Topic: Import into XYZWare doesn't show on screen

I just got my DAVinci 1.0 printer today. Demo printed great. I'm trying to import a couple of different STL files into XYZWare, they seem to be importing but I don't see the import on the screen. What am I missing?

2 (edited by chrislondon 2014-11-02 02:28:30)

Re: Import into XYZWare doesn't show on screen

If you want you can send the STL file to me and I can have a look. But without looking at the files there are three cases I can think of where the print doesn't show up:

1) It's GIGANTIC and you can't see it without zooming out
2) It's microscopic so you can't see it without zooming in
3) It's a bad STL file that just didn't import well.

One way to try and fix bad STL is to run them through the online netfab STL fixer http://netfabb.azurewebsites.net It requires a Microsoft login account but that's not a big deal.

I can second that. Most likely the stl file was not "watertight" or had some issues that XYZware cannot read (same applies to slic3r).

Check the file for errors using online filters and if you use sketchup there are some helpful plugins such as solidchecker.

Hi all,
I've the same problem, XYZware doesn't show anything after importing an .stl file (i downloaded some .stl from XYZ website...)
How did you solve the issue?
Thanks

5 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-12-28 00:07:55)

rob74mail wrote:

Hi all,
I've the same problem, XYZware doesn't show anything after importing an .stl file (i downloaded some .stl from XYZ website...)
How did you solve the issue?
Thanks

You have to run them through a site like netfabb cloud service to repair it. If it has any errors then it will not display correctly on XYZware. Many of the STl files on thingiverse have never even been printed. they are just designs people have come up with and then exported to STL. Many don't even know how a 3d printer works and how a part needs to be oriented to print correctly. They just scan and design stuff and throw it up on there.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hi Carl,
First tks for your quick reply.
I already verified the stl to be printed through the online netfab STL fixer and its ok.
The problem seems to be that, using my old laptop that opengl 2.1 is not supported (only 2.0) and it caused the unexpected error.
As soon as i can make a test with my desktop pc i'll give an update, as it was very difficult for me to understand the reason of the issue.
Thanks ans ciao

7 (edited by scobo 2014-12-28 17:06:39)

I found this when I used an old netbook. The files are actually imported but the models just don't show on the build plate. The same models show up fine on a newer laptop running the same version of xyzware.
So it's an issue with older graphics cards and Open GL as rob mentioned.
However, even though you can't see it, the file will still slice and you can send it to the printer no problem.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs