Topic: XYZ 2.0

Ive been wanting a Dual Extruder printer for awhile now and after looking at a couple videos of the 2.0 Im still unsure. It looks to be a ridiculously easy to use printer, You put the cartridges in and hit load cartridge. It even has a bin on each side for each nozzle that cuts off the excess filament oozing from the hot end and deposits it neatly and seperatley for each head.

I guess the problem is it's a little too easy. With my SD4 I can load filament in faster and it can be any filament I choose. I can mod it, I can add different hot ends. When the filament oozes before a print I grab it with tweezers or feed enough through that I can just pull it.

With the 2.0 I cant do any of that, but I also would never have to worry about filament feeding or the roll getting hung up. It loads itself. The filament isnt any more expensive......in fact its like $24 a roll shipped from amazon. The bed is self calibrating.....(Man that would save allot of time)
But it's just so.....I dunno I guess as someone into this stuff I like to be able to tweak things. Thats why I wanted a 3d printer to start out with. But the 2.0 is just set and forget with dual extruders.

What do you guys think?

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-11-05 01:12:21)

Re: XYZ 2.0

The 2.0 and 1. 0 both run on the same board, firmware, and software. You could convert a 1.0 to a 2.0 with minimal effort assuming you can get another extruder and the cartridge receptacle. The main board just needs the parts populated and those can be derived from the already known parts for the primary extruder.

The cleaning system does not work well. It still oozes and you will still need to grab it with tweezers. The auto-level system also does not work. You can run it and make no changes and get a different value with each run. Most of us run it once till we get a pass then we store that value and calibrate manually using a shim, paper, business card, whatever. I prefer .10mm to .15mm on my gap and use a feeler gauge to set it. As for the cartridges, yes they are 24 bucks BUT you only get 600g in one while you can by twice that on a roll for just a few more dollars.

Now don't get me wrong. For what you pay and once you jailbreak it, it is a great deal and works well. Now that Repetier firmware has been released for it, it is even better as you have much more control of it now. Add the Repetier host and you have an unbeatable combination for what you paid. Now I am going by a 1.0 and the fact that I see the PCB has all the unpopulated components to support a second extruder. I also see in the settings menu some hints of a second extruder.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by scobo 2014-11-05 07:50:49)

Just to add to what carl posted, you can now buy a 2nd extruder from xyz for 99 dollars.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

I've got the duo, but in my case I found that the 2nd extruder 'leaks' filament, dragging it across the part and creating a mess.  I don't have the time to figure out how to adjust it, so I've just 'eaten' the added cost and the smaller printing envelope.  At some point I'll have the time to figure it out . . .

I've coming from a background of using a Dimension Elite and having really hassle free prints, but now I'm on my own and I wanted to experiment with a really inexpensive printer.

I'm also assuming that at some point I'll use a more capable slicer software and I'll gain more control over the temperature of the second head to tweak it's temperature and stop the drip.

Engineer in the Medical Device Industry, used high end 3D printers, but exploring what can be done with inexpensive printers.  Own a Da Vinci 2.0 Duo