Topic: Source for Nema motors

I am pricing a few odds and ends for building a printer from scratch and I am entering new territory looking for Nema motors. I see quite a few on Amazon, but I have no idea what I am looking at to be honest. Can someone recommend a reliable Nema (14+17)?
I know Solidoodle offers some on their site, but I would prefer to not have to pay their upcharge and outrageous shipping charge.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Re: Source for Nema motors

try this  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10846/]

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

These as well...usually same day shipping.

https://www.inventables.com/categories/ … cal/motors

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2014-10-04 12:07:53)

I would either look for a set of japanese motrs on e bay or buy from a reputable importer.http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co … 3d-printer  Automation Technologies has a lot of experience importing  such items. he has 17 s or $ 9 each
76 oz/in  at 1.5 amps.  half the price of the others.

some advise I got. get only motors that have the data sheet or you can download the data sheet. and look at the specs.
the NEMA spec is only frame size.  so there can be a range in motor length amperage rating and torque rating.  and steppers have the most torque when holding.
And make sure your control board will handle the amperage of the motor.
gecko drives has a whole section on selecting the right stepper and stepper theory I can give a link if folks are interested.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I sell and repair electric motors as a living. I can get them wholesale. You guys can always ask me and I'll check with the suppliers. Might be a good hook up for y'all. Just saying

AZERATE wrote:

I am pricing a few odds and ends for building a printer from scratch and I am entering new territory looking for Nema motors. I see quite a few on Amazon, but I have no idea what I am looking at to be honest. Can someone recommend a reliable Nema (14+17)?
I know Solidoodle offers some on their site, but I would prefer to not have to pay their upcharge and outrageous shipping charge.

I sell and repair electric motors as a living. I can get them wholesale. You guys can always ask me and I'll check with the suppliers. Might be a good hook up for y'all. Just saying

AZERATE wrote:

+1 for Sparkfun

If you want a good quality made in USA Nema 17 steppers look at these.
Not cheap but gecko has had many years in the CNC motion control business.  And a rep of standing behind there product.
these are 86.7 oz/in  motors and are rated for 2.4 amps
$ 45  each so a bit more than the Chinese motors and you will need pulleys. 
http://www.geckodrive.com/g717-90-4.html
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura