Topic: Autonomous, Co-Axial Scout Drone Prototype

Hello,

I've recently created a co-axial, scout drone prototype to aid with backpacking and hiking.  It's printed from my Makerbot Replicator2.

If you want to see more, check out BackcountryDrones.com

Thanks,
Jonathan

Post's attachments

3DModel.jpg
3DModel.jpg 72.85 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-11-04 

Drone_Bottle.jpg
Drone_Bottle.jpg 76.67 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-11-04 

FlyngTestStands.jpg 97.24 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

TwoDrones.jpg
TwoDrones.jpg 98.76 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-11-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-04 06:57:05)

Re: Autonomous, Co-Axial Scout Drone Prototype

so how does a spinning camera get a picture you can tell what direction to go? not sure I understand design by pics. it just goes up takes picture and comes down? what if its blown away and cant be found/recovered?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

The props counter rotate to each other and keeps the body from spinning. Also it's remote controlled so you can fly it back to you.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Very cool. I understand the up and down moments, how do you counter wind or other horizontal movement?

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

5 (edited by ysb 2014-11-06 15:07:45)

wire10ga wrote:

The props counter rotate to each other and keeps the body from spinning. Also it's remote controlled so you can fly it back to you.

from the build page, it's a real drone :

Designed to be hand launched and run autonomously, the First Ascent is capable of quickly ascending to several hundred feet where it can capture an aerial image of your surroundings before returning.

it's not a remote controlled system ...

by the way, great idea

yeah how would you control direction on a twin rotor copter with fold up blades instead of gimble

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

7 (edited by ysb 2014-11-07 14:09:35)

n2ri wrote:

yeah how would you control direction on a twin rotor copter with fold up blades instead of gimble

...by changing the angle of the blades (up/down) and the speed of rotation of each blades pair , i thought... it can go back to his launch position... so there is a method or any winds will take it away...

edit : on the photos, you can see a gimble system on the upper blade.. so it's very like a helicopter...

Do I see a 3d-printed swashplate there?  Are any non-standard parts required to build one of these other than the blades?  Something like this could be popular, considering a coaxial design doesn't need any special software or sensors to be flyable (just gyro stabilization for yaw)

Yeah, I see at least one swashplate and there are 2 servos in one of the views with connections to 2 sides of the center blades. Motor differential could provide yaw. Motor speed would provide up/down. The swashplate should be able to provide directional control. Probably 3 gyro stabilization built in. Prices for those control boards have dropped a lot.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite