.
Some objects which don't have too much detail scan quite well but on the whole, I can't get many useable meshes from it.
I've tried the trial version of David Laserscanner with structured light and the results are miles better.
Anyone got any tips for getting good results with the Matter and Form before I give up on it and switch to SLS ?

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

I don't know how the Matter & Form scanner works, and whether or not it attempts to do everything automatically, but you can take a look at our Atlas 3D scanner section and check out how we do it. 

Who knows, maybe some of the techniques used there might help you with your scans

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

I don't know how the Matter & Form scanner works, and whether or not it attempts to do everything automatically, but you can take a look at our Atlas 3D scanner section and check out how we do it. 

Who knows, maybe some of the techniques used there might help you with your scans

I keep thinking about trying to decrypt the protocol M&F uses to control the camera and lasers and wot-not and trying to port the atlas software to see if it works better (and to be able to run in on linux - something M&F originally promised, then gave up on :-).

I don't think the atlas stuff has a camera up/down control though, the M&F scanner has the camera on a vertical screw so it can raise and lower it.

Well, I still haven't managed anything useable other than a couple of really basic models will little detail. Even they weren't great so the M&F is going back.
They haven't quite got there with laser scanning yet imo, not at an affordable level anyway.
So I'm going back to structured light. It's just so much faster and the results are in another league.
I now need to decide on whether to buy the David software or go for the fully automatic Afinia ES360 kit.

13 (edited by knowack 2016-04-08 01:34:46)

I borrowed a friend's Matter&Form scanner for a while, and got pretty good results.  I ended up scanning a lot of heirloom items from our china hutch that belonged to my grandmother.  Proper calibration is essential, and good lighting is important.

The accompanying software suite was pretty good, and constantly updated and improved.  Initially, the 'combine' feature (which blends multiple scans of the same objects) didn't work well, but finally produced good results in later versions.

I was considering buying a M&F of my own, but ended up supporting the Atlas3D instead.  I hope to finally get around to assembling the Atlas3D this week.  The portability of the M&F is certainly appealing.

If you post some photos, I'll try to help.

14 (edited by scobo 2016-04-02 14:51:54)

Thanks but it's boxed up ready to go back to Amazon.
I just can't justify keeping it at that price. I can have a structured light setup for less.
Must say I'm surprised at the limited number of affordable 3d scanners on the market just now considering the popularity of 3d printing. You'd think the one would follow the other.

15 (edited by scobo 2016-04-07 18:11:56)

Just to update incase anyone's interested, I returned the M&F scanner for a refund and bought an Afinia ES360 (same as the Einscan-S).
It's a structured light scanner which uses a projector and 2 cameras mounted in one unit.
It has a turntable for auto scanning but can also be used in "free scan mode" for larger objects.
I've only tried it for an hour or so this morning but I have to say, the results are fantastic !!
A full scan and meshing done in 3 minutes with superb detail/quality.
Even better than David Laserscanner, IMHO.

16 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-15 16:36:07)

Hey I just recently got my hands on a used matter and form scanner on ebay ($150). It would not power up, but that has been fixed. It did not come with a calibration box or panel. can somebody give me the dimensions of the box or panel and the size of one of the blocks of the pattern so I can make one for mine?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

17 (edited by scobo 2016-05-15 17:01:25)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Hey I just recently got my hands on a used matter and form scanner on ebay ($150). It would not power up, but that has been fixed. It did not come with a calibration box or panel. can somebody give me the dimensions of the box or panel and the size of one of the blocks of the pattern so I can make one for mine?

Maybe try contacting Matter & Form customer support, they seem quite helpful ...... http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?t … nner.4707/

Also .....

https://matterandform.desk.com/customer … ease-help-

That afina system is over a grand, the mf system is $500 or less if you shop wisely. I don't think its fair to compare those two. Of course you should get much better results for another  $500. If you are digitizing things for an archive then you might want the most detail you can get. But if you are capturing for FDM printing then are you going to be able to even print the detail you are looking for in a scan? Demos that I have seen from the mf are more than enough for FDM printing. Now SLA printing you might want to move up to the $1000 range,  but since I blew all my money on the Form 1+ I will cut corners on the scanner and just make it work.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

19 (edited by scobo 2016-05-16 06:41:52)

I wish you the best of luck with the M&F Carl, but unless you're just scanning really simple items with very little detail, I suspect you might be dissapointed.
Of course, the demos always show it at it's best and they use objects that are ideal for scanning.
I'm just saying my experience with it was poor and below what I had expected. This applies to the other laser scanners I've tried too.
Bare in mind, you can go the structured light route for about the same price as the M&F if you buy the David laserscanner software plus a cheap webcam and projector.
I tried it with a trial version of David and the results were fantastic, way better than laser scanning and miles faster.
In the end, I chose the Afinia for the ease of use and to save time on post-scan work but you do pay a premium for this.