1 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-11-13 22:22:31)

Topic: Top Layer Finish

I am using Repetier Firmware and Host with my Da Vinci and have been getting reasonable results down to .05 layer heights. But regardless of layer height I get a top layer finish that looks smudged. It looks like the head made an extra pass over each line without extruding. The layer is semi flat with some roughness but it just looks ugly. I want the finish to just show the perimeter line and the infill lines. Not all smudged and looking like icing on a cake. Is there a setting I am missing in the EEPROM or the Host? Can I get the top layer to look like any other layer with a perimeter and 100% infill only? Or is this just the nature of this printer? Disregard the holes as I am still working out infill speed for .05 layer height.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/solarenemy/Mobile%20Uploads/20141113_160630.jpg

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Top Layer Finish

I use like 7 solid top and bottom layers

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

I use like 7 solid top and bottom layers

Thanks I'll give it a try..

4 (edited by wardjr 2014-11-16 00:49:34)

Slic3r there is a check box "avoid crossing perimeters" also z-lift.
Regardless of what printer/software combination you use. The fix for a poor top layer is rarely "print like 7 top layers".  Even a single top layer if properly supported should print smooth like any other layer.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

Slic3r there is a check box "avoid crossing perimeters" also z-offset.
Regardless of what printer/software combination you use. The fix for a poor top layer is rarely "print like 7 top layers".  Even a single top layer if properly supported should print smooth like any other layer.

Z offset will affect your final top layer? I though the offset just told it where to start. I will have to look and see if that box is checked or not. I wish i could get Cura to work on this machine but it never wants to connect even though Repetier host works fine.

6 (edited by wardjr 2014-11-16 00:49:58)

Sorry I mean Z-lift not offset. Post edited

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

7 (edited by n2ri 2014-12-22 03:55:34)

wardjr wrote:

Slic3r there is a check box "avoid crossing perimeters" also z-lift.

I would like to see a macro photo of this print done in the scale its in using those settings you keep saying will do fine for any print.

we dont live in a perfect world so I dont think all that holds true for every ones 3D printer needs.

its only N scale so shouldnt take 15mins with those settings just dont think its gonna be nice enough to sell.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I don't even need more than 2-3 layers for a hollow cube to have a nice top finish and I don't even have a filament cooling fan so my bridging is obviously not superb.

yep thats flat top, try curved top

Curved top would be even easier as it's no longer bridging.  That's overhang and can be improved with additional perimeters and a G-code controlled nozzle fan.

not talking 45 degree arch top. just slight curve like car roof or hood. thats why I posted an STL to try that idea on. to show why thinner, multi layers both top/bottom and sides make this transition look much better without looking like steps with gaps. I have been doing it this way for a year due to learning that on these tiny vehicles with details.some even have the little rearview mirrors printed. stop saying "it should" slice the file above using those settings that "should work fine" and see the results in a few minutes. its a challenge put your printer where your mouth is so to speak. I have tried tons of ways but what you suggest wont give results needed for many tiny prints. and it is bridging just have to use support as Slic3r dont see it as a bridge at that small of size. so unless you have a gcode operated part cooling fan. support is required

12 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-17 08:42:07)

this topic is about holes in flat tops I know but every time I say anything about settings I use for my printing and why. Wardjr always says the same line. like I dont know what Im talking about but he does yet havnt seen pics of it yet. Im an ol 'show me' boy. and I have done lots these prints and tossed many due to not using the settings I do. also sometimes support messes up part way into a print and has spots without support by the time top goes on, either due to support settings, print shapes or just odd errors during print.

n2ri wrote:

this topic is about holes in flat tops I know but every time I say anything about settings I use for my printing and why. Wardjr always says the same line. like I dont know what Im talking about but he does yet havnt seen pics of it yet. Im an ol 'show me' boy. and I have done lots these prints and tossed many due to not using the settings I do. also sometimes support messes up part way into a print and has spots without support by the time top goes on, either due to support settings, print shapes or just odd errors during print.

This topic IS NOT about holes. I even specifically said ignore the holes. What this topis is about is the finish not being smooth and looking like icing on a cake spread with a hot knife. It looks almost to me like the extruder is making two passes over a line to lay it then melt it and smudge it all up. It does not do this laying bottom layers it it makes one pass then moves to the next line they look uniform and lay side by side and are visible.

Top layers however look like somebody dry to cover the lines with a bad plaster job.  It looks to me maybe the flow rate is wrong or the multiplier is wrong and too much filament is coming out on the top layer. But then I would think it would be evident as ooze on the sides and corners as well and as you can see the sides and corners look great. Well the on side you can kind of see.

