1 (edited by jaques 2014-10-21 08:38:46)

Topic: anyway to know how much filament will be used?

is there any way in Repetier Host or Slic3r or some other program you use or some other way to find out how many grams of plastic a print will need before I start printing? Don't want my filament roll to end half print.

2 (edited by jagowilson 2014-10-21 12:18:59)

Re: anyway to know how much filament will be used?

Slic3r tells you the value after slicing completes in the output log of RH. Values are mm and cm^3. ABS weights 1g/cm^3 approximately (remind you of anything? smile )

It'll take you a while to burn through a kilogram spool unless you frequently print large parts.

A harder question to answer is "How much filament is left on the spool?" :-).

4 (edited by pirvan 2014-10-21 14:14:37)

Claghorn wrote:

A harder question to answer is "How much filament is left on the spool?" :-).

I suppose you can always weigh a spool prior to first using it, and getting the total weight, then weighing it again before every print job.   The difference in weight is what you used.

Assuming you started with a 1KG spool that should tell you what you have left and whether you have enough to complete the job (based on Slic3r/Repetier's slicing result).

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

5 (edited by jaques 2014-10-21 18:38:44)

jagowilson wrote:

Slic3r tells you the value after slicing completes in the output log of RH. Values are mm and cm^3. ABS weights 1g/cm^3 approximately (remind you of anything? smile )

Hadn't seen that. Thank you.
So ABS is 1g per cm^3?. And I suppose mm is the length of the 1.73mm filament. Nice.

pirvan wrote:

Assuming you started with a 1KG spool that should tell you what you have left and whether you have enough to complete the job (based on Slic3r/Repetier's slicing result).

isnt it as simple as weighing the spool of filament to find out how much the spool itself weighs (total weight - 1kg (filament weight)) then weighing your spool of filament and subtracting the weight of the spool alone?

Along as you assume you start with 1KG, you simply account for the difference in weight:

So let say you weigh a brand new spool and it weighs 1.6KG.  You write that on a label and stick it to the side of your spool.  before the next job you weigh it again, and it now weighs 1.4KG, so you used .2KG out of 1KG, therefore you have 0.8KG left and so forth.

If you want to be more accurate, you would have to know the weight of the empty spool, to subtract it out of the total weight.  Short of that, using the difference between the current weight and the original weight, and assuming you didn't get short changed by the vendor, that works best.

Since we're on the topic of accuracy, you should also test the accuracy of Slic3r's estimations vs. the actual output.   After a print is complete, remove it from the print bed with all the supports and everything, and weigh it.  Then compare that to the estimated numbers Slic3r had produced original for this print job.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

7 (edited by jagowilson 2014-10-22 00:17:16)

Good way to test if you're over-extruding too. Slic3r is actually pretty accurate about this, as is S3D. Then again, the only things I've weighed are small enough to fit on a pocket scale.

Anyone thought of attaching the guts of a set of postal scales to a spool holder? smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

you could try viewstl.com

If you load the gcode into Pronterface it will tell you mm of filament used

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories