Topic: 3D Printing in Space - Help Requested

Hello, we are the Virginia Tech Rocksat-X 2015 Design Team. This year, our goal is to fly a 3D printer aboard a short sounding rocket mission.

The printer must:
Fit within a 9 in diameter cylinder with height under 9 in (<23 cm).
Consume less than 1 Amp Hour of Power to complete a print job.
Weigh less than 10 lb (<4.5 kg).
Be controllable by off the shelf electronics (Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Beaglebone Black)
Simple to use and setup.

If you have any recommendations or insight on how to accomplish this goal, it would be massively appreciated, and can help send one of the first 3D Printers into space.

Please contact us here or at [email protected]
Thank you

Re: 3D Printing in Space - Help Requested

What kind of data are you planning on gathering with this test?

I'm assuming that the ISS printer isn't going to answer the questions you plan to ask?

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

thats a tall order, whats the budget?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

My first thought would be the micro but not due for release until February. the little machine is only a 7.3 inch cube but that would make it over ten inches on the diagonal.
weight only 1 kilo so room for a a pi and filament.
9' cylinder you probably need to get a delta kit and cut down the pieces. to make it fit the envelope.
One amp of power measured where. one amp out of a 12v power supply  is only 12 watts not much to work with. but 1 amp from a wall outlet should give you  about 120 WATS for an hour or 240 wats for a half hour.
tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

5 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-01 19:16:56)

also use PLA so minimal bed heat needed and lower extruder heat. both eat Watts. also steppers could be smaller ones than normal at that size print area not needing as long of run times or power. maybe servos

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

6 (edited by cor5151 2014-11-16 09:34:01)

i assume its going to be a fdm printer, but i really don't see how you'll pull that off on 1amp an hour..  so best bet i'd say would be SLA something like http://3dprint.com/19667/ibox-nano-cheap-3d-printer/ or http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141014- … rives.html
but then the whole space thing kinda throws out the conventional sla process ... so my take on it would be to design a dc motor based fdm printer that prints with fluids and uv light.
might work if your actually in 0g