Topic: smoke detector for 3d printer

here :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 … nav_search

not bad idea..

Re: smoke detector for 3d printer

Actually it is a not a great idea. Bad for anyone that buys it, bad for 3D printing, and bad for the creator/designer as soon as gets sued.

For starters, if the fire is bad enough to trip a smoke alarm, shutting off the printer power won't help - the fire is already in full effect.

Second, it is not even UL listed because it is "too expensive".

No - UL listing is too expensive.  Smoke Signal's PCBs and electrical design comply with IPC-2221, an industry accepted standard for circuit board design.  The smoke detector module uses an IC designed to comply with UL217 and UL268 standards.  However no Smoke Signal-specific certification has been obtained.

You're relying on something to protect your house from a fire, designed by someone who deems UL listing unnecessary/too expensive.

This is really bad because it encourages unattended 3D printing. It is like selling parachutes made out of tissue paper to people that don't understand how parachutes work.

point to you...

4 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-16 22:32:31)

he dont even answer the question 'how does it work/ detect?' all smoke detectors use either heat (120 degrees F, or Ionization (sense fumes that begin just b4 burning something). cant use Ionization on a 3D printer since its always making those fumes so it would never be allowed to print. heat of 120f over 2 feet from printer means like Elmor said. you already have a fire needing extinguished like with an auto Halon system which requires an exhaust system to evacuate those vapors upon fire out and cool-down as Halon is a refrigerant that replaces all Oxygen in the room (you know the stuff living things need to breath too) I also was facility engineer for MCI Worldcom and had to know all about these systems too. all reasons these devices are made for commercial/industrial/Lab use not Residential homes with lots of unknown materials etc that can worsen a fire hazard for any person/animal around during or after said fire. also fire detection equipment has to be approved by NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) laws besides UL/CA labs for just electrical safety tests. and commercial offices have even more strict rules to comply with. I was Safety Officer for a large multi site health center for over 10 years and delt with this stuff daily. you dont play with things that can take lives. I not only was trained in operation of many new and old Fire alarm/extinguishing systems but also installed some in my career with building automation energy management systems.
if these guys dont stop messing around like this 3D printers will be on consumer recall lists soon.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs