1 (edited by pastprimitive 2014-10-14 21:27:17)

Topic: Finally A Press Video!

4 minutes ago on Facebook Solidoodle posted a new Press video, giving us a nice up close and personal look at the extruder assembly. 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=69 … mp;theater

LET THE DISSECTION BEGIN!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-o-3KA-qxX_8/VD2UzUinBKI/AAAAAAAAA0g/HPQci2KnAhg/w515-h262-no/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B2.23.40%2BPM.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8OFR05b8O5o/VD2UzWY_YxI/AAAAAAAAA0c/R81xgH2EPws/w529-h295-no/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B2.24.16%2BPM.png

Would have better quality photos, but no HD on their FB video.

Re: Finally A Press Video!

Still no word if it has a fan for pla

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

So the first 3 things that come to mind... I really dig this new extruder design.  Love the aluminum heatsink, larger heat block with what I am assuming is a ceramic heating element as opposed to the stupid over driven resistor... I really really like the stainless steel angled sheet metal carriage.  I know some may think that is a downgrade, but I think it's a beautiful upgrade, seems less prone to shifting, and perfectly adequate. 

Highlighted in red I am wondering... What in the world is that for?  Almost looks like an accessory mount, or something. 

Thankfully they put a fan shroud on, although I am wondering if it's up against  solid wall, or if there is some kind of allowance for air to be pushed over the entire aluminum heat sink portion. 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RTmVnY0fVZw/VD2XgTETvfI/AAAAAAAAA1I/6-Kmzqa4eYA/w515-h262-no/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B2.23.40%2BPM%2Bcopy.png

Yeah, about the fan.  I was a bit disappointed to not see one on there.  Fans are dirt cheap, would be very sad if their motherboard doesn't support that sort of an upgrade.  Especially since even if I don't print with PLA I want the fan for printing small features and better bridging capabilities.  Although to be quite honest I will gladly rip their custom motherboard out first thing if I don't think it's worth anything and put in one of my RAMPS boards I have on hand.

I know they say this isn't for being modified.... but come on.  What's going to really stop us nutters from that.  From all the creaking, groaning noises I heard in the video I already am assuming I'll be doing some structural re-enforcement of the case, sound dampening on thin rattly parts etc...

Solidoodle just stated on the fb page....NO fan.
My trigger finger is itchy about demanding a full refund due to false advertising on basis it would be " out of the box " printing with pla filament

pastprimitive wrote:

So the first 3 things that come to mind... I really dig this new extruder design.  Love the aluminum heatsink, larger heat block with what I am assuming is a ceramic heating element as opposed to the stupid over driven resistor... I really really like the stainless steel angled sheet metal carriage.  I know some may think that is a downgrade, but I think it's a beautiful upgrade, seems less prone to shifting, and perfectly adequate. 

Highlighted in red I am wondering... What in the world is that for?  Almost looks like an accessory mount, or something. 

Thankfully they put a fan shroud on, although I am wondering if it's up against  solid wall, or if there is some kind of allowance for air to be pushed over the entire aluminum heat sink portion. 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RTmVnY0fVZw/VD2XgTETvfI/AAAAAAAAA1I/6-Kmzqa4eYA/w515-h262-no/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-14%2Bat%2B2.23.40%2BPM%2Bcopy.png

I think it is part of the bed leveling system as shown in the first Press vid.
I beat me by 20 mins posting the EXACT same photos! hahaha

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

false advertising . if solidoodle dont fess up about this ..

im asking for a full refund

Post's attachments

p1.png
p1.png 353.21 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-10-14 

p2.png
p2.png 451.41 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@ AZERATE - I would have thought so too, but I believe that is what the black box highlighted on the left is for.  If you look closely in the head-on image you can see a limit switch sticking out ever so slightly.

@proctor_richard - Yeah, I get what you're saying. To be fair though the SD2 & SD3 did not have fans, and I did successfully print decent prints out of PLA on my SD3.  But if we're really being fair, not having a filament cooling fan is pretty chinsy stuff when it will make "out of the box" printing a much more successful endeavor for the novice user.  I mean really, at the very least they should have it as a simple upgrade.  I bet they'll refund you though if you asked.  But I understand the outrage.  I've had my fair share of doodle-rage with my entire Solidoodle 3 experience.  I mean from the first day I've heard them tote all their printers as far as I can recall as "out-of-the-box" printers, and that was such a far stretch of the truth.  Indeed every printer could for the most part print at the very least an unrecognizable blob of plastic solidly attached to the extruder nozzle. 

Honestly the only reason I went with solidoodle again is because I knew what I was getting myself into, and the preorder sale price was right.  I figured worse case I'm spending the money I saved ordering early ripping out the electronics and replacing them with my own, and stiffening the frame.  Something I can easily do in the $200 range I saved by going with the pre order.

But still they have a talent like many businesses for "stretching" (downright misrepresentation) of the truth.  You never want to win a war of technicalities with a customer... The business always loses.

I just can't get my head around SD design engineering ideas.

let's spend loads of r&d money on a new metal extruder design despite the fact our main users report very high reliability with the e3d or bulldog.

Let's not include critical components for high quality print, let's include a auto levelling feature that will lose all benefit due to the inevitable curling and poor bridging from the lack of a fan.

I this video, the Solitouch is on the right, instead of the left, and the extruder and hotend are also different. So the video we saw today may or may not be the final product.

To be fair, proctor_richard, it is possible to print PLA without a fan. I did it for about a month earlier this year. Some large or intricate designs, yes...you absolutely need a fan. But then again, what is a Solidoodle user without some ghetto-rigging? wink
I say keep your blood pressure down for a couple weeks before accusing freaking out. They may have an "easy to add fan" feature on the newer models. Probably not, but still possible.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

i am trying my best to soothe my jimmies but its difficult

13 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-15 00:02:23)

all 3 new models said and pictured with the cooling fans/mounts for bridging etc and said they where connected to board for G code control but none at shows have had them installed plus SD techs say Solidoodle dont believe in them and recommends plenty support for any such bridges. as for PLA use all models since SD2 said that just didnt help it happen correctly. also what is the front heat sync for if not that fan? the one on side wont blow anything there. see this kinda misinformation SD always pulls is why I wont buy till they "SHOW ME" the needed/required features we all have been demanding for 2 years of "upgrades" now.

good luck ever selling these incomplete printers SD. we can upgrade our old printers better for less money. including duel E3D heads.

PS has anyone ever heard what heads/nozzles these 3 printers come with and size orifice? maybe they wont handle PLA any better than the old printers

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

and dont assume anything Azerate when it comes to SD hipe. except they will not deliver whats expected

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

who would people recommend jumping over to? im hearing good things of robo printers for a similar price point

also all video "CLIPS" (like 20secs long) of all 3 new printers only show printing flat objects outside of any inclosure so thats easy for ABS or PLA. try doing an actual 3D detailed object in the Press inclosure with PLA. bet you end up with a flat blob of PLA when Mom opens it up 2 hours later to see if its done. LMAO

so far after couple months wait looks like the 3 new models are a Fail.

just like the new Blueprinter stating its an affordable complete desktop powder type printer. when in reality its an incomplete $25,000 european sales only huge cumbersome industrial Lab machine requiring a few several thousand dollar accessories and costly materials to print up to a 4 inch cube in 2-7 days printing and 3 hours cleanup.

so powder type printers wont be home ready in my lifetime seems.

I was hoping Solidoodle finally listened to the masses with the 2 Workbench series while offering an in-home 3D printer for students etc to get started with. but that too is seeming more like a distant dream.

I would simply say this to solidoodle. Push the release date back again,get your house in order, listen to the people who have supported you since day one or risk becoming a footnote.

I had wondered... I think when the likes of the mod-t from new matter come out SD are essentially screwed

That and the fact the likes of printrbot play right to SD core client base and y'know...

Listen to them

So here's my take on the Press.  I won't say anything about the workbench models because they are in my opinion exactly the same as the SD3/SD4 with a few "oooooo" look at me features.  Namely dual extruder and the 12" print cube... The dual extruder possibly has some very beneficial uses for a few nitch items that I would make.  The 12" print bed.... Well seeing as the process is already pretty slow going, rarely do I want to tie up my only in house 3d printer on some monstrous 12-16 hr print. Now I suppose there is something to be said for being able to print longer small assemblies.... but until the speed of 3d printing increases I think anything past 6" - 8" gets as much use out of it, as a Lamborghini owner gets to utilize it's full potential. 

This is why I am excited about the press.  Not so much because solidoodle is designing it, but because of who they are partnering with to sell it. I hear rumors of best buy, home depot, etc... I could care less about those businesses, but what I do care about is the fact that the press more so than the other printers looks more likely to be a cooperative effort with a Chinese manufacturer.  Let's be honest, does anybody really think these are strictly "American built"? 

Point being is there are a lot of design tip offs to this being a Chinese designed printer.  The thin stainless steel angle carriage... If you spend some time in many of your inkjet, craft cutters, etc... That is a very common motion system in these solely Chinese designed, and manufactured items.  The cast aluminum parts... yeah I know they could have done this state side, but really... 90% most likely thing that happened? They gave a solidoodle to a Chinese manufacturer, and said here's what we have, here's what we want, look forward to talking to you in a month or two.  Yeah Solidoodle may have influenced some important design choices, auto bed leveling being one of them.  But being familiar enough with over seas manufacturing as I am, the press has Chinese designed and made written ALL OVER IT.   I know SD will claim it's their design, indeed legally it is, indeed they gave them alot of important guidelines, blue prints, etc... But the chances that the actual grunt design work was done here state side??? Not very likely.

My whole point is I think we should rejoice solidoodle turned this over to the Chinese.  If the Chinese manufacturers know how to do anything, it's to give customers as much as they possibly can while doing it for next to nothing.  That's why they are so popular imho.  So I really do think we are going to see a lot of previous bizarre design choices left out of the press that were present in the previous Solidoodle line up.  And that is where I put my money.  Yes there will be shortcomings... I mean it's a $600 3d printer. Let's be honest... there may be others out there doing it for cheaper, but none that I have seen that actually ever really deliver anything better, and usually worse. 

So I look at a the press as a step forward, because it's a printer that while may be lacking in many important features to us veteran 3d printing dweebs.  In reality it will garner more investment from retailers.  More investment, means more advertising, more advertising, means more likelihood of more wide spread adoption.  Which in the end will be a huge win for us early adopters. 

So right now I will pay the price for playing with 3d printing in the still (whether we admit it or not) early adopter phase of it's market life cycle. 

Advertisers have always been full of it.  I'd wish Solidoodle would have been more careful to set themselves apart as companies on occasion sometimes do. But they haven't so, now I am willing to dance with the devil;)

22 (edited by pastprimitive 2014-10-15 01:45:49)

In addition to the above.  I utilize the almighty Harbor Freight for many of my home shop tool purchases. Not because i can rely on the amazing high end nature of their components, but because I can rely on their quality being exactly what I expect it to be.  Bargain basement.  That means no surprise when my $15 junk grinder craps out in the middle of a job. No biggie, I bought two in the first place.  And still saved $15 from going with a better manufactured brand.  And when one breaks down... that's ok too, because I budgeted for it.  But when my lifetime warranty tool breaks down, and I don't have the time to wait for it to be repaired, or to argue with a customer service rep whether or not the damage is covered, or who's going to pay for shipping.... I go to Harbor Freight anyway.  Because no one wants to believe their high end tool just craps out, but it happens. 

I bought two welders from harbor freight, my first 110V flux core wire welder was finicky, needed a few minor repairs here and there, but for three years it stuck two hot pieces of metal together. But was a pain in the but to use. When I loaned it to my Dad who's a 2.5 hr drive away and then realized I needed another one... well he got a present, and I went and picked up another... But what blew my socks off was how much they had improved the stupid little piece of junk.  From toothed pulling rollers, improved nozzle, etc... I love my little piece of junk that does 90% of the welding I need to get done with 100% of the quality I expect. It's a tank, and just keeps working.

And that's how I feel about Solidoodle. There customer service is frustrating, their design choices are bizarrely insane at times.  But for my money... it sure is a fantastic machine if I am willing to pick up the slack.  (keeps going like a tank is excluded from how I feel about the Solidoodle brand)

I know this philosophy is not everyone's cup of tea.  And certainly there are items I forget my wallet on.  But I think for your dollar, if you're willing to tinker Solidoodle has a killer KIT.  wink

I bought to welder

23 (edited by jagowilson 2014-10-15 02:38:19)

curious about the performance of the all-metal hotend, so there's that. looks like they likely improved the filament feeding mechanism from the sd4 but it's hard to tell from the video how it works. confused as to why they showed it at such low printing speeds. so slow it's ... creaking haha

I dont share that feeling on China made/harbor freight choice. yes I have bought lots of both. but mostly for jobs that dont matter much or so I have tools for others to steal/break and not care.
I have always bought great Proud quality built lifetime guaranteed American tools my whole56+ year life for tools of my trade and well over 90% of them I still have and they still get the intended job done professionally. I have relied on them to support my family and customers. shame on anyone that sells that out to China or any other cut rate place of Manufacture. I never have supported any company that did.

I have personally called or met in person the owner/CEO of those companies that did do this yet advertise "made in USA" and called them out in same manner so they know we know and wont patronize them (returned said items for refund and bought used better cheaper) as they have killed their company reputation.
I buy 2nd hand on ebay or where ever just to get the "pre China" product. usually made here over 15 years ago. and I dare anyone to show me any foreign cheapo junk even 15 years old that still (if ever) functions as advertised, much less a tool as old as mine that can keep pace on the job week in and week out. that TV commercial Henry firearms done on this subject couple years ago where the guy set everything in home made in China out in yard and only his gun was left over the mantle. thats how strongly I feel and if you done that at my house you wouldn't need a very big Datsun pickup to haul off the stuff.
it would mostly be some harbor freight items and a few hobby toys or entertainment electronics. dont care if thats not politically correct or whos feelings it hurts anymore than those people care about mine. America has bent over backwards way to long for those that just keep on taking advantage of it. its how members of any country should feel about their place origin and home country. its called being a patriot and just growing to trust what you have known to be good.
so I Pray you are wrong about Solidoodle but things being what they are the last several years it wouldnt surprise me either. just means I have to mod my printer to do what its supposed to if they wont listen to those that use their products daily.

Mitch  'made in the USA and proud to be an American in a place founded by people trusting in God'

There's way too much ranting going on here. Nobody wants to hear about why you buy this or that and some of you are making assumptions about the printers without evidence...

Solidoodle has a lot of money into these products, they have probably thought about all of your concerns. We don't know if these printers will be good or bad but until they are released we should refrain from bashing Solidoodle. A lot of people probably surf these forums for advice on whether to pre-order or not, and it's not our job to scare people away. Let the product speak for itself.