Topic: Extruder Temperature sensor issues

I recently acquired a Davinci 1.0 and I've been running into Error code 0011 while trying to load filament for the first time. I'm not certain if it's the connection to the heating element or a bad temperature sensor. It heats but doesn't measure a stable temp once it climbs above around 115, jumping from the 140 to 160 range down into the 50s and 60s and the back up into the 120s. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this sort of issue or might have an idea of where I should start looking to fix it.

Re: Extruder Temperature sensor issues

Now, does it climb to 150, then slowly decrease to 50's and 60's, or does it show 140-160, and one second later show 50?  I ask because, according to what I found online, there is a known issue with a connector that connects the ceramic heating element to the mainboard.  If it slolwy increases and decreases, I would suggest that may be the issue.  Check out this post of mine http://www.soliforum.com/post/71283/#p71283 . If its changing from one second to the next, there has to be a problem elsewhere.

Mecha_Pants wrote:

I recently acquired a Davinci 1.0 and I've been running into Error code 0011 while trying to load filament for the first time. I'm not certain if it's the connection to the heating element or a bad temperature sensor. It heats but doesn't measure a stable temp once it climbs above around 115, jumping from the 140 to 160 range down into the 50s and 60s and the back up into the 120s. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this sort of issue or might have an idea of where I should start looking to fix it.

3 (edited by Mecha_Pants 2014-11-11 00:23:43)

Thanks for the reply, I have read about the bad connection. In my printer's case, it jumps straight down from 150 to 60 from one reading to the next, then hovers within a few degrees of that for a moment, and then jumps back up.

Edit: Upon further disassembly of the nozzle, my Thermistor has one lead with a badly frayed jacket, and about 1/4 of the glass bulb shattered off. I think this is the source of my woes. Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

I have a picture of the offending part, but haven't cleared the image posting gate as of yet.

You can always post the image in picpaste, then link it here.
In any event, depending on the age of the printer, returning to place of purchase may be an option.  Other then that, I don't really know.  But would like to here some ideas in the event mine goes one day.

Mecha_Pants wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I have read about the bad connection. In my printer's case, it jumps straight down from 150 to 60 from one reading to the next, then hovers within a few degrees of that for a moment, and then jumps back up.

Edit: Upon further disassembly of the nozzle, my Thermistor has one lead with a badly frayed jacket, and about 1/4 of the glass bulb shattered off. I think this is the source of my woes. Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

I have a picture of the offending part, but haven't cleared the image posting gate as of yet.

5 (edited by Mecha_Pants 2014-11-11 02:34:02)

This one was purchased from an amazon returns liquidator in as-is condition, so returns aren't really an option. That said, I don't have normal retail price in it yet, so buying repair parts or modding it to get it to work is still an option for me.

I was going to use my dropbox for the picture, but can't do links yet either.

Unfortunately without seeing it, I can't recommend anything.  I am not familiar with the thermal resistor.  Mind if I ask what you ended up paying for it?

Mecha_Pants wrote:

This one was purchased from an amazon returns liquidator in as-is condition, so returns aren't really an option. That said, I don't have normal retail price in it yet, so buying repair parts or modding it to get it to work is still an option for me.

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-11-13 01:39:44)

Mecha_Pants wrote:

From what I have seen on my machine all the parts except those custom metal and plastic are standard run of the mil printer parts. With exception to the mainboard as well.

The heater on the extruder is a standard 12volt heater cartridge. The thermistor is the standard 100k thermistor that all or most printers use. You can get them all over ebay, just need Teflon tubing over the leads unless you can find on with it already. If it came out of the heater block cleanly then you just need to get a new one make sure the leads are insulated and slide it back into the existing hole. To secure it I would use just a dab of high temp RTV. That way you can remove it if needed or be creative. Just remember that part can reach over 250C. So use a method that is forgiving but can withstand the heat.

You can even get lucky sometimes and fine them prewired and ready to slip right in and connect. Of course the connector may not match ours but you can splice the wires.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

8 (edited by Mecha_Pants 2014-11-12 02:39:28)

ShadowWizard wrote:

Unfortunately without seeing it, I can't recommend anything.  I am not familiar with the thermal resistor.  Mind if I ask what you ended up paying for it?

I have about $180 in the whole printer at the moment.

I'll try to update with pictures as soon as I notice that the forum will let me.

The conclusion that I've come to, is that someone bought this one exclusively for its print head, and sent their old head back with it. I spent a fair little while cleaning disassembling the nozzle and feed tube, and found that it was blocked with burnt up, ashen, filament. I drilled that out with a push drill.

I may just look into doing a conversion to a better head unit entirely, if my 8$ worth or replacement thermistors doesn't work out.

Would you mind PM the web address of that reseller? I'd like to pick up a second or third one for kids Christmas presents (after repairs, of course).

10 (edited by drewsfjord 2014-11-18 14:15:24)

So I had major issues on long prints for two weeks

until I found a short that would come and go ...

it was the heater core connector (black plastic two pin connector btwn the insulated red heat shrunk tipped wires. and the thicker white colored wires. Found melted black plastic on the metal connector tips inside the connector. The connector looks perfect externally. Seriously thought the machine was possessed. Cleaned the head three times, readjusted belts, checked wires ... I never would have though the plastic caps would have melted internally enough so they would work half the time esp from a cold start and malfunction during let say a large 24hr print. The speedier settings using slicer gcode brought out the gremlin consistanlty last night.

Ended up taking off the female caps with the red insulated end then crimped, heat shrunk individually to the male tips... then ...will just upload a picture.

So far no issues.

http://s3.postimg.org/lc7nqn25r/Photo_on_11_15_14_at_2_39_PM.jpg

I was having a similar issue. I was able to clean the nozzle, level the bed, etc. However, the extruder would start clicking and stop feeding material shortly into print jobs. In one case, while preparing to clean the nozzle, the printer reported the 011 error indicating failure to heat nozzle. During further testing I noticed that the nozzle was not heating up (according to the front LCD) while preparing to print. I jiggled the wires going to the nozzle heating element and the nozzle immediately began heating up. Observing this, I decided to disassemble the 2-pin connector supplying power to the nozzle heater. I found that one of the female contacts was slightly discolored and sprung back much more than the other female contact. Bending the contact back into "normal" position was somewhat effective but the contact seemed to have very little spring left to it (indicating it was either overheated at some point or just a crappy connector) so I elected to replace the whole connector with two power bullet connectors (run-of-the-mill automotive style).

So far this modification has worked perfectly; no more extruder clicking or 011 error.

I had the same issue.. 140hr of printer use, and it stop heating.. of course its out of the 90 day warranty.. so Den's Clips to the rescue.. works great!!

Thanks,

I just got done replacing the black extruder connector. On and off temperature, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes at the end of print.
Scraping the connectors and bending them for better contact made no difference.
Luckily had some Deans Connectors from my r/c stuff.

Also, noticed the extruder heats up faster now, so must of had a weak connection for awhile.
Purchased 11/14.
1.1.G
Slic3R
NetFab Basic
B9 Creator supports
XYZWareMod
Manual reset

DaV1.0  10/13
Repetier FW 0.92, Solidify3D

Something simple such as the wire connector in the attached image also works pretty well.

Post's attachments

terminal_block[1].jpg
terminal_block[1].jpg 223.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Sorry for revive the topic. Does anybody know how to fully disassemble the nozzle of the XYZ?

timoteojorge wrote:

Sorry for revive the topic. Does anybody know how to fully disassemble the nozzle of the XYZ?

Once you removed it from the printer, unplug the thermistor wire. You will see the throat in the inside in there  is a bolt holding it onto the bracket it should be 10mm. Once you remove the bolt it will drop right out.  You will probably will need two pair of pliers, the throat will screww right off the nozzle.

Da Vinci  AiO with firmware 1.1.1 using xyzscan 1.1.18
E3Dv6 hotend with custom carriage with Borosilicate glass bed
123D Design and Simplify3D, Replaced PS with a Solidgear Flex320
Zerokart resetter,  Installed a Extruder Controller for higher temps

Thank you so much! I got it!

Do you know what thermistor is used in the extruder? Is that a 100k thermistor? My thermistor wires have broken and I'd like to replace it.

timoteojorge wrote:

Do you know what thermistor is used in the extruder? Is that a 100k thermistor? My thermistor wires have broken and I'd like to replace it.

Its a 100k

Da Vinci  AiO with firmware 1.1.1 using xyzscan 1.1.18
E3Dv6 hotend with custom carriage with Borosilicate glass bed
123D Design and Simplify3D, Replaced PS with a Solidgear Flex320
Zerokart resetter,  Installed a Extruder Controller for higher temps

thank you!