Topic: XYZ 1.0 WITH TAULMAN BRIDGE

I decided to try printing with bridge. set temp to 245 c., away I went.  Print started Wonderful really nice layering and fill. All of a sudden nothing. It appeared that the filament stopped feeding, I cancelled the print and removed the bridge from the feeder. After looking at the fill it appeared that the layers got thinner and thinner before they finally stopped. Fearing the worst I loaded some Filabot ABS, which printed fine. I've tried a few times since then to get the bridge to print properly. Tried slowing the printer down, to 30mm/s outline and 30mm/s fill and 50mm/s travel. First layer was popping and wasn't coming out great before it finally failed.

Again I switched back to ABS and no problems AT ALL. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success with bridge on their davinci, or any advise to prevent this from happening again.

Re: XYZ 1.0 WITH TAULMAN BRIDGE

Is it possible the nylon is too transparent for the optical system to see it is present and the printer may be stopping because it thinks it is out? I would think you would get an alarm though if that where the case. I know others have had issues with transparent filament.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Bridge just needs to move slower.  About 10% of your normal ABS speeds so instead of 30 try 10.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

4 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-05 04:28:13)

wardjr wrote:

Bridge just needs to move slower.  About 10% of your normal ABS speeds so instead of 30 try 10.

+1 dont know where others say they can do them at 75-100. just wish Slic3r would see small scale car roofs as bridges. also put support under them besides just wheels unless forced

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

I decided to try printing with bridge. set temp to 245 c., away I went.  Print started Wonderful really nice layering and fill. All of a sudden nothing. It appeared that the filament stopped feeding, I cancelled the print and removed the bridge from the feeder. After looking at the fill it appeared that the layers got thinner and thinner before they finally stopped. Fearing the worst I loaded some Filabot ABS, which printed fine. I've tried a few times since then to get the bridge to print properly. Tried slowing the printer down, to 30mm/s outline and 30mm/s fill and 50mm/s travel. First layer was popping and wasn't coming out great before it finally failed.

Again I switched back to ABS and no problems AT ALL. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success with bridge on their davinci, or any advise to prevent this from happening again.

also try turning heat down under boiling for filament lol ABS and specially PLA have to be lots lower than 245c some hotends fail at that temp

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

also try turning heat down under boiling for filament lol ABS and specially PLA have to be lots lower than 245c some hotends fail at that temp

No one here is discussing the process of printing bridges.  The topic is about Taulman's Bridge filament which is nylon.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

oh lol. sounded like it sorry nevermind

Ok, I'll slow it down.  Is the heat ok at 245 or should i drop that to ~235-240c.

Not knowing anything about your hot end I would suggest you go with what seems to flow the best I use 265 on an E3d.

wardjr wrote:

Not knowing anything about your hot end I would suggest you go with what seems to flow the best I use 265 on an E3d.

DAVINCI HOT END.... IS THAT BAD? HAHA

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Hello POPOTROP,
I just tried printing the Bridge Nylon yesterday but using the stock firmware.  I figured it was failing because of speed and I am curious if you ever got yours to work?  If so what settings are you using?  I was going to give slic3er a go tonight so looking forward to hearing from you.

eriemaker wrote:
POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Hello POPOTROP,
I just tried printing the Bridge Nylon yesterday but using the stock firmware.  I figured it was failing because of speed and I am curious if you ever got yours to work?  If so what settings are you using?  I was going to give slic3er a go tonight so looking forward to hearing from you.

sent PM...

No luck yet. I did buy an extra fan, currently waiting for filament from filabot so i can print the shroud.

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Depends on what a DAVINCI HOT END actually is?  Is it a PEEK style or an all metal hot end?
What is the max temp your can run it at?

wardjr wrote:
POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Depends on what a DAVINCI HOT END actually is?  Is it a PEEK style or an all metal hot end?
What is the max temp your can run it at?

It's what came on the Printer... PEEK, if I'm not mistaken

It seems to me that the problem is heat creeping up the filament tube.  Both the PLA and the nylon did similar things to me, they print good for a small amount of time, then they thin out and eventually jam.  When I pulled the PLA out I noticed that it was swelled up further up the tube.  Now for the PLA I believe I was running too hot, but maybe this is the problem with the Davinci Hot end?  Just my 2 cents.

BUMP, Has anyone tried this yet, with success?

I've resorted to replacing my entire carriage and hot end.  I'm running the E3D v6 now. 
We have a thread on this conversion.

sigmaz_1 wrote:

I've resorted to replacing my entire carriage and hot end.  I'm running the E3D v6 now. 
We have a thread on this conversion.

Saw that... Figured.

19 (edited by POPOTROPOPIC3 2014-12-10 17:02:48)

SUCCESS! As of this morning, I can print Taulman Bridge with my Davinci 1.0.

Will Post pictures of first success with bridge as soon as phone is charged enough to take pictures.

What's your setting?  What mod did you made to make it print?

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

Will Post pictures of first success with bridge as soon as phone is charged enough to take pictures.

I can't wait to hear as well!

danlu_gt wrote:

What's your setting?  What mod did you made to make it print?

POPOTROPOPIC3 wrote:

I guess that phone was really dead!

XYZ DA Vinci DUO 2.0
XYZWARE
Simplify3d
wctek.com xyzerocart

Haha it sure was! I'm sure he just got busy with the holidays.

jeff jenkins wrote:

I guess that phone was really dead!

Ill post my settings this evening. Sorry about the delay.

Phone died, started charging phone, did other things. Never got to take any pictures.  Will print another part then post pictures!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xyN0LPT2Ybc/VKdD1nlIKYI/AAAAAAAAD0Y/5OllbcU3VT0/w426-h757/taulman2.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3Vg5cuNP0UU/VKdCVzP_WDI/AAAAAAAADzo/uoD_dF-vidw/w426-h757/tajlman1.jpg