Topic: Filmmaker/inventor from San Diego

Hi everyone,

I just got my Solidoodle 2 a few days ago after ordering back in August. Yay!!!

My dad owned a plastics repair shop and I worked as a die setter/maintenance at a plastics plant for a while, so I am mostly familiar with extruders and plastics jargon. I also studied CAD at Ohio State and am currently taking Maya classes at Platt College here in San Diego so I am familiar with 3d software.

I am not, however, familiar with the robotic platform or the printing software... this is very alien to me. I am sure to ask a lot of dumb questions, just fyi.

Good to meet you all.
Later.

- Mike

Re: Filmmaker/inventor from San Diego

Good to have another SD person on board.

Don't worry about the robotics, they're all pretty simplistic and easy to get online with.  If you have any mechanical aptitude, you should be fine as we're not really playing with the robotics part of it (unless you WANT to get into firmware and Arduino stuff)

No questions are dumb, not asking them is, however, asking for trouble.  We'll treat you right.

Re: Filmmaker/inventor from San Diego

From another newbie (haven't received my printer yet) WELCOME!  I have been on the forum only  short time while waiting for my delivery number to roll around, but I can tell you that there is a LOT of great info on this site, as well as patient and friendly help. 

I'm working my simple stuff in a program called Cubify Invent ($49).  It's fast and has a lot of pre-programmed behaviors for extrusions, cuts, etc.  My main software is SolidWorks.  I hae DEFINITELY learned a LOT just reading posts about 1mm printing, printer calibration, etc.

There's a great thread reference acetone vapor post treatment of printed parts here:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/448/diy- … tation-ii/

Again, welcome! Have a good day...

Kevin