So what setting controls this if there is one  because Cura on my old 3Dstuffmaker did not make a finish like this. It was smooth and you could still see the lines fairly well. Cura uses a variation of Slic3r so I should get similar results. My 3DS used true Marlin firmware and I wonder if that may be where the issue lies. I am using Repetier right now. I would use Cura now but since installing Repetier host it does not want to connect. If anyone has managed to do that, let me know the secret.

14 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-17 15:15:10)

So there are a few things you can do. First, re-do your calibrations since you mentioned they are suspect. If you're over-extruding, you'll see your bed shake from the nozzle clobbing into already-laid filament, although this certainly isn't a guarantee. It's good to check and re-calibrate this every so often with a cube.

Second, print in layer heights that are a multiple of your Z-rod thread size--search the forums for "2963," there is a ton of information. I don't know what kind of Z rod is on the Da Vinci. This should prevent your nozzle from dragging along the top because your Z rod will not be trying to make movements not possible due to the thread depth. On Solidoodles, they use an SAE 5/16 inch - 18 rod, and 0.2963 mm comes from that--it's the closest to 0.3mm.

Third, try using the Z-lift settings in slic3r only if the above two things don't help. Z-lift will likely stop this entirely, but it's slowwww. Just depends on if that's worth it to you or not.

Fourth, I'd recommend upgrading the hotend to an e3d. No matter what, the stock hotend on my solidoodle always created rough finishes. I haven't had a rough finish with the e3d yet, no matter how crappy my settings are. You can't expect great results without a great hotend, so keep that in mind.

I hope this is helpful.

n2ri wrote:

I don't want to prevent the OP from getting help because of this nonsense but all of the things you describe are symptoms of a poorly calibrated machine. You might want to consider that you actually have no idea what you're talking about. Please do not speak with such authority, it is detrimental to those who want good results from their machines. "Random errors" are not something you should accept from your printer, if your time is valuable. I debated just ignoring you, but I want the OP to know that your advice is greatly misleading.

by random errors I mean things beyond anyones control like power failuers, something bumping printer or getting in the way of filament somehow etc

16 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-11-17 19:11:49)

jagowilson wrote:

So there are a few things you can do. First, re-do your calibrations since you mentioned they are suspect. If you're over-extruding, you'll see your bed shake from the nozzle clobbing into already-laid filament, although this certainly isn't a guarantee. It's good to check and re-calibrate this every so often with a cube.

Second, print in layer heights that are a multiple of your Z-rod thread size--search the forums for "2963," there is a ton of information. I don't know what kind of Z rod is on the Da Vinci. This should prevent your nozzle from dragging along the top because your Z rod will not be trying to make movements not possible due to the thread depth. On Solidoodles, they use an SAE 5/16 inch - 18 rod, and 0.2963 mm comes from that--it's the closest to 0.3mm.

Third, try using the Z-lift settings in slic3r only if the above two things don't help. Z-lift will likely stop this entirely, but it's slowwww. Just depends on if that's worth it to you or not.

Fourth, I'd recommend upgrading the hotend to an e3d. No matter what, the stock hotend on my solidoodle always created rough finishes. I haven't had a rough finish with the e3d yet, no matter how crappy my settings are. You can't expect great results without a great hotend, so keep that in mind.

I hope this is helpful.

n2ri wrote:

I don't want to prevent the OP from getting help because of this nonsense but all of the things you describe are symptoms of a poorly calibrated machine. You might want to consider that you actually have no idea what you're talking about. Please do not speak with such authority, it is detrimental to those who want good results from their machines. "Random errors" are not something you should accept from your printer, if your time is valuable. I debated just ignoring you, but I want the OP to know that your advice is greatly misleading.

Thanks Jago, but I have been printing for 5 years now on other machines. I started on a Cupcake and then went to a 3Dstuffmaker, and now on a Da Vinci. I know my in and outs and when advice is reasonable or not. It would seem n2ri did not even read my opening post since they assumed only by the pic the issue was holes so i was just blowing their advice off.

I have printed this same cube hundreds of times and know what it should look like. My issue as said is the texture of this finish. What is the source and is it normal. I am used to a smooth finish where you can almost see the lines . Not this smudged remelted look. I'll checkout your suggestions and see if the help. I would really like to get this machine to connect to Cura but for some reason it will connect then promptly disconnect. If I watch the serial monitor this firmware constantly sends waiting every half second or so and I think this is throwing Cura off.

17 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-17 19:11:43)

Well I gave you advice on where I think the troubles could be. Beyond all of that the hotend is probably just low quality and can't meet your expectations.

What's your extrusion width and nozzle diameter?

carl_m1968 wrote:

I am using Repetier Firmware and Host with my Da Vinci and have been getting reasonable results down to .05 layer heights. But regardless of layer height I get a top layer finish that looks smudged. It looks like the head made an extra pass over each line without extruding. The layer is semi flat with some roughness but it just looks ugly. I want the finish to just show the perimeter line and the infill lines. Not all smudged and looking like icing on a cake. Is there a setting I am missing in the EEPROM or the Host? Can I get the top layer to look like any other layer with a perimeter and 100% infill only? Or is this just the nature of this printer? Disregard the holes as I am still working out infill speed for .05 layer height.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/solarenemy/Mobile%20Uploads/20141113_160630.jpg

So I want to get back to the OP's original concerns.
First what are the outer dimensions of that cube (just to put it into context)?
I see some backlash and some over extrusion so check for any wobble at your hot end.
You could also be looking at a retraction speed/length setting issues which could be compounded if your hot end can move especially at that layer height.

Just for fun because I had 15 minutes to spare wink (This includes downloading and fixing the file, slicing and printing)
This was done with a .60 nozzle at 80mm/s and I have no intentions of switching to a smaller nozzle.  That means I understand there are no mirrors as that would just be asking for to much from Slic3r and I wasn't going to make a special profile just for this.  The point to the OP is as long as the extrusion is set properly you will get smooth top layers.  That assumes you are using good filament which I can assure you my over a year old glow in the dark blue is not.  I have been trying to use this stuff up even though it is saturated with moisture and causes some blobs.

http://i.imgur.com/5uPSEcn.jpg

To the naked eye the tops are smooth and all lines are exactly as the g-code shows.  Of course my hot end is very secure with no movement and I have little to no backlash in the rest of my setup.  For this print I could have taken some more time to dial in my extrusion multiplier to achieve better results.
http://i.imgur.com/V6VAjaV.jpg

All of this being said could I sell something like this?  I doubt it as I see no value beyond it's cost to produce. 
For those of you that enjoy pushing the limits of "small"  I give you credit for your efforts and would pose this question.
Why wouldn't you print something this small at 100% infill?

20 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-17 20:30:30)

I also print 100% infill but some have open interiors or window frames and have to bridge roofs, hoods, trunk lids etc.
not bad for those settings though, least its not failed print which I have had plenty of during tweaking settings lol.
and I sell items like this for about $8 unpainted/finished just support cleaned up. more detailed and slightly larger like trucks etc bring $20-$30 so close to $10 per hour of print time. not gonna get rich but beats selling widgets that use more time and material on ebay for less money. plus its just supplement for fixed income to use for my hobby while browsing the web. plus I use many on my train layout

as to calibrating extrusion. I have printed perfect test cubes with my old SD2 and its .35mm nozzle with all 4 walls being within+/- .01mm of or exactly .42mm and zero abnormalities I mean glass smooth all around and perfect square corners plus near transparent in natural color ABS from SD.  yet some prints get gaps between perimeters or thin lines at times in support, bridges, top layers if anything over .2mm is used.  that I can only assume are due to the old extruder temp range fluctuating during printing even at max speeds of only 60mm possibly causing stretching of extruded filament or something. I dont want to increase flow rates as I'm sure that would make my fine detailed prints ooze or worse. hoping upgrade to E3D will cure this.

4 pics of same test cube

Post's attachments

testcube01.JPG
testcube01.JPG 2.32 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

testcube02.JPG
testcube02.JPG 2.35 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

testcube03.JPG
testcube03.JPG 2.32 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

testcube04.JPG
testcube04.JPG 2.32 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

23 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-11-17 23:43:03)

jagowilson wrote:

Well I gave you advice on where I think the troubles could be. Beyond all of that the hotend is probably just low quality and can't meet your expectations.

What's your extrusion width and nozzle diameter?

It is the stock full head that the Da Vinci come with. The nozzle is 0.4 and I print at .3, .2, .1, and .05. This cube was done at .2 and is a standard 20mm calibration cube. My printed dims. Are 20.1, 20.03, and 19.98. They are close enough for what I print. I will tweak the esteps one day to get it closer. But for now it is fine.

I have an E3d hot end, but I dont like them as they are near impossible  to change the nozzle on and yhen have it not leak. Cant change it when it is cold and it is hard to hold the heat block in place while trying  to remove the nozzle and not have the feed tube turn as well. Unless the nozzle base snugs against the feedtube inside the heat block it will leak around the feedtube then run over the side of the heat block onto your print.

24 (edited by jagowilson 2014-11-17 23:52:53)

I don't think you put it together properly. Might want to read the instructions. wink there is a specific procedure and you skipped the step of tightening it down another quarter turn after putting on the heater block.

Fyi you can release the feed tube. This is also in the instructions.

I change nozzles routinely and have never had that problem.