Topic: Solidoodle 4 print size not really 8''?

Okay, so im unable to move the extruder on the x axis all the way to the left (when looking at the front of the printer from the front) of the print bed as the fan collides with the wall.
Is this a design mistake because it wasnt changed after a fan was added to the extruder or something?
Also, when I set X position and Y position to Home, the nozzle is out of the print bed area (a little right). It kind of seems to be as if the whole print bed was meant to be moved right to compensate for the fan at the left of the extruder but it wasnt moved.

So whats the case?

Re: Solidoodle 4 print size not really 8''?

The printer has a "dump" are just to right (as you look at it from the front).  This area is 5mm wide and when the printer returns home, it will be 5mm off to the right.  It has nothing to do with  fans.

I'm not sure I understand your layout.  Are you saying you installed a fan on the left side of the extruder?  Can you post some pics?

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

'm not sure I understand your layout.  Are you saying you installed a fan on the left side of the extruder?  Can you post some pics?

no the extruder had a fan by default (Solidoodle 4 extruder). I can post a pic.

4 (edited by pirvan 2014-09-21 21:57:49)

I just googled some pics and I can now see the fan.  Does the fan hit the wall, or the left side carriage?  And at what point? 

When you use manual control, how many millimeter does it move to the left before it hits? All the way to the left should read "0", and all the way to the right should be "205"

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

5 (edited by a3393341 2014-09-22 10:17:56)

By manual controls its 0 to 195.

The fan hits this 3d printed part, I dont know what its called:

http://i.imgur.com/alVvxIa.jpg

The fan also prevents the y axis to go all the way too, as you can see in that and these pics:
http://i.imgur.com/4dEfBdU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uX3K0oW.jpg

The fan part is 1.2 cm in length.
Here I unscrewed it and moved it out of the way, you can see clearly that now there's physical space for the extruder head to reach the bottom-left of the print bed freely (when looking from front).

http://i.imgur.com/ETjuwRA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JzkT04Z.jpg

So the only thing I can think why this is the case is when the new extruder with the fan was replaced for the old one, they forgot to redesign the rest of the printer (like move the print bed to the right for about 1.2 cm) or just didnt notice that would cause a problem.
But then how come I dont see anyone mentioning this already, and that would be too unprofessional, so I hope the problem is something else. But there's no question that physically the extruder cant move further left and down (when looking from top) without hitting that plastic part.

yes the SD2 hits the screws on those parts both sides due to screws being 3/4" longer than yours and Solidoodle has no comment about that. the new printers also have less than full size also due to glass bed clips but again SD seems to ignore that fact. other manufactures list true print area in similar circumstances. if there are limits that needs to be in desciption.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

7 (edited by a3393341 2014-09-22 17:58:42)

Thats a SD4 though. Did you mean SD4? This isnt a glass bed clip problem. There is no glass bed clip.

If you are getting collision, you can change the size of ther printer dimensions in RH. I changed my max Z to about 5" instead of 6 since it was colliding with my beloved clutter at the bottom. This can also be done for your X and Y axis.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

9 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-22 21:26:10)

a3393341 wrote:

Thats a SD4 though. Did you mean SD4? This isnt a glass bed clip problem. There is no glass bed clip.

I know just stating other models with such problems. look at last few posts in the Three new solidoodle models' topic. Solidoodle acknowledges your problem and says thats why the new workbench models moved that fan to front

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Hm, now that I thought about this some more, I can maybe "move" the print bed to the right to compensate for the fan by placing a glass bed slightly right or having it slightly longer on the right side than the actual print bed.

I do believe the solidoodle (like all 3d printers for that matter) is described as 'Creates plastic parts up to 8" x 8" x 8"' in the same way a suzuki swift is described as having 5 seats. Technically yes, but...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi