Re: ABS/PLA Printing during pregnancy

I have only used PLA since I received my Solidoodle, mostly for similar reasons.  You can still smell it, but it is a mild "new plastic" type smell - sort of like when you get new furniture or other goods.  So if you wife is not going to want ANY smell, then you will need fume extraction.  If she can live with a smell that is more benign than the ABS smell, then PLA might be a way to go.  I find the PLA smell extremely weak, but my wife noticed it right away (she used to work in the plastics industry - and noted that it smelled "like work").
Good Luck!

Bump.... I'm in the same boat now.

Stevos758 wrote:

Bump.... I'm in the same boat now.

Nutshell - you are exposed to more hazardous chemicals taking a walk on the pavement next to a road.... or cooking with Teflon, or using Iron Skillets on an electric stove....

Semi-Nutshell - ABS is a known quantity, and despite fearmongering by some, does not release substances recognised as 'toxic' by a health authority until considerably past the temps that you would ordinarily work with ABS in 3D Printing. References to the toxicity of ABS are in relation to uncontrolled fires (where you are almost an order of magnitude hotter) or otherwise at temps ABOVE 265°C (which is the low-point of when ABS potentially can emit toxic stuff).

PLA is not such a known quantity, and whilst many lean to its 'natural' base meaning its 'healthier', are ignoring that all PLA has 'secret sauce' of which no one really knows whats in it but the manufacturer...

But at the end of the day, its probably wise to keep the increasingly-sensitive-other-half happy as they progress, because its not unusual for expectant mothers to be hyper-sensitive .... Not for any other reason than it could cause 'harmony' issues in the home if the smell of either ABS/PLA starts getting offensive during their pregnancy smile

If you have the money buy a carbon filter. There are a ton of them for sale on ebay, for people who for some reason like weeding their garden so much that they grow some sort of 'weeds' inside their house. IDK much.

If you have the time, make a carbon filter. smile. You can source good affordable carbon medium from ebay as well.  That's what I ultimately did to cut down on any fumes, but I haven't actually gotten around to installing it.

Print it up....no filters or anything.  The kid could end up with super powers!

Tomek wrote:

If you have the money buy a carbon filter. There are a ton of them for sale on ebay, for people who for some reason like weeding their garden so much that they grow some sort of 'weeds' inside their house. IDK much.

If you have the time, make a carbon filter. smile. You can source good affordable carbon medium from ebay as well.  That's what I ultimately did to cut down on any fumes, but I haven't actually gotten around to installing it.

I cant remember the source now, but I read that carbon filters are useless in this situation, not filtering any of the things you'd want filtered anyway.

As for PLA, it's often organic compounds that are the nastiest, easier for them to form bonds with organic molecules in your body. I'm not saying PLA is bad, but if ABS is a known quantity and PLA isn't then I'm sticking with ABS.

Take it to the garage. Being cold is better than birth defects.

What do you think about the basement. She never goes down there. Maybe I will only print T-glase and Nylon.

There is a very easy solution to this.  Just make your enclosure airtight!  I bought cheap weatherstripping (adhesive backed) at Home Depot (Look for the softest one) and lined all of the openings and made sure the acrylic pieces press down tightly (I am using magnetic clips that I printed with 8mm neodymium magnets to hold it firmly against the frame).  I also stuffed all of the remaining holes with little pieces of foam.  I sit right next to the thing and I can't smell anything at all!  Before this mod, the entire house would stink with the non-airtight enclosure on.  Of course it smells for about 30 seconds when I open the printer at the end, but it is a fraction of what it would be.  I think I am going to install a carbon filter inside the airtight enclosure and just turn it on for a minute at the end of every print just to clear the smell.

I know there is disagreement as to whether or not the fumes are toxic.  I like to trust my gut on this one.  The smell is pretty unpleasant and we evolved that gag reaction to warn us when we should not be breathing something in.  It's a cheap and easy mod, so I'd rather play it safe.

This is the type of thing I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-V25W-W … atherstrip

Just separate the two sides to get longer pieces, expose the adhesive, and stick it on.  You will have to cut each piece at 45 degrees when turning a corner so that they butt up perfectly with no gaps.

Post's attachments

IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG 1.75 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

35 (edited by adrian 2013-10-24 09:46:24)

^^ Just need to point out, smell is actually useless to detect noxious substances.

Cyanide, on a good day, can smell like bitter almonds, or nothing at all.... and many can't even smell the bitter almond when its there....
Sarin Gas... also has no odor
Mustard Gas, in a weaponised form, Smells like Garlic....
Carbon Monoxide is also odorless... (and a mere 400ppm is enough to kill 50% of a control group of animals)

As has been pointed out in this thread, in fact, some of most dangerous substances are entirely organic

The 'chemical smell' is purely that - a smell you are identifying as 'not natural in origin', but don't confuse that to mean 'oh my god that must be bad'....

Our sense of 'smell' is geared toward nature, not chemistry, hence almost any 'chemical' smells 'wrong' simply because we dont have a few 1000 years of living with it yet (as an isolated entity - since all chemistry is inherently 'natural' just often in unaturally occurring isolation or combination).... Meanwhile, things we have lived with for 1000s of years will happily kill you in the blink of an eye without you smelling diddly smile

So just because you smell something 'not usual that my olfactory senses are having to struggle to identify' doesn't mean its bad, and likewise - some of the most dangerous gases and substances will wave merrily at your olfactory senses, not trigger a thing, and go straight past and start eating your central nervous system.

