Topic: HELP! Wont let me downgrade firmware! Prints coming out terrible!

Hey guys,
I have been doing the eeprom reset hack and using other filament. All was going great until I got a popup saying "upgrade Firmware?"

I clicked ok, and now the prints are absolutely terrible!

I've done a lot of research, and everyone else seems to be having the same problem, and that their solution was to downgrade the firmware.

However everytime I try to downgrade the firmware to the 1.1.G version, the printer gives a "UPDATING FAIL" message and doesn't downgrade the firmware.

Here is more detail of exactly what I did.

-I uninstalled xyzware
-I went to the voltivo software and firmware repository
-I installed the Original Software CD - TW Version
-I downloaded the 1.1.g firmware
-I turned internet off
-I opened xyzware, clicked upgrade firmware
-I clicked on the 1.1.g file I had downloaded
-The computer says it is sending, but the printer beeps, and then 2 seconds later beeps again saying fail.

I am using a PC with windows 8
The software version is 1.1.26.6
The firmware version is 1.2.3

Someone please help! The prints are absolutely horrendous and I need the printer working for school!

Re: HELP! Wont let me downgrade firmware! Prints coming out terrible!

Your going to have to search around for the way to flash the firmware manually if I remember correctly what I read about the new firmwares from Voltivo's forum.

Basically the method you used will no longer work.

Anyhow, fr333n3rgy who owns wctek http://www.wctek.com/shop/content/9-downloads already has links to options to fix your problem.

Weekend Avenger wrote:

Your going to have to search around for the way to flash the firmware manually if I remember correctly what I read about the new firmwares from Voltivo's forum.

Basically the method you used will no longer work.

Anyhow, fr333n3rgy who owns wctek http://www.wctek.com/shop/content/9-downloads already has links to options to fix your problem.

Thank you! I will try that donwgrader zip asap when I get home!

plasmaninjaa, 1.2.3 (and the latest XYZWare has advanced hack prevention built-in as well as the dreaded remote-printer-reset ability. Every time you start a print, it sends the cartridge serial number to xyz corp and if they can't match it with their database it will send a reset signal to the printer.

1.1.J and older firmwares do not have this feature, that is why I always advise people to stay on 1.1.J.

I've run tests using the same sliced object on G, E, J and 1.2.3 -- there are NO print quality improvements. E has an issue with the LCD display not showing the correct time remaining etc, but the printing is the same. J works well and so does G.

Also, XYZWare up to 1.30 work fine, their latest version also has cartridge hack detection where they compare serial numbers etc. Again the latest version does not improve on print quality whatsoever.

The moral of the story is, downgrade back to 1.1.J and use XYZWare 1.30 or 1.29 (no major differences) and all will work as it should. Staying on 1.2.3 even if you never reset the cartridge is just giving XYZ the option to control your prints remotely (which is unbelievable that they would spy on your work that way).

The guide is here -> http://www.wctek.com/shop/files/DAVINCI_1_0_RESET.zip - I've tested it by upgrading to 1.2.3, then going back to 1.1.J and printing with a resetted cartridge with no issues at all.

If you want to make your life easier, use Phil's utility instead of downloading the Arduino IDE and all that. His utility is here -> http://www.wctek.com/shop/files/XYZDowngrader.zip

F3

Did your cartridge fail? Can't purchase a new one anywhere? Give your existing cartridge new life with http://wctek.com/xyz

OMG! FW 1.2.3 is horrible! I haven't had a successful print since I upgraded. I was fine with buying the carts from xyz, but now I've had so many failed prints, wasted filament, and unuseable filament, not to mention time and frustration, I'm OUT! Does anyone have links to downgrading with a Mac? I think I may just skip xyz firmware altogether. I would like to thank xyzprinting for the incredibly cheap hardware, now go eff yourself! Any suggestions for a new firmware? I already have slic3r, because xyzware is a 3rd graders attempt at a UI! How are you suppose to build anything over 2 inches tall with a 90c bed and 210c extruder?! What a joke, I do not recomend this printer to any novice, it is useless junk, unless you have the know how to skip all of their Kia software, and perform a few simple hardware upgrades.

hello

I have followed the steps in the readme file but i get stuck in the command promt, I cant get it to work.
Also in my device manager it says Bossa Program Port (COM6) not Bossac serial port as in the readme
can anyone help me, I'm stuck.

Update,

it now says:

C:\Users\Floris>desktop\bossac -p COM6 -R -e -w -v -b 3DP01_FW_V1.1.J.bin

Erase flash

No such file or directory

on my desktop the file just says 3DP01_FW_V1.1.J
and under type it says winzip (.bin) but i can't change it...

can someone help me?

florislookeren wrote:

Update,

it now says:

C:\Users\Floris>desktop\bossac -p COM6 -R -e -w -v -b 3DP01_FW_V1.1.J.bin

Erase flash

No such file or directory

on my desktop the file just says 3DP01_FW_V1.1.J
and under type it says winzip (.bin) but i can't change it...

can someone help me?

Move bossac and the bin file to the root directory of your c drive. Then run the command line. You also have to edit the command line to reflect your correct com port as every machine will be different.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.