1 (edited by fr333n3rgy 2014-10-19 04:54:23)

Topic: Personal Mini Shredder

After a few late nights of 3D design, I've come up with an affordable mini shredder that will handle not only your mis-prints but also be able to recycle PET bottles and other printer-compatible materials. The initial 3D cad is done and a very quick picture is attached. I'll make this available as a DIY kit with all parts pre-cut precision parts and your own printed extra parts to keep the KIT costs down (youtube videos are on the way too).

The goal of this product is to recycle materials (free and abundant around us) in order to create filastruder and other compatible filament extruder supply - rendering your filament costs practically free (if you exclude the few cents for the electricity).

Keep an eye on the website in the DIY section http://www.wctek.com/shop, I plan to post more information in the next few weeks.

Your feedback and requests are as always welcomed.

Let's clean up the dumpsters of all those water bottle and bring down the cost of PET filament to ... nothing and recycle all those ABS toys and electronic enclosures as well by doing it all ourselves smile

....And ... If your kids are bad and drives you nuts, we can recycle all that lego too!

F3

Post's attachments

mighty_shredder.jpg
mighty_shredder.jpg 56.9 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-10-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Did your cartridge fail? Can't purchase a new one anywhere? Give your existing cartridge new life with http://wctek.com/xyz

Re: Personal Mini Shredder

I'll be waiting to see one in action.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

How fine does it shred?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

4 (edited by fr333n3rgy 2014-10-19 19:00:37)

satman49 wrote:

How fine does it shred?

The original specs are to be able to produce 1/4" x 1/4" x up to 1/4" thick chunks to make it easy to feed directly or process it with the 2nd stage (the pelletizer) which is in the works.

These are the major key goals

* Able to recycle prints and support materials from failed prints
* Able to recycle PET or other compatible plastics
* Produce filament extruder compatible pellets
* Use as many economical off the shelf parts as possible
* Use as many printable parts as possible (to lower costs)
* Build a strong lasting construction
* Keep costs of unit @ lowest possible
* Modular design (expandable)
* Kit form so that it can be shipped cheaply
* Interchangeable "Teeth" to produce different output
* Easy assembly without the need of any special tools

Did your cartridge fail? Can't purchase a new one anywhere? Give your existing cartridge new life with http://wctek.com/xyz

5 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-19 18:03:13)

needs to be able to take scrap ABS filament pieces or chunks of failed prints and make all about BB sized pellets to feed into a Filastruder. repurposed paper shredder cant do it. this is needed with Filastruder so we can recycle support material etc and stop waste. food processors wont either tried both. need like a coffee grinder style with maybe a diamond rasp blade or mini wood chipper.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

see also topic titled 'Recycling program for ABS/PLA' this project needs to be more of a design of a home 3D shop tool accessory. that way the whole world can buy one and use it at their own shop and save shipping cost which adds to cost of recycling in many ways.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

needs to be able to take scrap ABS filament pieces or chunks of failed prints and make all about BB sized pellets to feed into a Filastruder. repurposed paper shredder cant do it. this is needed with Filastruder so we can recycle support material etc and stop waste. food processors wont either tried both. need like a coffee grinder style with maybe a diamond rasp blade or mini wood chipper.

Exactly.

8 (edited by fr333n3rgy 2014-10-19 19:02:17)

n2ri wrote:

see also topic titled 'Recycling program for ABS/PLA' this project needs to be more of a design of a home 3D shop tool accessory. that way the whole world can buy one and use it at their own shop and save shipping cost which adds to cost of recycling in many ways.

This is designed to sit in your office/home - there is another component, the pelletizer that can convert the small 1/4 x 1/4  chunks to produce standard size pellets (if needed). The pelletizer will allow you to mix colors and produce colored pellets in order to have a uniform filament when used with the filament extruder.

It is uneconomical (and a hassle) to ship scraps to a central location for recycling since the shipping will be higher than purchasing virgin pellets - the only way that recycling can work (for the home user) is to recycle at home and using the recycled material in the filament making extruder (or supply the pellets to others at a much lower price than virgin abs coming from china and going through customs / middle man etc).

fr333n3rgy wrote:

It is uneconomical (and a hassle) to ship scraps to a central location for recycling since the shipping will be higher than purchasing virgin pellets

That... isn't true.

I've been looking at this for a long time, and I can't make anything outside of centralized recycling (like Ggalisky's setup) work out. Lets take a look at the numbers.

Lets assume you're able to machine those teeth out of hard steel (or conversely, soft steel and then heat treat them) for $5/ea. Even a small shredder needs 10 teeth per shaft, plus the cleaning spacers (do not need to be hardened). You're looking at ~$150 before you've even made a chassis (6061, I'd assume) and bearings. You might be able to do it with a BoM of $175. Maybe. It is commonly accepted that your retail price must be at least 2.3x BoM, even in maker businesses. Now you're looking at $400/ea - lets assume you do free shipping just to make the numbers easy.

$400 buys a lot of pellets. Lets take a look at the three options:

Virgin Pellets
It buys 120lbs of 4043D PLA (shipped, from OS3DP) or 100lbs of MG94 ABS. That is a lifetime supply for most folks - in fact, I'm only aware of one Filastruder customer that has extruded more than this from their machine.

Centralized recycling
You can fit about 10lbs of failed prints in a large flat rate box, which costs $15 to ship. It can be returned in a medium flat rate box, which costs $10 to ship. It takes about 10 minutes to granulate and reship, so figure on $5 for that - now you're looking at $30 for 10lbs of regrind (recycled prints). Your $400 buys 130lbs of either ABS or PLA worst case, maybe more if you live closer to the recycler and can use by-weight shipping for a lower cost.

Distributed recycling
As noted above, the cheapest a shredder could realistically be sold is about $400. Note that this would be cheaper than the cheapest shredder on the market. However, such a shredder would be hand cranked, so now we need to value time as part of the equation. Let optimistically assume you can shred 1lb in 15 minutes by hand. Based on reports from other shredders on the market, this is likely optimistic. You're then looking at 32 hours of time to shred 130lbs, which at reasonable wages ($15/hr) is already more expensive per pound than centralized recycling - and you haven't even started to pay off the shredder yet.

That raises the next point - in order to pay off the shredder, you're looking at needing over 100lbs of failed prints. Remember how I said 100lbs would likely be a lifetime supply of filament? Very, very few people are going to have enough prints to even break even on a $400 (or $300, if you make the mistake of selling for less than the rule of thumb) shredder. I print on average 6-8 hours a day, every day, and I've amassed about 30lbs of failed prints in total - on over 200lbs of filament.

I'd love for the economics to work for personal shredders - but I can't in good conscience go down that road until either shipping gets much more expensive, or heat treated blades get cheaper. Like real cheap.

Thank you for the input, however your cost calculations are way out. Having done engineering, manufacturing and material sourcing for over 35 years, I can tell you that with certainty.

Perhaps you've missed the whole concept of the mini-shredder. I look at it in a different way.

1) Shredder retail price will be under $300 and note $400+ as you stated.
2) Plastic raw materials will be free (never ever have to buy any).
3) You'll be removing plastic bottles and other trash ABS from the environment and making something useful from it.
4) If you have excess, you can donate or sell it to other hobbyists that would rather purchase raw materials than making it.
4) You will never pay any shipping to pellet suppliers or the middle man.
5) You will not ADD to the trash dumps, but help clean it up a bit (there are alot of 3d FDM printers out there).

Even at your calculation of $400, it would not buy that many pounds of pellets since you would only be able to purchase in small quantities (less than a tonne) and pay a premium for that (check ebay and do the math). You will not get a good price unless you import a metric tonne -- eventually you will max that $400 budget... then what?

Anyway, This is not only about saving money (which you will) but about recycling. You're not forced to recycle, that is entirely your choice. I have been and will keep doing so and many others will too. Some people won't be bothered and will just buy filaments, some will buy pellets and extrude their own filaments that way. That is everyone's right.

Again, thank you for your input.

11 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-19 23:40:21)

yep I see both sides but still dont see how 1 location way out on the west coast can get others thousands of miles away to save, package and ship scrap plastic to and from a 'NON centralized' long distance recycler. maybe if every local recycling station world/nation wide offered this service then not only would it take shipping/packaging cost out but also lower the 'carbon footprint' of all the fuel used doing so which is 95% of what drives people to recycle. also I dont pay myself or my family to help recycle so... for this to work it MUST be so easy even in-house easy that people have no excuse not to recycle their waste what ever it is. plus as you said lifetime of plastic so that means those that can recycle can resell their excess to locals that use that material. same thing applies to all "green tech" look at the Bio fuels they come from same place as PLA. thats why you here pro 3D printing reporters saying you can literally grow your material on site, print, recycle whats left, repeat.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Thank you for the input, however your cost calculations are way out. Having done engineering, manufacturing and material sourcing for over 35 years, I can tell you that with certainty.

I respect that, but I've done the above in this specific industry for a good while now. I have a BS and PhD in Mechanical Engineering. I am also particularly motivated to make a shredder work economically, since it would be another product I could sell.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

1) Shredder retail price will be under $300 and note $400+ as you stated.

Either you are not following the 2.3 BoM cost (which would be a mistake, and non-sustainable) or you've found a way to make heat treated blades for cheaper than I have (and I've spent several days trying to source cheap blades). Which is it?

fr333n3rgy wrote:

2) Plastic raw materials will be free (never ever have to buy any).

I covered this above, you have to use a LOT of plastic to break even on a shredder, even at $300.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

3) You'll be removing plastic bottles and other trash ABS from the environment and making something useful from it.

You would be doing the same with centralized recycling, for cheaper (regardless of how much you have, if you've included time to turn the shredder crank).

fr333n3rgy wrote:

4) If you have excess, you can donate or sell it to other hobbyists that would rather purchase raw materials than making it.

How is this an advantage? You can do that with either of the above options.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

4) You will never pay any shipping to pellet suppliers or the middle man.

Right. You'll pay $300+ for a shredder instead.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

5) You will not ADD to the trash dumps, but help clean it up a bit (there are alot of 3d FDM printers out there).

Ok now you're just repeating yourself (point 3 above)

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Even at your calculation of $400, it would not buy that many pounds of pellets since you would only be able to purchase in small quantities (less than a tonne) and pay a premium for that (check ebay and do the math).

That is incorrect, I even provided my source (http://www.os3dp.com). Less than $4/lb shipped to your door.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

You will not get a good price unless you import a metric tonne -- eventually you will max that $400 budget... then what?

See above. I have personally purchased over 3,000lbs of plastic, and helped others source even more. I am aware of the economics.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Again, thank you for your input.

I'm not saying recycling is wrong. I'm saying recycling isn't economically viable on a distributed scale, ESPECIALLY with hand-cranked shredders if you value your time at much over minimum wage.

n2ri wrote:

yep I see both sides but still dont see how 1 location way out on the west coast can get others thousands of miles away to save, package and ship scrap plastic to and from a 'NON centralized' long distance recycler.

The shipping costs I quoted above are flat rate (same cost throughout the US). It takes less than 5 minutes to print a label, fill a box, tape it shut and stick the label on. USPS picks up from your house, no need to do anything besides set it outside.

n2ri wrote:

maybe if every local recycling station world/nation wide offered this service then not only would it take shipping/packaging cost out but also lower the 'carbon footprint' of all the fuel used doing so which is 95% of what drives people to recycle.

I'm glad you brought that up. USPS has to deliver to every house ever day anyway, adding a 10lb package to a 5000lb truck does not produce a significant increase in the carbon footprint or fuel costs.

n2ri wrote:

also I dont pay myself or my family to help recycle so... for this to work it MUST be so easy even in-house easy that people have no excuse not to recycle their waste what ever it is.

Which is easier? Cranking a shredder for 3 hours (to do 10lbs) or spending 5 minutes to slap a label on a box?

fr333n3rgy wrote:

recycle PET bottles and other printer-compatible materials.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Let's clean up the dumpsters of all those water bottle and bring down the cost of PET filament to ... nothing and recycle all those ABS toys and electronic enclosures as well by doing it all ourselves smile

Have you tried printing with filament from PET water bottles? What were your results?

Not all PET is equal...

"Which is easier? Cranking a shredder for 3 hours (to do 10lbs) or spending 5 minutes to slap a label on a box?"

well considering how low my fixed income is thats a no brainer LMAO aint got the postage money nor money for packing materials. nor gas/leg power to take it to post office. plus when I can buy a 2 pound roll of ABS or PLA for under $20, wheres the motivation to spend the money on postage etc.?

Elmoret,

Again, you jump to conclusions without doing your homework. The shredder is not manual, it's electric (12 volt) so you don't crank.

F3

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Elmoret,

Again, you jump to conclusions without doing your homework. The shredder is not manual, it's electric (12 volt) so you don't crank.

F3

That's even worse! The product liability is enormous! There's a reason all the shredders on the market are manual.

Also not sure how I could have "done my homework" when you haven't released such details. I assumed there was no way you'd sell a motorized shredder capable of removing fingers to the general public. I guess that was an assumption though, you're right.

Interested to see where you're sourcing 150N-m gearmotors at this price point as well. You're making a lot of promises!

Could take a great deal of torque for a 12v motor if the system jams.  Does your design have an automatic reverse if that occurs?

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

Here's an example of the type of motor and gearbox you need for a shredder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzA4tgpsEHY

If you can source those brand new and in quantity for under $100, I'll take a truckload!

Btw, that guy recycles TVs using a Filastruder:

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6285

Pretty cool setup he has there. He has about $1200 in the shredder alone, though.

elmoret wrote:
fr333n3rgy wrote:

Elmoret,

F3

That's even worse! The product liability is enormous! There's a reason all the shredders on the market are manual.

Also not sure how I could have "done my homework" when you haven't released such details. I assumed there was no way you'd sell a motorized shredder capable of removing fingers to the general public. I guess that was an assumption though, you're right.

Interested to see where you're sourcing 50N-m gearmotors at this price point as well. You're making a lot of promises without a lot of substance...

lol

1) Not all shredders are manual - most are electric or fossil-fuel powered (again, no homework).
2) You could have asked before jumping the gun.
3) I am just supplying parts and plans for a kit-form shredder (read my original post).

I guess you'll just have to wait and see what we can come up with.

P.S. If you're cranky about people being able to recycle their own materials at home, wait until you see the filament extruder attachment for it.

21 (edited by Superdave 2014-10-20 01:00:33)

And you should check out their website if you haven't been.  They have a printer that is about 10' tall.  As for him being cranky I'm sure he would love people to be able to recycle at home.  That opens up the market for his extruder.  Unless I'm completely missing something. hmm

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

Superdave wrote:

Could take a great deal of torque for a 12v motor if the system jams.  Does your design have an automatic reverse if that occurs?

Yes (and custom ratio gears) -- let me make some videos once I get it all together -- I'll post links here.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

1) Not all shredders are manual - most are electric or fossil-fuel powered (again, no homework).

I'm not sure why you continually feel the need to insult me.

You must not be reading what I'm saying, so I'll try to clarify for you.

There's a reason all consumer-oriented shredders on the market are manual.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

3) I am just supplying parts and plans for a kit-form shredder (read my original post).

There is definitely liability in that.

http://tucson.com/news/local/crime/judg … 65918.html

Kit airplane manufacturers get sued all the time for injury/death.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

P.S. If you're cranky about people being able to recycle their own materials at home, wait until you see the filament extruder attachment for it.

I am not cranky one bit - Its just that I've designed exactly what you showed in your CAD rendering in the OP. I've been there, done that... and I'm trying to save you the trouble but you seem to be uninterested in listening to those that have come before you, so I wish you the best.

fr333n3rgy wrote:

Your feedback and requests are as always welcomed.

Apparently not. I'm not sure why you'd come into this forum and be so adversarial. I'm quite happy to share my experiences openly, you on the other hand don't seem as open to receiving them.

Superdave wrote:

As for him being cranky I'm sure he would love people to be able to recycle at home.  That opens up the market for his extruder.  Unless I'm completely missing something. hmm

You are 100% correct. I have a design finished and quotes from several machine shops. It just isn't feasible right now, economically - unless you're willing to sell it for very close to the cost of BoM to very few interested buyers (a subset of all filament extruder users), therefore never manufacturing in volume.

Talk is cheap. Custom heat treated blades are expensive.

25 (edited by Superdave 2014-10-20 01:16:04)

Tim,

Do you think they absolutely need to be hardened?  I've considered making some blades out of laser cut 3/16" think 316L stainless steel so my piece size would be small.  We have a 15KW laser at the shop that would cut right through that.

As for your point about safety any design should incorporate a dual chamber that allows adding material to the chamber while access to the blade area is still blocked. You could then close the first door and pull the slide to drop material into the blades.