I genuinely tip my hat to your noble efforts and applaud the methodology - in this particularly subject area (keeping the SO happy) I encourage anything that improves the 'perception' of whats happening as a good thing for marital harmony... however.. don't ever try to classify a substance as noxious or not based on how it smells - you have a high chance of being wrong, and in the examples I provided above (some being 'natural') - you would be long dead before you smelt anything.... Better to just read the MSDS related to *anything* you plan to use/work with/have around and be armed with facts smile I can list many many more things that you wont smell or see or otherwise sense that are more than capable of killing you in time spans between a heartbeat to slowly over many years.... Many of which you are experiencing everyday if you live in Modern Society smile

Incidentally - I'm not aware of any conjecture about the facts of ABS and its toxicity. I am aware of people forming opinions and restating it as fact based on 'perception' (i reckon it must be bad, so it must be....) - These are often the same people that trumpet the 'safety' of PLA whilst ignoring the fact PLA contains 'secret sauce'.... Given a choice between transparency (ABS MSDS) and 'reassurance' (PLA is natural you know! Just like Marshmallows are 99% fat free! And its MSDS is very light on...) I'll take transparency any day... particularly given how much else is killing me every day of my life living in modern society - from my Toaster that pumps out more EMF than a mobile ever can, the preservatives in my food, living in a large city through to the 'kinder to the environment but deadlier to people' switch from Leaded to Unleaded fuel....

</soapbox>

I did not mean to imply that ABS fumes are toxic only because they smell bad.  This discussion has been largely fueled by a study that measured high amounts of potentially hazardous ultra fine particles being emitted from desktop 3D printers.  The study recommended "caution...when operating in inadequately ventilated or unfiltered indoor environments":
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 013005086/

The smell is just an indicator that the particles are there and in what relative strength.

I know this is only one study and is not conclusive of anything.  The fact is that the topic has not been studied much.  3D printers for home environments have not been around long, and no robust studies have been done.  But it is not prudent to ignore the possibility just because we do not have the full picture.  And saying that our noses are "not always correct" does not discredit them as being entirely "useless to detect noxious substances".  Bad smells are still a form of detection of SOMETHING in the air.  As far as I'm concerned, the only good smell is no smell.  The bad smell of ABS fumes doesn't prove toxicity, true, but it is enough for me to be slightly concerned.  Besides, even if a study did conclusively say that ABS fumes are 100% safe, I would still recommend making an airtight enclosure or exhausting it simply because IT SMELLS BAD!:)

Everybody is entitled to do whatever they want including breathing ABS fumes all day.  I choose to play it safe, so I built an airtight enclosure ($5 mod) and have close to zero smell during printing.  I shared this because I suspect there are others like me who would rather err on the side of caution until further study is conducted.  There is nothing wrong with that.:)

This may be a bit ridiculous but if anyone is really concerned for their health, throwing an exhaust fan and carbon filter on your enclosure would be an end all solution.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Category-Carbo … ccessories

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

An exhaust fan plumbed to vent outside is the only real solution after all an airtight enclosure is only airtight until you open it to get the print out...

ronsii wrote:

An exhaust fan plumbed to vent outside is the only real solution after all an airtight enclosure is only airtight until you open it to get the print out...

Not true!  The smell/particles don't "build up" inside and then all come out when you open it.  Most of it settles somehow and when you open it after a long print, only a small amount of smell comes out.

Perhaps the best solution would be to do the airtight thing AND put a carbon filter on the inside of the machine (not exhausted, so it just filters the internal air), and only turn on the carbon filter fan at the end of a print for a few minutes.  It could even be Gcode controlled to go on automatically at the end of every print!

Btw, "airtight" as I'm describing it is not really airtight.  I just greatly reduced the total area of openings enough that the escape is minimal.

The benefits of this method over exhausting are:
1. No requirement to keep machine near a window to exhaust
2. Keeps internal ambient temperature high, whereas exhausting will lower it
3. If using a carbon filter, the filter will last MUCH longer between replacements since it only needs to scrub the leftover air at the end.
4. If done using weather-stripping (as shown in the attached photos), all enclosure panels come off just as easily as if there was nothing there.
5. It's cheap!

I haven't installed a carbon filter inside yet, and honestly, I'm in no hurry to do so since the weather stripping has done such a great job.  Seriously, it might sound crazy, but someone else should try this and back me up on how well it works.

Post's attachments

IMG_1011[1].JPG
IMG_1011[1].JPG 195.33 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1012[1].JPG
IMG_1012[1].JPG 184.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1013[1].JPG 136 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1014[1].JPG
IMG_1014[1].JPG 143.08 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Well since I never said the 'smell/particles build up inside and then all come out when you open it' ??? And I figured most people will not have the capability to make a 'real' airtight enclosure... the best solution IMHO is to vent it out of living space.... you don't need a 1000CFM exhaust blower to vent the miniscule amount of noxious emissions that are generated by a 3D printer, all that is needed is a small fan(stepper cooler...etc) ducted into a length of 3/4" vinyl tubing or similar, this gives just enough venting to create a pressure difference inside the print area, pretty simple stuff really and since you are not sucking all the hot air out of the enclosure every few minutes the print area temps stay nice and toasty smile

How do you exhaust it out of the building?  Do you have to drill a hole in the wall?  Do you leave the window open a crack and run the PVC through?  I can't do that since it gets very cold where I live, unless I build something to seal the rest of the crack.  Exhausting just seems unnecessarily complicated.  Also, doesn't it make the printer less mobile (requirement of connecting/disconnecting)?

I print in a dedicated office. She hardly ever comes in there. If I keep the door shut and the window cracked will that be ok? I'll just tell her to stay out!

Right now I have just been printing nylon. I may just have to use nylon and T-glase for the next few years!

43 (edited by Stevos758 2013-11-05 14:39:57)

Ok. I've decided to build a fully sealed box. I am thinking of trying out 2 120mm fans with a carbon filter. I may still end up venting outside.

Do you think 2 120mm fans is overkill?