Topic: Dremel releases a 3D printer...

http://makezine.com/2014/09/17/dremel-3 … a-builder/

Re: Dremel releases a 3D printer...

I see Flashforge is making it, guess that is why it looks like ther dreamer but single extruder.
http://www.flashforge-usa.com/shop/3d-p … nter.html/

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Seems under spec'd for that $999.00 price point...no heated bed; 6" x 9" x 5.5" high build area?

Looks like Dremel and their Retailers are trying to maintain their customary 30-40% margins.  A Solidoodle Press, even at full price, will have this beat hands down.

From the article:
The software lacks options to change print temperatures, infill percentages, add rafts, or use custom gcode files — handicaps Dremel purposefully implemented to help simplify the printing experience for new users. However, it’s been mentioned that these missing features may be added in future iterations of the software.

So much for making mods!!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I would have expected a CNC from Dremel.

IanJohnson wrote:

That "wood" have made a lot more sense

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:

Seems under spec'd for that $999.00 price point...no heated bed; 6" x 9" x 5.5" high build area?

Looks like Dremel and their Retailers are trying to maintain their customary 30-40% margins.  A Solidoodle Press, even at full price, will have this beat hands down.

The two are apples and oranges. Solidoodle doesn't even have a phone number to call. Doesn't include anything but the printer. Dremel includes a 68 page manual even with their $50 rotary tool.

Buying this, you trade features for ease of use, support, and documentation.

IanJohnson wrote:

They can't knockoff a Flashforge and end up with a CNC.

elmoret wrote:

Buying this, you trade features for ease of use, support, and documentation.

Yeah...but I'd still like to be a fly on the wall at the Dremel Support Center when the calls start coming in for clogs, layer shifts and the like!  I'm sure they have fully trained their CS staff to be ready!!

9 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-17 20:47:56)

Not impressed with Dremel for like 20 years now. their tech support is 1 sentence "well if you return the item in original packaging and include SRP plus shipping for replacement we will send a similar item for replacement" thats what they always say. I keep my well built old Dremel tools and repair myself. I still have a model 1 works like new (1940 issued) they told me they have no parts even collets for it and if I send it plus $30 and shipping they will send me one of the new Walmart $19.96 models. HA Ill keep my working antique. I own 3 of their last well built model 395 units as my backups. and also bought the MM40 commercial grade multi max model. my tools have to do what I need when its needed and be passed down to my grand kids like some where passed down to me and contiue same service. thats something China cant provide. wish they still made the squre bodied Mini might cordless with lithium batters instead of Nicad the batteries is only thing keeping me from using mine they stopped taking charge years ago when they went to the round body b4 discontinuing. their new cordless digital overload cordless junkers are a waste of time and money.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

Not impressed with Dremel for like 20 years now. their tech support is 1 sentence "well if you return the item in original packaging and include SRP plus shipping for replacement we will send a similar item for replacement" thats what they always say. I keep my well built old Dremel tools and repair myself. I still have a model 1 works like new (1940 issued) they told me they have no parts even collets for it and if I send it plus $30 and shipping they will send me one of the new Walmart $19.96 models. HA Ill keep my working antique. I own 3 of their last well built model 395 units as my backups. and also bought the MM40 commercial grade multi max model. my tools have to do what I need when its needed and be passed down to my grand kids like some where passed down to me and contiue same service. thats something China cant provide. wish they still made the squre bodied Mini might cordless with lithium batters instead of Nicad the batteries is only thing keeping me from using mine they stopped taking charge years ago when they went to the round body b4 discontinuing. their new cordless digital overload cordless junkers are a waste of time and money.

+1 to the crotchety old man smile

I think you all are missing the point.  If the printer prints poorly, they will sell more Dremel hand tools. Watch for special ABS grinding bits tongue

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

I bet we'll see a lot of "Refurbished" Dremel printers when people start  returning them due to print problems.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

wire10ga wrote:

I bet we'll see a lot of "Refurbished" Dremel printers when people start  returning them due to print problems.

+1...Especially if purchased through Home Depot or Lowe's considering their liberal return policies...

14 (edited by Tin Falcon 2014-09-20 17:29:52)

Well IMHO another step forward for 3d printing. Dremel seems to be the first main stream tool company to enter 3d printing.  We should be seeing something from HP soon.

Appears to be a relabeled/moded  flash forge dreamer.  But $300 less. It is UL listed not something I have not seen before and a concern that has come up on this forum. so a plus there.
It concerns me that the trend of the 3d software may be  to be dumbing down the amount of control in the name of ease of use.
And like the new Solidoodle release these are not due for shipping to the public for for 8 weeks  current release date Nov 5th.

I expect there will be few more announcements in the next month or two  as Christmas approaches, and lot of used 3d printers on e-bay by February  first. 

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

Well IMHO another step forward for 3d printing. Dremel seems to be the first main stream tool company to enter 3d printing.  We should be seeing something from HP soon.

Appears to be a relabeled/moded  flash forge dreamer.  But $300 less. It is UL listed not something I have not seen before and a concern that has come up on this forum. so a plus there.
It concerns me that the trend of the 3d software may be  to be dumbing down the amount of control in the name of ease of use.
And like the new Solidoodle release these are not due for shipping to the public for for 8 weeks  current release date Nov 5th.

I expect there will be few more announcements in the next month or two  as Christmas approaches, and lot of used 3d printers on e-bay by February  first. 

Tin

HP already has what they call a 3D printer for couple years now. it comes up when searching 3D printer. but its just a multi use standard paper printer lol

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs